Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worth it for 40 pounds?

Hi everyone. I just had my first visit with the surgeon last week. It went very well; however, he told me that the average excess weight loss over time for lap band patients is 50%. I felt that he was being very kind and realistic. My concern is this: my BMI is currently 37.8, and for me, 50% excess weight loss would be just about 40 pounds. Which would be great, and would be something I have never been able to achieve on my own... but when i am already freaking out about bills, it's giving me pause.

Despite the fact that my insurance may eventually approve (based on my BMI and comorbid sleep apnea), the bills are adding up fast. For example, I was told by the psychiatrists' office staff that I had to pay $275 out of pocket for the evaluation, which I did. However, I just got a bill from my insurance stating that I owe an additional $700. Now, I'm fairly sure there was a mix-up, but if not, then my summer plans are pretty much toast.

Every time I see a bill I feel disgusted with myself again that I can't just do this on my own. I feel like I am spending so much money to potentially lose what is not a large amount of weight. Now, don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled to be at 190 and stay there, but I keep thinking that if I fail I will have wasted money I really can't afford to spend, and (at this point in my life) my weight is not yet a life or death issue. So I am having trouble keeping motivated to continue the process.

Has anyone else felt like this? What did you decide to do? Any tips or suggestions for getting over this feeling that I am wasting money on vanity?

hi...

i can tell you that i was banded on april 21st and my insurance company initially didn't approve me because my bmi was also 37 BUT i do have sleep apnea and a thyroid condition, which pushed me right along for the approval for surgery - have your dr be persistant with your insurance company stating that this is necessary. my initial weight was 218 pounds the day of surgery, which isn't life threatening either and i'm now down to 195 lbs. i don't believe i will only loose 40 lbs with the band and neither would you if you really follow through with this - i expect to double that number and be close to 80 lbs lost when all is said and done. i did have a few out of pocket expenses like my initial dr visit, which ran me $250, then i had my psych/nutritionist eval, which was $50, then blood work, pre admit, etc. i would say i paid about $400.00 - and the rest was covered (at least i hope so) since i haven't received any bills and i'm 5 weeks out.

this is something only you can decide - if you feel this is worth it, etc. maybe you can call your insurance company and find out more information on what's covered, etc. before proceeding.

either case - good luck.

The band helps you, but a lot of your weight loss is up to you. Don't get me wrong: I've tried to lose weight for 40 years with short term success a few times, but always gained it back. Right now, at age 53, I weigh 30 lb less than I did when I graduated from high school and 13 lb less than I did when I got married. I have no real fears that I will gain it back this time, unless something drastic happens to my band. I feel free for the first time in my life.

My starting BMI was 37.6.

Remember, "average weight loss" averages in those people who were 200 lb overweight, and those who just figure they'll try lapband because their insurance will pay for it. If you are committed and willing to work, the band will work too.

I'm not trying to talk you into doing it, but I did think through some of those things before I made the decision. My surgeon also told me that the average is 50% of excess weight. But, I told myself that was the average...if I really committed myself to lifestyle, eating, behavior, and exercise changes, my chances of losing much more than the 50% were strong. Plus, my weight has only increased over time. So, if the band can help me maintain a healthier weight in the long run, then I would be doing well.

It sounds to me like you are having second thoughts...very normal. I had a surgery date 3 years ago and cancelled it a week before the surgery. It turned out it just wasn't my time.

Good luck with making a decision that is right for you!

I really wouldn't make it into a dollars per pound type of equation, because that overlooks some very important variables like sustained loss. I would (and did) look at questions like:

Can I do this on my own?

Can I maintain the loss? (I never had a problem losing, but I was perpetually gaining, or losing... never had maintenance longer than a handful of months)

Am I confident a gastric band will give me the help I need?

Is X cost worth X degree of assurance that I will finally be able to keep the weight off?

etc.

Even if we only lose 40 lbs, think of the HEALTH benefits!. I am at 9 days after my surgery and have already been able to get off Prevacid and Actos and take only 1/2 of the glucophage I did take for blood sugar. My sugar readings are in the normal range most of the time. Just the 15 lbs I've lost already has improved my mood and outlook on life. This surgery has given me hope. I pray that we all lose MORE than 50% BUT even that will be a step toward a healthier life (not to mention less money spent on prescriptions!!!)

Pray about it!

Bonbon:thumbup:

I think the doctors are conservative so as not to inflate high hopes for a swift and immediate weight loss. I have read this board extensively in the last 5 weeks and I have seen wonderful success stories that far exceed the 50% quote. I think it is all about how devoted and determined one is. I spent so much money over the last 15 years on various weight programs, medical tests, not to mention the time spent in meetings and traveling to various locations. I will simply not be happy with the 50% and will one day surpass this typical expectation. I wish I would have spent the money (I am a cash pay) years ago and would have been so much further along. In addition to the weight not have to worry about all the other potential negatives like high blood pressure, diabetes, pain in joints, etc. All of it can go!! 8-)

Hopefully it will all go! I'm already feeling alot of positives!

Docs have to be conservative. I try not to look at statistics. I've spent my whole life trying to "measure up", so just starting over from here on out will be a whole new adventure!

Bonbon

Since you have not had the surgery, I feel I have to be honest with you. I am not that happy with the band. I was banded 2/27/08 and have lost 25 pounds. I strarted at 220. First, I still feel hungry A LOT. The whole point of this was to not be hungry. I can't stand being on a diet and feeling hungry all the time. That's why diets don't work (and yes, I'm following the rules). There are days I feel very hungry on the band. I have had two fills--maybe the third one will work better (I hope). Second, the weight loss is so so slow. About a pound a week now. Most of the weight I lost was in the beginning. I really can't see losing 100 percent of my excess weight unless I take up running and really really diet. I just don't see it. So then, I'm still going to be fat after all this. My advice would be to get another type of surgery (I wish I had). If that is not an option, then do the band but realize you will have to work really hard to lose 100 percent of the excess weight. Again, maybe I will feel differently after my third fill--we'll see. I don't think you are vain for going for a small weight loss with the band (as long as you are happy with that).

I understand that 1-2 lbs a week is a healthy loss - granted we would all like to see it at 10-15 lbs.....My initial reaction is why would someone want to go through the surgery if they were not willing to really work hard at achieving the goal - which would include the food restriction/sacrifices and exercise? Obviously everyone has their own outlook and coping mechanisms but I think it would be a terrible waste of time and money not to do whatever it takes.

There are no magic pills or cures for this epidemic.:lol:

Hard work is the only way and this tool may work for some and not for others.

Bonbon

Is it worth $15k to lose than 50-80 pounds? ABSOLUTELY

For me the reason that it's worth it is that the weight is staying off.

I only needed to lose about 60 lbs. but after years of losing the same 60 pounds and gaining it back I had the surgery and have never regretted it.

I'm almost two years out and am at goal (I wanted to lose another 15 lbs, but my surgeon recommended yesterday that I stop losing. He didn't want me to become a "shadow" and since I'm at a BMI of 23 I agreed with him. :lol:

I feel better, look better, and have way more energy. Even better, I don't obsess about food like I used to. I'm rarely hungry even though I have no fill right now. It seems that the band has switched something off in my head regarding my attitude toward food.

So in all, I lost "only" 56 pounds but those pounds have made a major difference in my quality of life.

Edited by Lisa99

Average is 50% of excess. My BMI was 37 and I have lost 85% of excess. And no, I didn't work particulaly hard at it, but I did watch the food that went into my mouth. So, there is no guarantee. You just do the best YOU can.

Its worth the money to solve your weight problem forever, regardless of what you have to lose.

I had a BMI of 35 and I've lost 120% of my excess weight. That statistic is a limitation on people's BEHAVIOUR, not a limitation of the lap band itself.

It takes into account those who have complictions and those who have metabolic and medical problems, but mostly it takes account of people who just arent fully compliant, who dont exercise, who struggle to change their lifestyle, who face mental barriers to weight loss and most importantly people who are just plain HAPPY to be lighter and dont care much about reaching the magic normal BMI that some of us (me included) are so obsessed about.

To get past about 80% lost, I did have to work pretty darn hard, I ran and ran and ran and them I ran some more. Since hitting a really comfortable goal I have been able to reduce my exercise to a level that's much more tolerable for everyday living for ever more. If I stepped it up again, I guarantee I could lose more weight.

If YOU want to lose 100% of your weight and are willing to do the work you need to do to achieve that, then you will.

I agree with everything everyone said: (1) It is worth it to have the surgery for even 40 pounds because you keep it off; (2) everyone has different goals about what they want to achieve and different abilities and motivations. And let me clarify: I DO work at this. I watch what I eat but of course I trip up sometimes and although I exercise, it's not 5 days a week. I haven't had a pop since my surgery nor do I ever drink at meals. However, when I set out to have the surgery I imagined I would be the person to beat the odds and lose 100 percent of the body weight but at this point, I don't see it happening.