Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Dr. S,

I have heard about a new product called Latisse for eyelashes. Do you think this is safe? Is it like Rogaine, in that you have to use it forever for the results to last?

thank you!

Hello Dr. S,

I have heard about a new product called Latisse for eyelashes. Do you think this is safe? Is it like Rogaine, in that you have to use it forever for the results to last?

thank you!

Latisse is safe and it works. It usually takes about 6 weeks to see results and yes, you must use it forever. If you stop, the growth will stop. It is a medicine that is used to treat glaucoma. The side-effect was increased hair growth, but it does not seem to work on the head. Some people are using it off-label to promote eyelash growth, but there is no data to support this use. You can read about it at LATISSE™ Home | LATISSE™ — the first and only FDA-approved lash treatment

It is all about managing expectations. The recovery from a thigh lift is painful, but mostly because the area is sensitive and you will feel sore everytime you move - even laying on a couch or in bed can "hurt". The pain only seems to be a problem in people who did not expect it to hurt at all. Expect it to hurt, and you won't be surprised. The improvement can be significant, but you will not get super skinny, well-defined inner thighs. If you are not expecting this, then you will not be disappointed. The scars can be hidden in the groin crease, but sometimes need to extend down the inner thigh. You should all know my mantra by now - "the more you are willing to expect in terms of scarring, the better shape and contour you can get." Revisions are common, but not anymore common then the other procedures. The above information relates to only my patients and my practice, and I cannot comment about why other people, with other surgeons, have expressed being unhappy with results.

Thanks Dr. S!

If you don't mind, I have another question for you. Have you ever done the Lipo and then the actual thigh lift as separate surgeries spread a few months (or several weeks) apart? I have read that some doctors approach it in this manner as they feel it gives consistently better results.

Do you see any advantage to doing this if the patient is willing to accept the extra time and expense?

I haven't run this idea past my own Dr. as of yet, but I plan to.

Thanks Dr. S!

If you don't mind, I have another question for you. Have you ever done the Lipo and then the actual thigh lift as separate surgeries spread a few months (or several weeks) apart? I have read that some doctors approach it in this manner as they feel it gives consistently better results.

Do you see any advantage to doing this if the patient is willing to accept the extra time and expense?

I haven't run this idea past my own Dr. as of yet, but I plan to.

This is an approach that works well. It allows me to aggressively remove fat and then 6 months later the excess skin is removed. Doing it in separate procedures has the advantage of allowing more aggressive liposuction.< /p>

This is an approach that works well. It allows me to aggressively remove fat and then 6 months later the excess skin is removed. Doing it in separate procedures has the advantage of allowing more aggressive liposuction.< /div>

Thanks again Dr. S -- great info and most helpful :rolleyes::smile::crying:!

Hi...I'm 5'8" been on a diet for the past 3 months. I have lost a total of 30 lbs. But, have not been able to lose any more in the past month!!! I guess I hit my plateau. My question is, which is the best way to get my weight lost going again. I exercise everyday and eat healthy. What are the different reasons that can cause this plateau and what kind of different solutions is there out there to overcome this??? thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Dr. Schulman:

I remember seeing a picture either here or on your website of a person that had a panniculectomy only, and the results weren't anything that I would consider to be good.

I have gone from 324 to 176 and have loose skin on my lower abdomen and upper thighs. My upper abdomen is good, and I don't have any rolls above my belly button. I don't plan to lose much more weight as I'm glad to be a size 12 and I look and feel healthy at this level. I can live with the upper thigh issue, however the lower abdomen is uncomfortable for me and I am starting to get rashes all the time under the flap.

Do you have any pictures of anyone that didn't have upper abdominal fat that had a panniculectomy?

The reason why I am asking is that I am going to be laid off in a couple of months, so I don't have the $$$ for a Tummy Tuck, but it's possible that I may be able to get insurance to cover a panni. I don't want to look worse than now.

Can you please share pictures of someone that's had a panni only and the results were positive?

Thanks for all of the time that you give to the bandsters on this forum. You've been very supportive and informative to all of us.

Sue

Hi...I'm 5'8" been on a diet for the past 3 months. I have lost a total of 30 lbs. But, have not been able to lose any more in the past month!!! I guess I hit my plateau. My question is, which is the best way to get my weight lost going again. I exercise everyday and eat healthy. What are the different reasons that can cause this plateau and what kind of different solutions is there out there to overcome this??? thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

There are many reasons to "platueau", and it is impossible to guess why. It probably has more to do with your body and your metabolism "set-point." If there is a nutritionist that follows you, he or she is best to answer this. If you are not followed by a nutritionist, you should strongly consider seeing one.

Hi Dr. Schulman:

I remember seeing a picture either here or on your website of a person that had a panniculectomy only, and the results weren't anything that I would consider to be good.

I have gone from 324 to 176 and have loose skin on my lower abdomen and upper thighs. My upper abdomen is good, and I don't have any rolls above my belly button. I don't plan to lose much more weight as I'm glad to be a size 12 and I look and feel healthy at this level. I can live with the upper thigh issue, however the lower abdomen is uncomfortable for me and I am starting to get rashes all the time under the flap.

Do you have any pictures of anyone that didn't have upper abdominal fat that had a panniculectomy?

The reason why I am asking is that I am going to be laid off in a couple of months, so I don't have the $$$ for a Tummy Tuck, but it's possible that I may be able to get insurance to cover a panni. I don't want to look worse than now.

Can you please share pictures of someone that's had a panni only and the results were positive?

Thanks for all of the time that you give to the bandsters on this forum. You've been very supportive and informative to all of us.

Sue

I do have some panniculectomy pictures on my website, and while the results are not as good as a TT, I think they show a good improvement. It is just the nature of the procedure. You certainly should not "look worse" assuming you chose a good plastic surgeon! You need to find a plastic surgeon who takes great pride in his or her work...even if it is "just a panniculectomy."

Hi Dr. Schulman,

I was wondering what your recommendation is for wearing a bra/compression bra after a breast lift WITH augmentation? I have heard a couple different things, so I was curious to know your opinion?

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Dr. Schulman,

I was wondering what your recommendation is for wearing a bra/compression bra after a breast lift WITH augmentation? I have heard a couple different things, so I was curious to know your opinion?

Thanks,

Karen

I recommend a supportive bra, but not a compression bra. Compression may compromise blood flow and may also force the implant into an unnatural position. I suggest a comfortable, cotton bra (without underwire) or a sprots bra that is not too tight. This shold be worn for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Hi Dr. Schulman,

I was wondering if the non-surgical liposuction was at all effective? I am primarily concerned with my lower abdomen and thigh area. I am very reluctant to have another surgery or go under general anesthesia if there is another option. Thank you.

Hi Dr. Schulman,

I was wondering if the non-surgical liposuction was at all effective? I am primarily concerned with my lower abdomen and thigh area. I am very reluctant to have another surgery or go under general anesthesia if there is another option. Thank you.

Non-surgical liposuction (lasers and radiofrequency) has the ability to remove fat and reduce cellulite. Studies show that after a series of treatmetents, people can lose 1-3 inches from the torso. If yo have lost siginificant weight and have moderate to severe excess skin, than this may give you only a limtited improvement. If you only need slight improvement or will be satisfied with a few inch reduction, then give it a try.

Dr. Schluman- I am 20-30 lbs away from my goal weight and am trying to decide when to get my Tummy Tuck. I have had a consult with a great doctor and am very excited. My problem is this, my plastic surgeon recommends me to be as close to my goal weight as i can be/want to be before the tuck. which i completely understand. if i were to continue to lose more weight there is the possibility of my stomach becoming loose and saggy again. my thing is that i carry all of my weight in stomach. the rolls are very big and gross and hang all nasty. i have lost 50 lbs and am not not one pant size smaller because of it. the doctor told me if i thought i would be happy at my current weight, just minus the stomach then to go for it. i think i would be. i love my new legs, they are much thinner and toned, same with my arms. its just my belly that i hate now. what would your suggestion be to a patient that came to see you in my situation? like i said, i think i would be happy at this weight, just looking better, but how do i know for sure that would be the right choice? i know that is MY choice to make, i am just seeking advice. thanks.

Dear Dr. S,

What a wonderful service you provide!

Me-57, lapband, great health, 10 lbs from goal (which will make me a size 10--at my age, a 6 is not necessary). daily exerciser.

I am scheduled for a Mastopexy and Aug. My surgeon wants to do silicone ABOVE the muscle. Your thoughts on that? Most people seems to get them placed under the muscle.(I am a 38 C going to a fuller C)

I am also having Brachiplasty. Even though I am near goal, my arms are still fat--not just hanging skin, but fatty tissue in the "wings." Will I be happy with the results? Another doctor said Lipo should be done first. Can they "sculpt" the arms when there is still fat?

Thanks so much for your knowledge.