Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First test of will... i lost

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here in a couple of weeks... But tonight I feel the need to vent and maybe to feel a little sorry for myself. Yesterday my dog passed away. My little beagle, 14 years old, died in my arms. I've had her since I was 16.. and well tonight... I feel as if I lost my very best friend.

It happened yesterday morning. She was sick and I was holding her in the car on the way to the emergency clinic. I was singing to her and she looked at me and then passed away.

I didn't eat yesterday and then ate all day today. My first test of not eating my way to comfort and I failed. And as always, no comfort. I feel sick and horrible ... and in a very embaressing way, I want to go home to my mom. :)

Sorry for your loss. I truely know how devestated you are. I lost my 4 year old Beagle Reilly two weeks ago. I am saddened and feel as if my home is empty. I am not yet banded, but don't be too hard on yourself. Losing a pet is truly like losing a member of your family. Keep your spirits up. It does get better. Tamara

I am soooo sorry that you are going through this. It is understandable that it would be a tough eating day for you. You can just make a committment to do better tomorrow.

Look, we are realistically going to have set-backs in our journey, if we can accept this fact, we can continue to move forward.

You will be in my thoughts....

Stacie-

I am sorry for your lost. I just lost one of my Jack Russells two weeks ago--Checkers was almost 17 and the very first of the six JRTs that we've shared our lives with.

PLEASE don't feel bad for eating. It's a manifestation of the grief you are experiencing. You'll gain control of your eating in time but for now you have enough sorrow without worrying about your diet.

Rejoice in the 14 years you had with your sweet dog and that she died in your arms knowing you loved her....

Are you familiar with the story of the Rainbow Bridge? I won't copy it here because it always makes my cry, but just google it and you may take comfort from reading it.

Laura

Oh no! I'm so sorry that you lost your friend. It's such an awful feeling. When I lost my girl after 10 years I was heart broken for months. You have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about...grief takes many forms. You are in the process of figuring out lots of things about your life...and when you're in crisis you revert back to old ways. You'll eventually tackle crisis and trauma in more productive ways.

When I lost my girl the little old neighbor man told me that "grief was the price that we paid for loving." I'm so glad that you have something as meaningful as you did...lots of people go their whole lives without something so special.

I am so sorry for you loss. But please do not add to your pain by chastizing yourself. That is the last thing you need right now! So you had a bad day, we all do! I can't even count how many times I thought I failed just because of 1 bad day. Beating yourself up does nothing good!

Remember the good times you had with your beautiful dog. In the end that is what matters. You were a good friend to her, and she wouldn't want her friend being mean to herself!

Hugs

Awww I am so sad right now... I had a cat named Kristy and she was a house cat de-clawed in the front and everything, and one day she got out side and ran under the porch and got into a fight with a possom and started having seizures and loosing weight, we took her to the vet and he said that it looks like she may have had rabies... scared me to death because she was always there for me... When ever i was sad she would hop right in my face and make me rub her she would wait in the window for me and when i walked thru the door she would run around like crazy... i miss her so much... :):sad: Remember the good times u had because it truly is like loosing a child.. Now is not the time to beat yourself up because u did not eat like u thought u should have... I hope u start to feel better soon....

So sorry for your loss.

Don't beat yourself up over one day of comfort eating, just try to do better tomorrow. You're going to be dealing with the emotions of losing a dear pet for a while and you'll need to find healthy ways to work through them other than food. Maybe you have a friend you can walk with and talk to or you can do something small to cheer yourself up (I get pedicures).

You'll find your feet again. Keep your eyes on the prize.

By the way, having been a lifelong pet owner, and a mother who knows, losing a pet is NOTHING like losing a child, but I can imagine you might think so.:)

Stacie, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Just try and stay focused on eating like a bandster. Maybe journaling or something like that may help.

I am so sorry for your loss. Try not to beat yourself up about the overeating. A lot of us are emotional eaters here- and I'm sure most (if not all) of us struggle with emotional eating once in a while.