Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not suitable for LAP Banding? :(

Hi All

Im a newbie, and am thinking about getting gastric banding done. Im still in the process of finding the right surgeon to do the op. I have approached a few and have been told that they dont feel that lapband would be suitable for me because of my high bmi. I don't really want to go down the route when they start taking bits of my stomach or gastric bypass. I'm currently 390lbs and wanted to know if anyone started around a similar weight and have or is going to be banded?

if so, were to told to reach a certain weight before they would operate?

Thanks

H xx

Well how tall are you? I dunno about a minimum weight, but I'm at 360 and 6'4. So I'm close to you in weight.

I am. Just jumping through all of the insurance hoops right now.

At your weight and height, I don't see why they wouldn't band you. By my calculations, your BMI is sitting at about 56. It's a perfectly logical BMI to get this procedure done. But then again, I'm not a bariatric surgeon.

And I'm with you. I'm doing this because I don't want parts of my intestines bypassed. Being a med student, I know all too well how dangerous GBP is.

It depends on how tall you are, too. Another forum has folks that were in 400-500 that are being quite successfull with their bands. I don't think you are in the danger zone.

If your doctor is reluctant, seriously question his reasons. Voice your concerns and/or find another doctor.

I am. Just jumping through all of the insurance hoops right now.

At your weight and height, I don't see why they wouldn't band you. By my calculations, your BMI is sitting at about 56. It's a perfectly logical BMI to get this procedure done. But then again, I'm not a bariatric surgeon.

And I'm with you. I'm doing this because I don't want parts of my intestines bypassed. Being a med student, I know all too well how dangerous GBP is.

That's exactly what i thought, i thought i would be a good candidate, but according to him guess not. Guess i will have to continue in my search. Like you said, the GBP route personally i dont feel is right for me, Good luck with getting your op done. Hope the insurance doesn't hold you up to much!

It depends on how tall you are, too. Another forum has folks that were in 400-500 that are being quite successfull with their bands. I don't think you are in the danger zone.

If your doctor is reluctant, seriously question his reasons. Voice your concerns and/or find another doctor.

Thanks for the reply stitchy, the way the doctors are going on over here looks likes im going to have to comes to the states to get banded. lol How much is the procedure privately in the states? Or does it vary state to state?

Thanks

H

I don't see why anyone wouldn't be successful with the band if they could control their food consumption. However, my Dr. did tell me that people with BMI's over 50 had a more difficult time losing weight with the lap band and that they usually suggested the gastric bypass for people with higher BMI's. I'm not sure I buy it as it's clear that many people here had BMI's over 50 and did wonderfully.

Whatever you decide, make sure that it's your decision and not your Drs. If you feel more comfortable with the band then do the research and go for it. However, make sure you know that the weight comes off much faster and much "easier" with gastric bypass than it does with the lap band.

I felt like my Dr. was steering me towards gastric bypass surgery and I really put my foot down. Once he realized that gastric bypass surgery wasn't an option then we focused solely on the band and how it would work for me.

My surgery was covered by my health insurance...and costs almost $30,000.00. A friend of mine had the surgery done privately because she had no comorbidities and went to Denver to have it done for less than $9,000.00. She's doing wonderfully.

I wasn't willing to pay out of pocket for my surgery. I was willing to put up a fight with my insurance company if need be as they cover the surgery for a tremendous amount of people.

Thanks for the reply stitchy, the way the doctors are going on over here looks likes im going to have to comes to the states to get banded. lol How much is the procedure privately in the states? Or does it vary state to state?

Thanks

H

I think it varies doctor to doctor. I had mine done in Washington State and cost me $17,000 two years ago. If you are coming from the UK you probably want someone on the east coast. I can put you in touch with someone that could help you find a good doc. PM me if you want more info.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't be successful with the band if they could control their food consumption. However, my Dr. did tell me that people with BMI's over 50 had a more difficult time losing weight with the lap band and that they usually suggested the gastric bypass for people with higher BMI's. I'm not sure I buy it as it's clear that many people here had BMI's over 50 and did wonderfully.

Whatever you decide, make sure that it's your decision and not your Drs. If you feel more comfortable with the band then do the research and go for it. However, make sure you know that the weight comes off much faster and much "easier" with gastric bypass than it does with the lap band.

I felt like my Dr. was steering me towards gastric bypass surgery and I really put my foot down. Once he realized that gastric bypass surgery wasn't an option then we focused solely on the band and how it would work for me.

Hi,

I think that's a really important point that you made, about it being my decision and not the doctors. When he said that to me i felt he had no real background for saying it. Like you said people with bmi, in the 50 and even 60's have lost with the gastric band. I dont mind that the weight loss is slower, even if i loose 1lb a week i would be so happy. My problem is being consistant with my weight loss, im a typical yo-yo dieter and i feel it really time to stop and get serious about trying to drop my excess lbs.

My surgery was covered by my health insurance...and costs almost $30,000.00. A friend of mine had the surgery done privately because she had no comorbidities and went to Denver to have it done for less than $9,000.00. She's doing wonderfully.

I wasn't willing to pay out of pocket for my surgery. I was willing to put up a fight with my insurance company if need be as they cover the surgery for a tremendous amount of people.

$30,000...wow! Was that the lap band procedure? Well done for putting your foot down with your insurance company, $30,000 is alot of money to shell out for an individual. How are you doing since you had your op?

My bmi was almost 60 and im only 5'7 and my starting weight was 382. My doctor told me he can tell me or steer me toward any surgery all he could do was my sure i was educated which i was and then let me make the decision that is best for me.

Like everyone has said, ask him why he feels you are not a good candidate for the lap band. He might have personal reservations against it. A lot of doctors won't perform some surgeries based on that. My surgeons refuse to do GBP because they feel it is too dangerous.

Edited by drew05

I would also question your Dr about why he doesn't feel your a good candidate...my BMI was over 70 and i wanted gastric bypass when i first went in and my Dr. suggested lap-band which i chose and have had my band for 4 months and lost 104 pounds.

My first meeting with my surgeon was in February. My BMI was 58 and my weight was 358. He won't do the LapBand if you are over a BMI of 50. I was really pissed at first that I was "too fat for WLS". I buckled down and have now lost 48 lbs. My BMI is 49.9. My surgery is TODAY. I am up in the middle of the night because I can't sleep. I am very nervous, but very excited. I think that brick walls are there to see how badly you really want something. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for all the replys everyone. I have booked another appointment with my doctor to see what excatly what his reasons are, and if he still refuses i will see another doctor. Good luck with your surgery Sydney! Wish you all the best x

by the way how long did it take you to loose 48lbs?

H