Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

My husband and I got to Dallas on Thurs evening and I had a yummy chocolate chip cookie and a diet Dr Pepper before bed.

I was told to be at the surgery center at 6:30 for a 7:30 surgery. At 8:10am they finally called me back to preop where I changed into the lovely gown and socks. I met with Dr Benevides' PA and then met with the anesthesiologist. I told him that I was sensitive to anesthetic and asked if he could lighten up on it just a little bit. They put the leg massagers on, wheeled me to the or and that was it.

The rest of the day is very blurry (the anesthesiologist didn't lighten up). They did the upper GI, made me walk and around 12:00, sent me home.

We went back to the hotel and I slept mostly, only waking up to walk, take Gas-x and pain medicine and drink. The worst was the middle of the night - had a lot of gas pain under my rib cage and shoulder blades, my incisions were bleeding and I couldn't get comfortable in the bed. Fortunately, I'd brought a small pillow to hold against my stomach and it has been a lifesaver.

We drove home yesterday (Saturday) morning and it was the longest 2 hours of my life. Since I've been home, I haven't done much: took a shower and slept a lot. Today I've had 2 Protein shakes, Vitamin Water, yogurt and sipped on Water all day. Feel much better than yesterday, but still feel like I've been run over by a truck. I had an "OMG what have I done moment" this morning, but that passed and I'm excited to be starting this phase of my journey.

Ready to take another nap - more tomorrow. sleep well peeps!

Hi Sandy - so glad things are going well for you. I talked to a nurse practitioner where I am having my surgery and she said that I should be able to go to work the next day...but it doesn't sound like that is the case from the stories I have been reading. I guess there are other factors that go into that. I am taking 5 days off just in case but it sounds like if you did have to go to work the next day it might have been difficult.

Are you actually hungry? Glad to hear that you are doing well!

There is absolutely no way I could've gone to work the day after my surgery. Some of that may be due to the anesthetic, but I just got out of the shower and I am very shaky - I couldn't drive if my life depended on it. Everybody is different, though - I've read stories on here about people going shopping the day after. The other thing I realized this morning is that I'm 56 - and my body won't bounce back like it used to.

Hungry? I'm not sure that's the right word. I have felt EMPTY a couple of times, but I've been drinking lots of fluids, too. I'm just sleeping a lot (and having weird dreams - again, from the anesthetic, I'm sure) and walking in between naps. I did drink a Protein shake this morning with a scoop of Protein and I feel too full, so the next time I'm going to drink 4 oz rather than 8 oz.

My surgery was on Dec 27 2011.I got there at 10:30 Had to be there at 11:00 for surgery at 1:00 pm.they didn't take me back until 12:15 because no room so they said we have to rush rush.they had a hard time putting IV in maybe 6 tries and 3 nurses.they finally got it. Then they put a injection in my belly for blood clots.a little after I started to cough and had chest pain so right away they did ekg and chest xray. So this took awhile. It was already 1:30 so I missed my turn had to wait till everything was OK so at 2:30 it was my turn.they put me in operating table and gave me a shot and said goodnight. I didn't wake up till 4:30 they gave me some tea.and I had to go to bathroom right after they took me to do xray and drink that nasty stuff they had to take 3 xray so three times I drank that stuff.everything looked good so went back to my room and they just monitored me so I didn't throw up and had no pain so I went home at 10:45 pm. They gave me percocet I filled that and finally went home.I wasn't in a lot of pain this morning I felt a little pain took my meds but no gas or pain in shoulder.

same doctor but I had mine done on the 29th-good luck :)

I was banded on the 16th of Dec. After surgery my doctor came by and said everything went fine and had me drink some Water. He was concerned because my band was very tight going on. It seemed okay and I was able to drink about a half cup of Water. On the way home I vomited and kept doing do every couple hours. I called him and he said to give it until the next afternoon. Worst time of my life, I couldn't hold anything down, not even medications.

Long story short I had to go in and have the band replaced the next night. I still think my doctor is great, he called me constantly to make sure I was okay. Just maybe he should have went with the larger band to start with, and he admitted that, he just thought I would be fine with the smaller one.

Down about 18lbs now, just had my first fill but still feel like I can eat too much. My doctor said just give him some time and he will get me to where I want to be. Just be patient.

Hi fellow Bandsters,

I finally got up the courage to write my surgery story; I was banded on 1/24. It has photos to go along with it, so I put it on my blog. I hope you will read it and give me your feedback! http://lapbandbarbie.com/

Cheers,

Jen

Hi fellow Bandsters,

I finally got up the courage to write my surgery story; I was banded on 1/24. It has photos to go along with it, so I put it on my blog. I hope you will read it and give me your feedback! http://lapbandbarbie.com/

Cheers,

Jen

Jen, You are a trip. I enjoyed reading your blog and I hope everything is going good for you. I am going in on the 16th for my banding. I hope like hell they are not playing Michael Jackson in the operating room because I will freak out. LOL... Thanks for sharing.

Just had my lap band put in today (it's 1am now). My anasteciologist (sp?) was great, I was in the operating room and then I blinked, and I was in the recovery room. I felt pretty alert and not too uncomfortable. My throat was really dry and all I wanted was some Water. Once they moved me to the short stay room I was able to drink some Water and the pasty protien drink. I was very anxious to get home because I kept wanting to get up and walk around. I was out of surgery by about 11am and didn't leave the hospital until 4 or so. My upper back reallly ached from the gas, and it still does. My surgical assistant said that gas-x doesn't do much since the gas is actually in my abdominal cavity and not in my GI but a lot of people on here say it's very helpful so I'll probably pick some up tomorrow. My insides deffinately feel like they got stirred up and as the main pain supressant from surgery wore off, my tummy deffinately felt very tender with a few spikes of pain as I tried to get up out of bed. The drive home felt horrible and cause me to dry heave as soon as I got out of the car.

It's been hard to tell if I'm hungry or if I'm just soar (probably both) and I am slowly feeling less discomfort when I take deep breaths. I'm feeling a little shivery on the inside and running slightly warm at 99 dagrees but was told to not worry unless it breaks 101, it's just my body freaking out. Incision sights look pretty knarly right now, but I assumed as much. They just used surgical "glue" so that the damage to my skin would be as minimal as possible.

Reading everyone's posts, it sounds like I should expect to start feeling noticably better in a couple of days. My doc also told me to get walking as soon as I can to aid the healing process and move the gas out. I'm probably going to pick up some Milk of Magnesia since I haven't had a bowl movement and I wonder if that's whats causing my additional discomfort.

All in all it went well, just... let's face it, surgery kinda sucks.

weight.png

I went in this morning to the surgery center at 7am. They got me in right away. By about 7:45, I had my IV, spoke to the doctor and was getting ready for my procedure. The staff was excellent at this surgery center. They were very friendly, informative and showed concern for my well being. They kept me up to date on everything that they were doing.

I was out of there by 10:30. It was so nice to go home to my comfortable bed. Before I left, they went over all th discharge info and the doctor checked on me again. It was nice to know that they were thinking of my well being and not just being another number.

Everything went so beautifully and fast, I was amazed. I can definitely fell pain in my upper abdomen but it's ok with the meds. I am looking forward to my continuing journey and the rewards it offers. I pray to have more energy and agility to spend with my family.

I was just banded yesterday 2/10, I'm in lots of pain. I'm having a hard time laying down and getting up. It feels like I have a bag of bricks in my belly. It hurts horribly when I cough. I'm anxiously waiting for this pain subdue.

Take your pain meds as directed and WALK as much as possible. Also, holding a small pillow over your stomach, especially when you cough or sit up, helps tremendously. I slept with mine for the first 3 days (I was banded 12/30).

I found that wearing one of those waist slimmer work out bands helps a lot. I don't have to walk slouched over and don't have to hold a pillow to move or cough. It keeps me from hurting as bad. I have also had to take my tylenol3 regularly which I did not think I would need. Boy am I glad I had them filled. Tylenol helps during the day but I can feel the bruising and pain and now it all itches. Guess that is a good sign of healing.

:) accidentally hit enter twice

Oh thank you both for the advise!

Oh thank you both for the advise!