Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Must Have My Band Removed!

So, is your insurance going to pay for it? Everyone keeps telling me it will get better. I can't stand this feeling I have and I hate watching people eat. I know that I chose this becuase of the way I eat but, I am beginning to wonder if it's really worth it.

Yes, my insurance is paying for the removal (Thank God), but I planned to pay for it out of pocket if I was denied.

As for YOUR situation, I can't say whether this surgery is really worth it or not because there are many people who have no complications and adjust very well. But no matter what I or a happily banded person says, just remember, DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU!!!

I truly hope you get thru this okay! Keep us posted!

Debbygburg, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Have you considered some counseling to help deal with any food issues you might have. I think this might help whether you keep your band or not.

Best of luck to you.

I completely agree with MsJai. You must do what is right for you.

Edited by Hastings

I started suffering from panic attacks about a year ago. I have my band for 6 months. Yesterday I had one beacause I drnak coffee w/ caffeine and thought I couldn't breathe. I wanted to run and get my husband, he was mowing the lawn. Instead I took Ativan ,put it under my tongue and hugged my doggie and tried to relax. It's very hard, but I feel like I can't breathe and will faint, but haven't fainted. My doggy was relaxed to, he started snoring LOL, then I was better. Only Decaf now.

Jelbel.

Don't remove your band..... have patience, you will look beautiful after.

So, is your insurance going to pay for it? Everyone keeps telling me it will get better. I can't stand this feeling I have and I hate watching people eat. I know that I chose this becuase of the way I eat but, I am beginning to wonder if it's really worth it.

I am very sorry to hear that you're having a problem. In my opinion, which is just that - my opinion, June 9th is pretty recent. I'm not sure what you meant by "I know that I chose this because of the way I eat"....are you referring to now, or referring to the fact that you got the lap band due to previous habits? Either way, the band is a tool - I remember my doctor "sighing" when I told him I didn't understand why I wasn't losing weight....then I thought about all the stuff I ate and realized it was me...not the band.

I've been through alot in 2008 - a break up, losing my job, the trauma of surgery and not being able to eat when I'm stressed, and it's been slow -but it is coming off. The "head hunger" is the worst I've had to struggle with but I am living with it...it does get easier.

Do what you have to do for yourself - only you can make that decision. If you decide to keep the band, then I wish you the best of luck. If not, that is ok too.

I was banded in March 2004....I had the band removed in Feb.2008. So almost 4 years.

I would say it might be swelling around the band area..but since May 9th...seems long. Did you go back to the dr and let them look at your band placement recently? Just like when you get a fill; they look at your band while you drink the contrast barium stuff.That would show if maybe there was slippage or its up to high..or whatever possibly could be the problem.

Sometimes bending the wrong way can move it if they did not secure it. I know I was scared at first that mine had snapped because I felt pain in the port area..but it was a healing process. Sometimes the band just has to settle in place. Have you vomitted or had agita(acid reflux)

You mentioned the lungs and breathing...do you know what size band they gave you? Sometimes the band is too small and you need the bigger one. Just guessing here..I would ask for a endoscopy.

Not sure if the last comment was for me, but my band is coming out next week. The last time I was in the hospital, the physician said that I would, at least, need to have the band surgically repositioned....

Hey all,

I just wanted to update you guys and let you know that I had my band removed yesterday!!!! I am already beginning to feel much better!! No more esophageal spasms and chest pains (well besides the slight pain from the air they blow in your abdomen during surgery)!!!

I have found a WHOLE new appreciation for food and myself and I am fully determined to lose the weight thru a trainer and sensible diet. I picked up some good habits during my two months of the bandid-o life :tt2: that I am certain will help me longterm!

Anyway, I will keep you all updated and thanks again for all the support (even though my surgeon doesn't seem to be....whole other story).

MsJai28

UPDATE

I was just discharged from the hospital. I was admitted yesterday because my chest pains became constant and shortness of breath was not getting better. Anyway, I was evaluated (scans and x-rays done) and there were no pulmonary embolisms, but said the physicians said I will need to get the band repositioned (or possibly removed).

Have they also run a battery of blood test? Make sure you do not have a blood infection which is checked by a blood culture. Good luck. I hope they find out what is wrong. One more thing do you have lytex (spelling) allergy? If you do it could be the band.

I really want my band removed. I have had it for a year and my hair is very thin and falling still everyday. My doctor recommende d 1000 mg of Biotin. It's still falling. I have had my food stuck and hospitalized . I have always had thick beautiful hair and I am losing a lot. I need help desperately. Iknow that if I had the band removed I could get all of my nutrition . I want to know does the stomach return to its natural shape? I need help and I am very desperate for my hair and thickness.

I want my band removed. My hair is thinning and falling out still and it has been a year.I have always had thick beautiful hair. Everything I read has assumptions not facts. I did not know the side effects and had I known I would have never done this. I need real answers and band removal. Help I want my hair and natural health.

Hi,

It sounds like you need a cardiologist, if you get winded by

doing small task and your finger nails having been turning blue on

you. Also it can be possible that you are alllergic to the material

in the band. They can do what we call Immunoglobins, and check

to see if antibodies are in your system. Certain immunoglobins are

markers for allergens. Hoped this helped ( I am an RN)

I want my band removed. My hair is thinning and falling out still and it has been a year.I have always had thick beautiful hair. Everything I read has assumptions not facts. I did not know the side effects and had I known I would have never done this. I need real answers and band removal. Help I want my hair and natural health.

Is your hair your only problem? If it is I would take hair falling out over high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, short ness of breath and not fitting into chairs, etc any day. Of course if it is causing you other problems you need to take care of yourself. Good luck & health to you.