Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Swallowed Gum and it won't go down!

I really need some advise if any of you have done this.

I accidentally swallowed a piece of gum at 11:30 today, I have not been able to eat anything or keep even fluids in. I have voimited, and slimed myself many times over the past hours. I called the Dr and he said either wait till morning and just see what happens, or go to the emergency room and maybe one of the Dr.'s on call can help.

Has any of you experienced this before and if so what did you do?

Thanks for your help!

I can't help you I haven't been banded yet but I did wondeer about this. It looks like gum, hard candy or even a breath mint would realy hurt if you accidently swallowed it.

I hope someone can answer your question but I wouldn't wait long if it gets very painful, go to ER to be on safe side

Good Luck:sad_smile:

This is just a shot in the dark but have you tried sipping on something very hot coffee/tea/broth even Water. It may help melt it a little so that it can get past the band?!

I remember reading about this on an old thread--they suggesting drinking vegetable oil--it might soften the gum and allow it to slide through...

Hey guys -- I've been banded for 5 years now and for most of that time my band acted just as it should. It's slipped right now so I'll be going in for revision surgery in July and I'm certain my band slipped because I had a too tight fill and waited an entire weekend before getting the fill taken out. But I thought that I'd offer my advice as an experienced bandster. I am not a doctor or any other type of health care provider.

Call around to some local urgent care centers and/or emergency rooms tonight. Ask if they have anyone on staff who is willing to take your fill out (I'm assuming that you have some fill in there now). Tell them that it's the same kind of port as a port-a-cath for chemotherapy (I know from personal experience with those), fairly simple to access. They don't need flouroscopy to to un-fill you. I'm betting that with the fill out the gum will pass -- then just treat your pouch carefully for a week to 10 days -- Clear liquids to mush before trying solids again. Go to your fill Dr for a re-fill after you're all healed up.

Your band doctor told you to go to the ER and maybe one of the doctors could help?? Uh, what about HIM helping??

I don't know whether it's true or not, but I've heard here on LBT that surgery is required.

I googled solvents for chewing gum and saw one that you could try: warm vinegar. Doesn't sound very pleasant, but better than surgery.

Please let us know how you do.

Anurse at my doc's office told me yesterday an oz of wine will sometimes help relax the esophagus to help pas stucked stuff. She said also some meat tenderizer in warm water...dont' know effects on gum though. I will be very curious to see how your outcome goes, pls let us know!

Oh goodness, first of all, I'm sorry... this cannot be a pleasent experiance...

Drink something warm warm warm. It's the only was to dislodge something that's stuck. I don't think vegetable oil is the solution, but I think HOT tea would work.

If you keep throwing up, it can lead to band slippage. You need to call another local band doctor, because it sounds like your current one isn't that great.

If you are still sick, you have to go to the ER. This really isn't something to joke about...

I hope it helps. Keep us updated and tell us what worked or is you had to go in to the doctor.

Hi Yes, I tried hot tea--no luck. I then remember reading in one of the post that pineapple juice helped when meat got stuck--did not work on the gum. After 15 hours of it being stuck and vomiting I went to the ER and had to have all my Fluid removed from my band:sad_smile:

I had to do something. But thanks for all your imput!

Hi, so gum is a big no, no? Did you swallow a whole piece of gum or chewed gum?

Hi Yes, I tried hot tea--no luck. I then remember reading in one of the post that pineapple juice helped when meat got stuck--did not work on the gum. After 15 hours of it being stuck and vomiting I went to the ER and had to have all my Fluid removed from my band:sad_smile:

I'm glad you were finally able to get some relief, but what a bummer to have to get some of your fill remove.

I've read that Adolf's meat Tenderizer with pineapple juice helps get foods unstuck.

I am so glad to hear that, I was worried.

I really need some advise if any of you have done this.

I accidentally swallowed a piece of gum at 11:30 today, I have not been able to eat anything or keep even fluids in. I have voimited, and slimed myself many times over the past hours. I called the Dr and he said either wait till morning and just see what happens, or go to the emergency room and maybe one of the Dr.'s on call can help.

Has any of you experienced this before and if so what did you do?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, been there-done that....won't do it again!

I had a jumbo gumball w/o thinking....about 2 months after being banded...after my second fill....after getting restriction. It was in the evening. The next morn I tasted the gum in my mouth... I just knew it was lingering in my esophogas/pouch.

Went to the ER.... GI, under a general....they had to retrieve it with the netting thing. Woke up in recovery....went home.

Now, another option is simple...go to your fill doc. Get an unfill....with the needle still in you drink Water or something til you feel it go down. Then the doc will simply replace the Fluid.

Your choice!

But you did just fine with the action you took. Hopefully others will learn from you and I.

Edited by VegasGrace

i'm glad to know that you are okay. i was a complete gum addict prior to surgery, but i have been so afraid of accidentally swallowing it (which i rarely do, but still), that i haven't chewed it since surgery.

i know how it feels to be completely blocked.... it sucks!!! and it doesn't take long to get dehydrated (i went almost 36 hours with no fluids..including spit...because i was stuck with strawberry seeds....strawberry seeds...who would have thought something so little could do that..apparantely they bunch together).

so glad you are better though, i bet that was scary. hopefully you can get your fill back after you heal.

Gosh sorry to hear about your dilemma and glad you got it solved

I chew gum at the gym as it keeps my mouth moist - the other day I swallowed a piece ( I am just talking about 1 stick of gum) I said OH SH*t but you know what - I had no problems -- i guess it just slid right through and I do have restriction - but it was only one little piece not like a wad of bubble gum or 5 sticks of gum...