Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TLBC Clinic- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello: I was banded in June 2006 and reached my goal of 100 lbs off in the first year.....and I have maintained it nicely since.

I was banded by Dr. Joffe and Dr. Yau at the TLBC. I live 2 hours north east of Toronto and because of my schedule through self employment I was not able to visit the clinic for my fills for the first 4 months due to my busy season. Dr. Joffe sent me home with an instructional DVD for my GP all about giving fills. I gave it my Dr. and he said that he would gladly help me out. All I had to pay was $3.00 for the bottle of saline. Contrary to what most people say here at this site and what others may think until they have actually had a fill....they really are not that big of a deal for most of us. Some have had legit problems with locating the port, but not all of us have the problem. The fills I experienced were painless and rather simple, hell.....I think I could have even done it myself if allowed.

If my Dr. can do this then I really don't understand why other GPs won't, or can't. And what I really don't understand is how come all I had to do was mention the fact that I was from out of town and not able to travel for fills for the first four months and the DVD was handed to me.....I didn't even know that such a thing existed.

And I'm not sure I understand your complaint Jorja78.....do you think that maybe their suggestion that you have your fills done in Sudbury was a courtesy response since it may save you some travelling time.....your fills would probably be covered in Sudbury under the TLCB contract, right?

So how come you other out-of-town folks were not given the same courtesy...and if my GP can do this, then why can't your's? Confused.

Edited by Woodys

Very simple, you have a wonderful doctor. Some doctors do not consider the CD as training nor do their assocations. My doctor said he would then backtracked. Also, support is not 100% fills. Support is being able to get answers to worries or questions ASAP. As the band is a new experience, I had some concerns in the first year. Now I am a bit more comfortable and we have an established support group things have gotten better. The fact Slimband staff did not consider travel costs and just cancelled the fill appointments is a classic problem I went through. They did a blanket cancellation with no thought to the expenses long distant travellers must pay. All though all the staff are very nice there just seems to be a lack of communications between each other. Hopefully, things will improve as this new group get themselves organized.

Hello: I was banded in June 2006 and reached my goal of 100 lbs off in the first year.....and I have maintained it nicely since.

I was banded by Dr. Joffe and Dr. Yau at the TLBC. I live 2 hours north east of Toronto and because of my schedule

That is really too bad that some Drs don't consider a CD training...as such. Because, I watched the cd and there was very little involved in giving a good fill.....I wouldn't call it training, I would call it information.

And as for support, I was never denied a quick email response or return telephone call.....all my questions got answered quickly and efficiently and with care and concern. I guess I just got lucky.

Carol

Hi all, Peaches, I have not been banded yet. I have been waiting since 2005 to get in to see the bariatric surgeon. Now I've had my first appointment with him and have gone for the 8 hour information session. Next step will be to sign consent forms, then I will go back for testing and x-rays and buy Optifast at that time. I will go back 1 week pre-op again. I am weighed at every visit. If at any step in this process I gain weight, my surgery will be postponed and I go back to step 3. Since my info session, I have gained 5 pounds. Now I am dreading the phone call to come and sign consents. YIIKES

Woodys - thanks for your comments. I am in London and had Dr. Joffe also but had the surgery in Sarnia. It's been a lot of travelling - to Sarnia probably about ten times and to Scarborough three times too - and still I'm not even at the starting point yet. Boy - this better work!

I travel back anf forth from Thunder bay for fills and boy do I wish I had the DVD! There was a Dr that did have one but he will not do it. I had a fill about 2 weeks ago, everything was go until I came back and boom too tight. Horrible could barely drink Water. Now that I changed my plane ticket and I am going to Toronto, Things seem better. I was able to eat a little last night. I will ask for a dvd when I am there on Thursday...Nancy fron TLBC gave me some good advice

I'm just catching up with these posts and boy, if I owned a company like tlbc, I'd be reading these complaints and doing something about it. This is terrible PR for them if they are telling people something and then people are finding out it isn't true! Why waste money on ads if this is killing that good will?

I don't have any huge issues with them, but I had an appointment with Jill a few weeks before she left and they waited until 5:30 the day before my appointment to tell me that it was cancelled. I was annoyed, but luckily I work for myself and it just inconvenienced me. And they are terrible at returning calls generally.

I hope someone there is listening, as more people may just go to their competitors!

Mary

Yes, get everything in writing. A contract is a must. I didn't and the clinic has been very good and honouring their verbal contract with me, but times are a changing so I would suggest you get everything in a contract such as band replacement warrantee, fills, port relocation or adjustment, etc.

I have my consult this Wed with Kathy. Anything I should expect or any advice you can give?

Thanks

They promised me a gift certificate for god knows where...for all the trouble they put me through for trying to cancel my first fill. So when I got to my fill appt they didnt have it on them and that they will send it to me....I bet it never shows up!

to kimmaylynn - ask what kind of band they use. I'm the second Johnson and Johnson I've heard of that required a second surgery - not fun. Also wasted seven months getting to the point of starting all over again.

Good luck.

I'm just catching up with these posts and boy, if I owned a company like tlbc, I'd be reading these complaints and doing something about it. This is terrible PR for them if they are telling people something and then people are finding out it isn't true! Why waste money on ads if this is killing that good will?

I don't have any huge issues with them, but I had an appointment with Jill a few weeks before she left and they waited until 5:30 the day before my appointment to tell me that it was cancelled. I was annoyed, but luckily I work for myself and it just inconvenienced me. And they are terrible at returning calls generally.

I hope someone there is listening, as more people may just go to their competitors!

Mary

Boy - I agree. I wish I'd read some of this stuff before I got involved. I'd have known some of the questions to ask.

This not getting back to people is a real pain.

I quess I have been just lucky, but they have so far always got back to me the same day or the next morning.

Nancy and Jill have been great ! :smile2:

Woodys - thanks for your comments. I am in London and had Dr. Joffe also but had the surgery in Sarnia. It's been a lot of travelling - to Sarnia probably about ten times and to Scarborough three times too - and still I'm not even at the starting point yet. Boy - this better work!

It definitely does work. You still have to work hard at it because there are ways to sabotage your efforts and you will either not lose or you'll gain. However.....if you manage your eating, your fills and all other instructions from the clinic the way they are intended, then it will work for you.

I'm really sorry......but I've been doing this since June 06 and it makes me so angry when I read some posts at this site...not necessarily this thread, but at this site. I read excuse after excuse and I can tell that this will not work for that individual. Boy oh boy, when are they going to get their heads out of their butts and get serious about making this work. There is no magic wand or magic pill and I can tell that some are still in search of that.

I am at goal, 100 lbs lighter. I am a whole new person, I look at life differently and I experience great quality of life because I work at it. I would do this again in the blink of an eye....it saved my life.....actually, it gave me my life back.

Carol

I have my consult this Wed with Kathy. Anything I should expect or any advice you can give?

Thanks

RELAX....yes, you should get a contract but for heaven's sake.....you are embarking on an adventure that will bring you much happiness. You should be going into this appointment looking forward to what's ahead for you. Believe me, if you follow Dr's instructions and keep up with managing your fills and info from the nutritionist, this will be the best thing that you've ever done for yourself.

So....forge on, go into this with excitement and happiness that there will be an end to your obesity. And shame on those who have their 'warnings' and make this a scary venture for you.

Good Luck.

Carol