Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been reading the forum a lot and it seems most people were put on a pre-op diet for 2 weeks before thier surgery. My surgery is 3 weeks away and no one has said anything to me about a pre-op diet. Is it weird that my doctor doesn't require a liquid diet before? I am trying to ween myself off the foods I know I can't have after the surgery now, but should I be doing more?

My doctor doesn't require a pre-op diet either. I've talked to a couple of people who have used him and they've said that they had no problems. I think some doctors put their patients on a pre-op diet to shrink the liver.

I was a little concerned about this as well, but I'm just doing my own thing and probably going on liquids on my own a week before surgery. Hope this helps a bit.

My doctor did not require a pre-op diet and I suffered no complications related to the liver etc. I was concerned but am about 2 weeks post op and feeling great. Every doctor is different in his/her approach to this surgery. Follow your physician's guidelines for he/she has considered you as an individual case with individual needs. Wishing you the very best!

Tammygifl

hi,my doctor has given me a 2 week post op diet of all liquids too. The paper work says it's because of the liver. They also cleverly put that if the liver is too big, then they might have to stop the surgery. Boy, if that doesn't make you want to watch your P's and Q's.:thumbup:

My doctor did not require a pre-op diet. My surgery went well. As far as doing more I would just say try to cut out the things you will not be able to have anymore. I was a HUGE diet coke person and I stopped drinking it before surgery. I can't say that I wouldn't love to have one right now but I know I am doing the right thing. Good luck with your surgery.....keep us posted!!!

My Dr. said no pre-op diet for me since I am only 100lbs over.

My doctor asked me to be on Optifast for 2 weeks before surgery to shrink the liver. However my sister was banded 2 years ago and her surgeon never asked her to do a preop diet. She's doing great! I guess different doctors have different approaches. I would say listen to your doctor. I'm listening to mine although I know that my sister did just fine without a preop diet.

Hello,

I ask my doc the same question, they called me one day before my surgery and told me to stop eating any foods and get on clear liq asap.

you may not be required to go on one, but i personally, would do it anyway. The reason behind it is to shrink your liver to make the surgery easier, and I am all about making it as safe as possible. My doc actually requires it and it hasnt been bad at all.

I asked my coordinator about why some people end up on preop diets and some don't....according to her it has nothing to do with the amount you are overweight--it has more to do with age! The older a person is the more likely they are to have a fatty liver.....so I guess I'm gonna be stuck with one....:party:

I don't know about that one, JRT:rolleyes2:. I am 50 and did not have a pre-op diet. You are not that far ahead of me and I can not imagine what could happen to a liver in 3 short years:huh2:. Any hoo, I suppose it's all good and the most important thing is that we are able to have the surgery and get going on being healthier. The best to you!

Tammygirl

my surgery is may 22nd, and my surgeon does not require a pre-op diet.

ive talked to dozens of people who've had him, and they said theyre surgery went fine

i do beleive that if your required to do a preop diet, it mostly depends on your doctor, insurance, or how much you're overweight