Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chinese Food?

Guest Epitomy

Guest Epitomy

Has anyone tried eating Chinese food after being banded? If so, how did it go down? I am sooo craving some sesame chicken and pork fried rice...

It is funny u posted this, I posted a similar one about 6 weeks ago, I think the response i got was, some people have a hard time with rice and to chew chew chew

Guest Epitomy

Surely we could get a better description or answer than that one, lol. I know to chew I just want to make sure its something thats not "forbidden" or should be avoided.

Unfortunately, chinese food goes down really easy for me. Everyone is different though, if you try it, take it slow.

Sorry, I will look for that thread and bump it for u so u can get a better discription, I just dont think I got a really big responce on that thread. From what I understand it is not forbidin, but I know some people really have a HARD time with rice and dont even bother with it, others are ok.

Guest Epitomy

Thanks for the responses, it will still be another week or so before I can eat anything solid. Until then though I sure can dream about it

Guest Epitomy

You would think that with it being soo small it would go down just fine, I guess Im gonna have to do a taste test to see. I really hope it will be fine, considering how much I like it.

Epitomy, first off, nothing is "forbidden" to any bandster. It's always just a matter of what works for you and what doesn't, and everyone's list is different.

That said, I was a HUGE Chinese food fan before banding, and now my feelings are a bit different. Early on I had no trouble eating it (skipping the rice, which was never my favorite part). After I finally got decent restriction, I found that fibrous things like celery and asparagus were trouble, but the meats and tofu dishes were fine. That's still the case for me. But to my surprise, I found I didn't like it as much as I once did--the attraction had faded somewhat.

The problem, if it's a problem, is that Chinese food was always a huge favorite more because of the gargantuan amounts we always ate than for the food itself. We'd buy three dishes for two people, each eating enough for four or five normal folks. Now that I only eat a small amount at a meal, Chinese food isn't as much a staple as it used to be. We still get it, of course; as long as I stay away from things I know are difficult to eat I can enjoy it just fine, but my former passion has waned.

If anyone had told me that would happen, I'd never have believed it. Nor would I have believed that I would ever give up Bagels. (I'm a New Yorker, and was raised on Chinese food and bagels.) But neither of those foods have the magnetic sway they used to have over me, and that's a GOOD thing. :D

I still eat Chinese from time to time when I get the hankerings for it. I stay away from the rice, just because I've never been a big fan of rice. But I love the peanut chicken and the veggies with cheese, and the meat wrapped in a noodle. I used to eat a lot of the crab cheese (deep fried) but now I'm satisfied to eat more of the chicken and only 3 of the crab cheese. It's just a small trade off for me.

I agree with Alexandra. Nothing is forbidden to eat once you're a bandster, it's just that we try to make healthier choices for most of our meals. But if you're wanting 2 pieces of pizza once or twice a month it surely isn't going to kill you. That's the joy of this surgery over the bypass. The choice/power is all in your hands and you don't have to give up anything but carbonated drinks. Gotta love it!!!

I haven't tried Chinese yet, by my DH has no trouble with Chinese, Thai or Japanese. I've only moved to solids myself...

Yup, nothing is forbidden, it is simply what you can tolerate. Some things we should just have in much smaller quantities... :D

Alex, you read my mind about the "forbidden" I don't/never had a problem with rice, except for the big puffy rice--I can't think of what it is called I think it is technically a Pasta that looks like rice.

You may actually have the problem with the sesame seeds. That is what I have a problem with. It is garnish stuff that is harder for me. (I only have a slight fill in me now, but, I am talking about the past) If a dish has parsley in it, or those little green thingys.......I know I will have a problem.

Chinese food......hardest things for me were egg rolls and anything dry. Sometimes things like Peking chicken--fried chicken was hard. Seafood works the best I think.

Keep in mind Chinese food is usually loaded with calories, fat, and sodium. Not really good "lose weight" food.

And oddly, egg rolls are something I have no trouble with. But the hot and sour Soup I loved so dearly has things in it that can cause problems. See? It's all totally personal. My current favorite is shrimp with lobster sauce--the sauce is loaded with egg white upping the Protein factor even more.

Just like Alexandra says......everyone will be completely different about what food will and won't go down.......I have the same problem with Hot and sour soup.......which was the whole reason I liked Chinese food in the first place. Now that I have a problem with it, I don't eat Chinese unless it is a lean cuisine or something. I can't eat any part of eggs they won't go down at all for me personally---white, yellow, scrambled, soft, hardboiled it doesn't matter. Same as grits......but, if you look at most lapband doctors lists they are one of the easy things to try. So, use your doctor's lists as a guide but, don't take them as the Gospel or you will get discouraged. Do yourself a favor--lessoned learned for me. Experiment with foods that will encourage you to lose weight. Don't experiment with Gummy worms, snickers bars........lol like I did.