Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your doctor recommend high protein/low carb?

Does your doctor recommend a high protein/low carb diet?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Does your doctor recommend a high protein/low carb diet?

• Yes - and I 'm from Australia
    • No - and I'm from Australia
    • Yes - and I'm from the USA
    • No - and I'm from the USA
    • Yes - and I'm not from Aus or USA
    • No - and I'm not from Aus or USA

Hi, I'm a newbie, scheduled for surgery on the 19th. My doc recommends 70gm of Protein per day ( 1 meal is a shake, 2 other meals are 2-4oz of lean protein & 1/2 cup veggies). This diet is too be followed FOR LIFE. Does anyone else find this excessive or is this a typical post op diet?

Thanks,

Jennfer

Hi, I'm a newbie, scheduled for surgery on the 19th. My doc recommends 70gm of Protein per day ( 1 meal is a shake, 2 other meals are 2-4oz of lean protein & 1/2 cup veggies). This diet is too be followed FOR LIFE. Does anyone else find this excessive or is this a typical post op diet?

Thanks,

Jennfer

a) 70 gm of protein is not horribly excessive but it's more than the daily recommendation, which is around 46 to 50 gms.

cool.png The center I went to recommends NO shakes (once you get past the liquid/soft stage right after surgery and are eating normally, that is). liquid calories, except for up to 16 oz of milk a day, are just out, period.

My guess about the morning shake, and you can ask your doctor about this, is that many bandsters are super tight in the morning; too tight to eat solid food without getting stuck or horking. That varies from person to person though, so you'd want to eat solids if you are able.

The protein + veggies recommendation sounds standard. It's your life though. You choose. smile.png I think the saying is, if you follow 80% of the guidelines, 80% of the time, you'll be successful. i.e. most people don't give up dessert forever, rather they choose to have a small amount once in awhile. Same with bread (which a lot of people get stuck on), or alcohol

Best wishes on your sugery and new lifestyle!!

My doctor says to eat no more than 25-30 grams of fat per day and to exercise for at least 3-5 hours per week.

My Dr. does suggest a Protein Shake to help me get the Protein I need. It doesn't seem like I can get enough through food. So I found a Protein Powder that is low calorie, low carb, low sugar, and low fat. It has 23 grams of protein and tastes great. It does not clump and it is not gritty. I really like it and I can drink it in skim milk. I also can make smoothies with it. I add all kinds of fruits and vegies. It has made me feel better and has helped with my energy level. I have been using it for a while now. It is at www.fitbodi.net it is called slim.

I have found a Protein Shake that has 120 calories 0 sugar and 30 grams of Protein and they are so good Premium Protein Shakes are sold at SAMs Club or on line Premium Protein.com

Fab Karen

My Dr suggest a balanced diet but emphasis that you eat your Protein (majority of your meal), then your veggies and last a small amount of carbs (if still hungry). I think the point is that we are trying to lose weight and build muscle so protein is very important. He doesn't really say no/low carbs but as we all know that is usually the least nutritional portion of the meal and most of us have made that the base of our meal our entire life. So I guess his recommendation comes down to ... stop filling up on carbs. LOL

a) 70 gm of Protein is not horribly excessive but it's more than the daily recommendation, which is around 46 to 50 gms.

cool.png The center I went to recommends NO shakes (once you get past the liquid/soft stage right after surgery and are eating normally, that is). Liquid calories, except for up to 16 oz of milk a day, are just out, period.

My guess about the morning shake, and you can ask your doctor about this, is that many bandsters are super tight in the morning; too tight to eat solid food without getting stuck or horking. That varies from person to person though, so you'd want to eat solids if you are able.

The protein + veggies recommendation sounds standard. It's your life though. You choose. smile.png I think the saying is, if you follow 80% of the guidelines, 80% of the time, you'll be successful. i.e. most people don't give up dessert forever, rather they choose to have a small amount once in awhile. Same with bread (which a lot of people get stuck on), or alcohol

Best wishes on your sugery and new lifestyle!!

The coordinator at my center suggest a Protein Shake for Breakfast. She said she will have a protein or a carnation instant breakfast for breakfast because she is never in the mood for solids in the morning and she is good. She admits to not understanding the logic as it goes through your band but she said she is always satisfied with it. I guess that situation all depends on the person. They do not suggest drinking your calories the remainder of the day.

I will probably be one to drink a protein shake in the morning because I HATE eating in the morning. I can have a quick protein shake while I am out walking the dogs and be good. :)

My doc does modified South Beach - NOT Atkins. His theory (and I agree with it) is that if you eliminate all white carbs (bread, Pasta, etc...you know... the stuff that gets most of us in trouble in the first place an causes cravings because it's still in your diet) it will be easier to stay the course through your weight loss period. Once you go into maintanence, he lets you bring back the white carbs. So it's not Atkins he's got us following -Atkins is all Protein via high fat which will kill your Gallbladder, it's healthy food, protien, fruits and veggies.

Like other posters, it's, "eat your protein first", then the veggies. He also allows Protein Shakes. 4 cab max. No Atkins or Slimfast.

.... Surgery at 7:30 in the morning(doubt I'll sleep much tonight),and once I'm back on "real food",I plan to simply avoid most complex carbs. In addition to a couple of protein shakes/day,I'll get most of my protein from lean chicken, turkey and fish. The list of simple carbs is lengthy...don't think I'll have trouble making healthy choices. No white bread or rice and NO refined sugar. My surgeon says no "doughy bread".....EVER! And I'm going to use this as an opportunity to eliminate red meat forever......

Good luck for the surgery, hope all goes well :)

Great points all! My drs support a high Protein diet. I cant eat a lot of true big carbs which is good. My band works like a dream. Atkins gives a bad wrap to a high protein diet. South Beach is more real. I eat a ton of spinanch and choose low fat protein. 1 year out and 108 lbs down and 15 lbs from goal. I feel amazing because of my health diet & exercise program. Good luck all! Keeping a food jounal is key too as i eat 1200 cals. :)

My dr explains that the misconcepion for yrs has been fat causes heart disease and diabetes &high bp. Instead pts need to know that its the white flour and sugars that cause type ll diabetes which leads to all the other killers. Therefore he teaches in his ofc and on youtube that Protein first, vegies nxt and low gi carbs should be the only way band pts as well as all ppl should eat for health. Also carbs increase your desire for more carbs! This i found is true! Evrytime i start trying to eat just a little higher carb things the desire to eat more carbs is insatiable. Everyones different but i lose much better doing it his way.

My dr explains that the misconcepion for yrs has been fat causes heart disease and diabetes &high bp. Instead pts need to know that its the white flour and sugars that cause type ll diabetes which leads to all the other killers. Therefore he teaches in his ofc and on youtube that Protein first, vegies nxt and low gi carbs should be the only way band pts as well as all ppl should eat for health. Also carbs increase your desire for more carbs! This i found is true! Evrytime i start trying to eat just a little higher carb things the desire to eat more carbs is insatiable. Everyones different but i lose much better doing it his way.

Absolutely agree !!!

Ive just reread his entire thing. Some of it was a long time ago! Im pissing myself laughing, my god i was a self righteous ****! I still believe Protein Shakes are crap food but why on earth did i care so much what others ate or did? And what was i doing that i had all this time to pissfart around on the internet spreading my gospel? Lol!

Ive just reread his entire thing. Some of it was a long time ago! Im pissing myself laughing, my god i was a self righteous ****! I still believe Protein shakes are crap food but why on earth did i care so much what others ate or did? And what was i doing that i had all this time to pissfart around on the internet spreading my gospel? Lol!

Lol, I remember your comments from years back on this post during my earlier days of banding. I just thought you were very passionate about it and not afraid to speak your mind. I miss your posts as I have not really been on here in forever and I am not sure if you are still really active as well. You were my all time favorite poster back when I first started with this forum. I hope things are still going great with you. :0)