Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the band and dentists

I have avoided the dentist for the last year because my life long favorite dentist retired and I hated the person I tried after he retired. I'm finally trying a new dentist and am getting a cleaning and pics tomorrow. Has anyone else had to get an antibiotic before going to the dentist because of the band? I asked my family practitioner and he wanted me to take one. I recall they wanted me to take them because of my pins in my once broken ankle too. Has anyone else been told they need one before going to the dentist?

Hi Teresa, I just went on Monday to the dentist for the first time since being banded and had the deep cleaning where the go down into your gums to clean. I was fine and had to take no extra precautions, but I will tell you this I was a little nervous of the novacaine wondering if it would go down into my band and make it all numb, sounds silly I know but all & all I had no adverse affects with my new band and Mondays dentist experience, except my teeth are a little sensitve now since they are so clean, I guess all that plaque was a buffer of sorts. Normally the only time an anitbiotic is required prior to dental treatment is when you are at higher risk of infection for example my son who has a suppressed immune system from his cancer has to take massive doses of antibiotics right before the dentist and right after the dentist. You should be fine :)

Okay, just the though of going to the dentist makes me queezy. I broke a temp crown the weekend before I was banded, so I had to go to the denist a couple of days after I was banded to get the new crown seated.

No special precautions were taken, and there was no problem with the gas either!

OK the antibiotics are not for the band and although it could be given if your immune system is compromised, the reason they give antibiotics is because working in the mouth is risky for a few reasons but mostly because the mouth is full of bacteria normally. You factor in you are drilling into bone and can cause bleeding which opens up an avenue for the bacteria to enter the bloodstream. Even with all the precautions, sometimes bacteria can get in the bloodstream and that bacteria can then migrate to the heart and damage to your heart valves. So sometimes as a precaution they will give antibiotics pre and post dental treatments.

Michelle: I have had the root planing on all four quadrants and that was post banding. No problems.

Other dental work I have had done has never ever effected my band or its function.

Colin & I have to take one (and so will Miranda) because we have heart issues (me rhuematic fever/scarlet fever and COlkin and Miranda- repaired issues with heart). THe doctor's thinking is that the "release" of bacteria that can occur when cleaning or during dental work can cause an infection to settle in any part of the body. Usually it is somewhere that has been compromised for some reason (specifically heart).

So I took mine- glad I did to, this last trip in Feb- caused me to get in infected salivary glands and lymph nodes really bad and really painful and happened so quick. (29 hours after)- it took a different one to get rid of it,

In theory - it could attack the band, but my primary care said there was about a million and half other places they would go first if band is in good condition and working order and since blood does not flow or a part of the band working process and the interior of stomach (if you swallow the bacteria) destroys it.

Wow, I work in a Dental office and we have not had any "Banded" Pt's as of yet but I'm going to ask the doc what he thinks... I'll let you know.. My gut says no, but I not a very good listener...

Tara

Well as a precaution I decided to go with my docs advice and take Vitromax (not sure of the spelling). I recall a previous (a few years ago) dentist wanting me to take one for the pin in my broken ankle so I might as well be safer than sorry. I told the dentist about the band and they actually copied the brochure I keep in my purse and put it in my files. I like to be proactive about my health care and make sure everyone knows what is going on from every angle. Nothing too serious showed up in my x-rays or my ultrasound for my shoulder. The accident probably stressed the area which did show a bit of arthritis and Calcium deposits. My neck still goes back and forth and I'm still going to massage therapy and physical therapy. Anyway thanks for your input everyone, Teresa

Like penni had said it is for people with compromised immune systems or for prople with cardiac problems. That is wy some pt's need to have the antibiotic. hope this helps

Oh I definitely don't have an immune system problem nor any heart problems. In fact as I have lost weight my blood pressure has dropped beautifully. I used to be around 150/80 and now its been more like 113/76. Hopefully it stops dropping or I won't even have a beating heart by the time I reach goal (not for a long while)... My doc is just being cautious. I rarely take antibiotics so I suppose once in a blue moon won't hurt too much. Thanks for the info though Pat.

You could be like me and need a root canal, was sent to an endodontist and I feel I just have to be honest medically with any kind of doctor. My endodontist now has a lapband and is doing great. So, I guess it does pay to talk about your band. :D

Good luck at your appointment.

Thanks Carol,

It seems like forever since I've seen your face. I definitely tell everyone about my band... LOL. I'm just so happy with it most of the time. I really think anyone who treats me medically should be aware of it too. Your sure getting close to goal, great job!

Tarafeena, I'll be interested in what your dentist office says about it. Teresa

Good to know you don't need one. I have gone to the dentist several times since the band. Best thing, doctors notice your weightloss when it's been 6 months since they have seen you. For me, it's great now that I can use the armrests. It was such a tight squeeze before that they had to be raised for me to be comfortable

I also work in a dental office and the need for pre treatment antibiotic therapy is for recent joint replacements, and heart murmurs. I have never had to treat a patient after band placement but the "newest" trend is to not have ANY dental treatment for 3-6 months after surgery.

Hope this helps...

I also work in a dental office and the need for pre treatment antibiotic therapy is for recent joint replacements, and heart murmurs. I have never had to treat a patient after band placement but the "newest" trend is to not have ANY dental treatment for 3-6 months after surgery.

Hope this helps...

Bubblestina~Gosh I've got a dental appt in 2 weeks for a cleaning. I'm starting my 6th week being banded ...... Should I cancel my appt?????