Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wellbutrin and liquid Vioxx

I'm having trouble taking the liquid Vioxx that was prescribed for my anti-inflammatory post-surgery. It's giving me quite an upset stomach and is going right through me, if you know what I mean!! I also took Wellbutrin prior to surgery, but it is NOT recommended that it be crushed or cut, which I MUST do now that I'm freshly banded. Does anyone else out there have any recommendations? Anyone who used to take Wellbutrin that might know of a substitute since it doesn't come in liquid form? I got a new one (lexapro) from my doctor, but it REALLY made my stomach upset! I know my doctor will prescribe something from me, but I like to hear from people who have experienced it themselves.

Guest anna0828

Hi, I can't help with the Vioxx, but I do take Wellbutrin. I've never had any trouble getting the Wellbutrin pills down. I quit taking them the day of surgery & 2 days after. On the 3rd day, I took those, along with BP pills & a Multivitamin. No problems. Go ahead & take them....you'll be fine. :banana

Thanks for the help!! Glad to know I can most likely keep taking Wellbutrin. Here goes nothing.....gulp!!

Guest Cherjr

The reason that Wellbutrin can't be crushed is that it is a extened release.

I work in a nursing home and we have a simmiler problem with some of our residents that have problems with thier meds so many now are extended release and because of physical problems in thier stomach or asophigas they can't swollow them well. We give them their meds in apple sauce and yogart it really helps because the pills don't float like they do if you take them with Water.

f that doesn't work, and you are taking it for depression there might be a diffrent one you can use that doesn't have the extended release coating.

hope that this helps,

Cher

I did speak with my doctor about the Wellbutrin. He said I could cut it in half for about a week, then hopefully will be able to swallow it whole again. I did try something else for depression but had BAD side effects, so I guess I'll stick with the Wellbutrin. So far swallowing half at a time has worked okay. Not the BEST solution, but it'll do for now!

I am currently taking Wellbutrin SR 200mg and I am in the pre banding stage hoping to get banded in Sept. I spoke to my doctor about this and she said she will give me a script for Wellbutrin that isn't time released so I will probably have to take it more than once a day.