Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "Realize" Band

Good luck to you, I getting banded the 12th and chose the Realize band!

Congratulations and all my best wishes to you! You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!

Kat

Thank-you to everyone who contributed their input. I also want to congratulate those of you who have your surgery dates, I am sooo happy for you about it.

Thanks again and my best wishes to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!

Kat

I also thought the LapBand seemed "stronger" that the Realize band--had more substance.

This is why I prefer the Realize band. I don't want a hard hunk of plastic around my organs. I think that would be more inclined to erode than something softer. This is a big reason why the Realize band out performed the prior Lap-band IMO.

Realize has an involved website, but LapBand is going to have one too--competition, you know.

Competition is awesome. :frown: Lap-band made their band better in response to the Realize band being set to be used in the US -- so everyone won on that one.

Is it merely a "me too' product, or are there real design differences?

There are actual differences.

The Realize band is softer and the reservoir wider and is designed to be the only think touching the stomach, not the plastic. This is supposed to help with both erosion and slippage.

The port is a low-profile port and it has these claws that make it cling to the stomach muscle instead of having to be sutured in. (Though your surgeon can chose to suture it in if that's what they prefer.) This is supposed to help with port pain and with port flipping.

The Lap-band AP system has a smaller buckle and it is pre-formed into a round shape. Because the plastic is harder, some surgeons will put some fill in during surgery, which may give you a jump start on restriction. It also now goes all the way around, which the older Lap-band didn't do and which is important to avoid erosion IMO. It also has comes "pre-creased", which Allergen says helps with slippage.

The Realize study was against the Lap-band that was available at the time, not the AP system. I think it's clearly better than the older lap-band. There is a reason that Allergen changed their band to be more like the Realize Band and also more like the French Mid-band.

Whether the changes that Allergen made with the AP system have caused that band to just as good or better than the Realize band remains to be seen. Study data tends to lag so we probably won't see head-to-head comparisons right away and it may be that, by the time we do, both companies will have modified their bands again and made it all moot. :biggrin2:

Edited by MacMadame

Thank-you for all of the information about the realize band, I appreciate it.

I am going to be a part of a clinical study for the realize band, I was asked to participate at my first consult.

Kat

asked my doc about the realize band he uses both but said he prefers to use the apl band on men,but could get the realize if i wanted to.just his preference something to do with mens anatomy,,but has recommended the realize for women,,so i'll go with his rec,,i guess lol:confused2:

I was banded with the Realize band on May 15th. My doctor gave me a choice - he said in his opinion there isn't any difference between the two, and he had a stack of reports and research to back him up. He suggested I check out the websites for both Lap Band and Realize, and decide. I liked the Realize Band's website, I also liked the fact that it has been used in Sweden for many years before being approved by the FDA for use in the US a few months ago. I have a lot of respect for Swedish medicine and if it's been their band of choice for so long, that sounded good to me.

Just banded today. less than 12 hrs ago, asked for the realize band, and the Dr was happy to oblige, he was also impressed that I knew there were more than one, I'm feeling fine, for now.

I went to a class required by my surgeon and they showed us an actual lap band and a Realize band and the port is smaller and the band is wider to help prevent slippage of the Realize band. My Doc gives you a choice of either but he says that the Realize Band has a great support website. I decided that I will get the Realize band. Of course I have to finish jumping through hoops for my ins. to approve the surgery first. Good luck to you. Keep us posted on how it went.

My surgeon asked me right before surgery if I had a preference, and I told him that I was leaving it up to him, as he is the expert. He then said he wanted to use the Realize band, due to less chance of erosion, low profile port, and the website, as well as other factors.