Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much is plastic surgery in Mexico

I had my lap band done in Mexico. I am in the route of trying to get my arms, extended Tummy Tuck and a boob job done. I am curious who had this done in Mexico and how much it cost you. What about recovery time?

I am trying to get my insurance to pay for the tummy tuck so am waiting and should know soon. I know they wont pay for the arms and boob job.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Shannon

That's a delima for sure. I have no clue, to answer your question.

But...if you can find a doc to do the tummy tuck...have the augmentation and arms done at the same time. Plus, you may can get a discount - kinda like give him the business of 10k for the Tummy Tuck and slide you a discount for the others. My sister had this done and all her doc asked was she pay for the medical supplies, ie breast implants.

Plus, having them done together will have you only pay 1 surgi center fee (which ins will cover for the tummy tuck), 1 anesthesia (covered for tummy tuck), recovery (covered) etc.

shop around.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted with what you discovered.

Plastic Surgery Tijuana Mexico Baja California San Diego Plastic Surgery Pricing

I am going to Dr Kuri in Aug for a lap band ...I am going to meet with Dr. Gutierrez Romero a plastic surgeon in TJ Mexico while I am there ....The reason I chose him to meet is because he is a Dr that also works with operation smile ..I know being a nurse that org. dosent just let any doctor do plastic surgery on childrens faces ....The web site i gave you gives you an idea of his prices ..I have never talked with anyone you had plastic surgery from mexico (mybe 1 lady but did not hear back from her I wanted a web site) so i figured while my husband is with me we can visit the ps to see all about it hopes this helps...most plastic surgeons wont do arms breast and Tummy Tuck together too much blood loss and under ansth.too long ....so becareful ...hope this helps if you get any info send it my way as i will you ...i need plastic surgery before the lap band (lol) so i am preparing for it after lap banding ......

Please take into consideration your post op care. I have had to go back once since surgery to get 1 of 2 drains removed. Next week I'll be going back in again to have the final drain removed. Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks for the input. I have considered the after care and am still waiting for insurance to pay for it. My father lives in Ca and if I do surgery I will plan to stay a few weeks with him (an hour flight) to make sure everything is okay.

Shannon

I had a brachioplasty (armlift), breast lift, breast augmentation with silicone implants, Tummy Tuck, Lipo of top part of tummy and back, and brazilian butt lift with lipoed fat injected in rear.

I paid $12,000 for everything in Monterrey, Mexico with Dr. Sauceda who is board certified and that price included all surgeons fees, hospital fees, 2 nights in hospital, and after care garments. The doctor also reimbursed me and paid for my airfare from Dallas to Monterrey and 10 nights hotel at a very nice name brand hotel.

YOu can see my pics and get more information at: My Mexico Plastic Surgery Journey!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions if you don't feel comfortable posting it on here!

Misty

Plastic surgery is dirt cheap in Mexico and I'm sure that there are some excellent surgeons who do excellent work.

I had my LapBand done in Mexico and had an excellent experience. I was therefore mightily tempted to have my PS done there (or elsewhere) as well. I dug in and researched this about as much as I could, but decided in the end that having a major surgery (such as an LBL) abroad just wasn't for me. One of the things that was most disconcerting to me was that fact that most of these Dr.'s do not do the surgery in a hospital -- they use their own clinics. While I'm sure that many of these clinics are very high-quality and safe, I simply did not feel comfortable having this amount of surgery done in a small, private clinic.

Many Dr.s will offer you the option to have the surgery done in a hospital, but when you factor in the additional cost for doing so, you will probably find that the price difference between Mexico and the US becomes negligible (at least this is what I found).

The language barrier is also an issue for me. Again, with this type of major surgery, I just feel more comfortable working within the familiar parameters of my own culture and my own language.

I was also concerned about how well post-operative issues could be dealt with -- especially after I left Mexico.

I would not hesitate to recommend Lap Band surgery in Mexico using a high quality surgeon (such as Rumbaut, Zapata or Aceves), but with major surgery like an LBL, I found that I have much more peace of mind staying in the US.

JMHO -- your mileage may vary.

Edited by Frangipani

Plastic surgery is dirt cheap in Mexico and I'm sure that there are some excellent surgeons who do excellent work.

I had my LapBand done in Mexico and had an excellent experience. I was therefore mightily tempted to have my PS done there (or elsewhere) as well. I dug in and researched this about as much as I could, but decided in the end that having a major surgery (such as an LBL) abroad just wasn't for me. One of the things that was most disconcerting to me was that fact that most of these Dr.'s do not do the surgery in a hospital -- they use their own clinics. While I'm sure that many of these clinics are very high-quality and safe, I simply did not feel comfortable having this amount of surgery done in a small, private clinic.

Many Dr.s will offer you the option to have the surgery done in a hospital, but when you factor in the additional cost for doing so, you will probably find that the price difference between Mexico and the US becomes negligible (at least this is what I found).

The language barrier is also an issue for me. Again, with this type of major surgery, I just feel more comfortable working within the familiar parameters of my own culture and my own language.

I would not hesitate to recommend Lap Band surgery in Mexico using a high quality surgeon (such as Rumbaut, Zapata or Aceves), but with major surgery like an LBL, I found that I have much more peace of mind staying in the US.

JMHO -- your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't say plastic surgery is "dirt cheap" in Mexico, but compared to the US you would save around half.

As for surgery in clinics vs. hospitals, there is a very good reason for this that must be considered. Who goes to hospitals? Sick people, that's who. Healthy patients have elective surgery in clinics. Here or Mexico, doesn't matter. How many plastic surgeons do elective procedures in clinics? Plenty of them do. Sick people go to hospitals for treatment. Hospitals are breeding grounds for viruses and bacteria to grow. You can have the hospital with the most stringent cleaning procedures and still walk away with a staph infection. Combined with the fact that plastic surgery scars aren't healed up for about a month, and you are opening yourself up for a serious infection that can be avoided by having your procedure done in a outpatient surgery clinic. The clinic I had my plastic surgery in was wonderful and had 4 hospital rooms for those of us who needed to stay a night or two, same as a hospital yet without the extra cost and risk of serious infection.

I would hardly call a LBL major surgery. It's not like its open heart or anything. The doctor is working with your skin and muscle only.

As far as the language barrier, my doctor provided me with translation sheets that were more than adequate for communication with my nurses. I had a wonderful experience and doctor that gave me more attention in 10 days than I have ever had in my entire life of 40 years combined. He came to the hotel and saw me EVERY DAY, SOMETIMES twice daily to check on me, my incisions, bring my medication to me, extra gauze and bandages, etc. How many American doctors do you know make housecalls and come see you every day? Not one will. Mexican doctors are in a class of their own. They don't have to deal with the insurance b.s. that American doctors do, nor do they have to deal with the potential of malpractice lawsuits that have gotten way out of hand over the years. I would take my Mexican plastic surgeon over an American one anyday. When you consider the price difference, it is even more reason to go there and have it done.

Bottom line is we have choices.

You can choose to go to the hospital here or anywhere in the world and open yourself up for getting an antibiotic resistant staph infection or worse.

I will choose my quiet modern Mexican surgical center where the healthy people go for outpatient elective surgery.

I will choose the Mexican surgeon who came to see me every day for 10 days at my hotel and who called me nightly when I arrived back home in Texas.

I will choose my Mexican doctor who personally picked me up at the airport.

I will choose the Mexican surgeon who saved me $15,000 that I can put in a college fund for my children instead of giving it to an American plastic surgeon so he can pay his $100,000 a year malpractice insurance policy.

We all have choices to make and Mexico is an option if you are dealing with the loose skin issue like I was. You can go to my blog for more information at www.mymexicopsjourney.com

Peace out,

Misty

Hi Misty,

I hope that it came through loud and clear in my post that this is a personal decision. It was really not my intent to imply that there is a right or wrong answer to this, I just wanted to share my point of view as a person who has already traveled to Mexico once for surgery, and one who thoroughly considered whether or not to have a major surgery such as LBL done there. (And this is the only point on which we disagree, this is major surgery and just about any Dr. will agree with me on that point.)

I'm glad that you had an excellent experience in Mexico and I'm very happy for you.

I too had an excellent experience with surgery in Monterrey Mexico, just last August and I cannot say enough good things about my Dr. his staff and the hospital where I had my surgery.

Have a great night!!!

:cursing::smile::redface:

Edited by Frangipani

Guest JSIL

I would have to say that I would be very nervous to go out of the US to have any type of surgery. I do understand that many, many people have had positive experiences and results out of the US, but I would prefer to have mine done close to home. It is your choice, just go to whom you will feel more comfortable. Plastics is not the time to be cheap, it is the time for comfort and a secure feeling with your surgeon. Good Luck!

Hey, I'm back.

My daughter wants Lipo around her waist.

Although it's cosmetic... ever since she was little she has had this 'band' around her waist. She's always complained year after year but now that she's 18, lost alot of weight from babyfat (she never was heavy...maybe pudgy)...that band is still around her waist.

Tijuana is our place to go to MX. As I can't afford traveling deeper into the state...unless they offer a shuttle or something from the border.

Any recommendations?

Although I had all my work done in Monterrey with Dr. Sauceda, I have heard of lots of people going to a clinic in Tijuana with great success. I am a member of mexicanbandsters which is a yahoo group. You can inquire on there as well as the plastic surgery forum on Obesityhelp. Lots of those people have also gone to Tijuana for plastics.

Good luck to you!

Misty

www.mymexicopsjourney.com

A website detailing my experience getting plastic surgery in Monterrey, Mexico!!