Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery yesterday - Feel Horrible today

I was banded 4/25 and felt great that day - up and walking 3 hours after surgery. The next day I thought I was going to die. I even stayed a second night in the hospital. I ran a low-grade fever, felt fluish, had a terrible headache and all I wanted to do or could do was sleep. Third day, felt great again. I felt like I was coming down with something the second day, but the doctors and nurses were not worried. As to the shoulder pain, I still have it 5 days later. It hurts so bad sometimes, I cannot believe it, honestly. Hang in there....it gets better.

Hang in there. The second day seems to be the worst for some reason. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital because of it. Felt great the first day and the third, but the second felt like I had the flu (temp, drowsy, cranky, headache). And, my shoulder has hurt for five days after the surgery, really really bad sometimes. Get walking....I am doing 20 mins on treadmill every night.

I felt terrible for about 3 days after............but I slowly started to regain my strengh....walking helped me the most .It helped relive the gas pain.especially the pain in my left shoulder. You will feel better soon. Good Luck !! Keep walking:redface:

I wasn't given anything for the gas pains which were really painful for the first 5 days. They work their way out and you will forget it ever happened - I promise! Don't be scared. Today is day 10 for me and I'm back at work and can breathe deep breaths again with no pain. Rgds.

I will be spending one night in the hospital and then, home alone. I do not have someone to be there......will I be okay by myself?

No, you won't need care at home. You won't be eating meals - all you will have are fluids which you can get for yourself. You can even go out shopping the day after but you might not feel like it. Just make sure you have milk, juices, Jello, yogourts, tea and coffee at home. No sodas. Don't worry, the pain will be the gas circulating around the abdomen up to the shoulders and will hurt when you try and take a deep breath. It will work it's way out of your body by about day 5; the more you walk the sooner it will go. You will take your meds by yourself. I had surgery at 10.30 am and was at home at 9.30 pm the same day. Today is day 11 for me; had the stitches out yesterday and am so pleased with the tiny slits that obviously will totally disappear eventually. Go for it!

Rgds, Diane - I'm the same age as you too.

Edited by pitzpatz
forgot something!

yes definitley the gas is orrible, but after abotu day three i started passing some. its a relief but there is a lot more to come. im still burping at day 7!

i too, felt awful at day 2 and was kept in hospital extra night. just as well so i could get the care. coudlnt look after myself otherwise. especialy with constant getting Water, and fluids.

:smile2:When any surgery takes place on the abdomen area, air is pushed into the cavity to prevent the vital organs sticking together to eliminate the chance of the surgeon damaging other organs like the liver for example.

This air has to find a way out and it is not is any of the usual systems - digestive - burping or passing gas. It has to come out through other ways and that's why it takes so long. It comes out through the skin (the largest organ in the body) and other ways. Any burping you have is because of the changes taking place in your digestive system. Gas trapped inside the body is very painful and goes up to the shoulders (mainly the left one) and sometimes it hurts the legs too. I took a long haul flight just 4 days after my op. It was an uncomfortable flight but I took everything very slowly and made it! In general the first week is quite uncomfortable but with pain relief is very manageable. As with anything in life - everyone is affected in different ways - but this is not major surgery and is very routine. Mind over matter helps too.

Gas trapped inside the body is very painful and goes up to the shoulders (mainly the left one)

Actually, the gas doesn't go into the shoulder--what happens is it's trapped against the diaphragm, which irritates nerves that cause the feeling of pain in the shoulder. It's called "referred pain" but it doesn't matter--it STILL hurts!:ohmy:

A lot of people have reported relief with a heating pad, and lots of walking.

:smile2:Yes, you are right. I just wanted to explain in simple terms understandable to all. I'm still suffering a little bit from it when I eat too much. My first fill hasn't done anything for me. regards.

My 2nd day I felt pretty good, it was my 5th day that broke me!! Because I was so anxious to have the surgery I scheduled it when my husband was working 12 hour shifts. I thought I would be fine. So I have only seen him a little bit and have only had my 6 year old son here to take care of me. LOL He's done a wonderful job! On day 5, I called my hubby at work crying saying I wanted him here with me. I was so miserable that day (which was yesterday). Every day I do feel better. But I'm still just uncomfortable feeling. And the pain in my left shoulder is killing me. I have kept the heating pad on it, Icy/Hot Patches, everything....and it just hurts. I am walking on the treadmill (only 10 min) and around the house and the gas is finally moving.