Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess I am looking for a place to vent. I am so frustrated as I am having trouble with my insurance. They are fully funded so I doubt if they will budge for an exception...but I am still trying. TO self pay....no way. I do not have that kind fo income to pay back the loan...if I could get one! With vehicle payments and home bills, it pretty much takes care of my check. I am really sick of being so heavy. I am trying to loose weight on my own, but as we all know, it doesn't work or we wouldn't be here. Thanks for listening.............:(

I'm sorry you are so frustrated, I know how tough and annoying insurance can be. I went through the same thing years ago w/ BC/BS I wanted (at the time) bypass surgey. I fought and fought, all the while jumping through all their hoops. I was finally denied. I should have looked at a lawyer (though it sounds like that is not an option for you right now) I am fighting with my insurance right now (BC/BS again...this time of IL) so I know how you feel doubly. All I can say is hang in there and good luck

Is it at all an option to find a job that has insurance that covers the surgery? I know that may seem far-fetched but I also know that feeling you have of nothing else is working, this is my hope of being able to lose weight and be healthy. I was also self pay, and was fortunate to be able to do so, but I do think if I weren't I might have considered looking for a job that covered the surgery. Please forgive me if it's not realistic for your situation...

I am laughing out loud about finding a job that has insurance that covers lapband! I had the same thought; so three years ago, when I got laid off, I intentionally applied at my current company, because I had 'heard' that many of their employees had WLS paid for. Only problem is that the day that I became elgibile for insurance, the policy changed to exclude any type of treatment for obesity! I am still saving up to self pay.

I worked for several years in HR and I cannot imagine an employer hiring someone who, at the job interview, asks if the insurance pays for weight loss surgery! Although it is illegal for an employer to ask about medical history, I don't think that they would hire someone knowing that probably as soon as they qualified for insurance, they would take off of work for surgery.

Shadow, good luck to you, maybe things will change for you, and you will find a way to come up with the money, I will put you in my prayers!

Hate that for you. Vent away!

But if someone would have offered me to wait and play jump through hoops of flame...and they'd cough up the 8 grand....I'd have done it.

But, it was the best $8,000 ever spent!

No more blood pressure pills, Migraine meds, wasted money on diets and shakes/pills/exercise equipment....

was so worth it.

Just hang in and hang on!

I am laughing out loud about finding a job that has insurance that covers Lap Band!

My career is in HR and my current employer pays for WLS. Although I've never interviewed anyone who outright has asked if WLS is paid for, it's VERY common for people to ask about our benefits and also to ask what types of services are covered. I've also had some ask if they could review some of the detail of our healthcare benefits. It makes complete sense to me - benefits are sometimes a make or break aspect of accepting a job. So I guess in my mind it's not all that farfetched to choose an employer based on whether they cover that benefit.