Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Too Old For Banding Opp

I can hardly wait to have the 'BAND". I'm in the old age group but know this will extend my life. I have hypertension, back pain, only one kidney, hital hernia and 80 pounds overweight. I'm looking forward to a better and longer life.

I haven't been on here in a long time. I am 60 years old and got my lapband Feb.2006. I started out at 211 and now I am at 135. I am finally within my goal for getting a Tummy Tuck. So thrilling to be this close. Hope everyone is still with us that I used to see here.

Penny? Anybody not still among the living? I remember Penny had her band removed. Hope everyone is slim, sexy and whatever they want to be if not pregnant....

Sandybells :cry_smile:

I don't think that older people should have the surgery, either, but I think the cut-off age should be 50.

I actually agree with whoever you're all disagreeing with. And I hate to put a target on my back, because I know I'll get heat, but I think that choosing to have surgery when the reason itn'st life threatening it a bad idea for older people.

Especially older obese people, who are unhealthy and iffy to begin with.

So, I guess I agree with Iamwiththeband, and I'm not going to be very popular because I said that :-)

Hi Pinkie,

I don't want to bash you for your reply to me...rather have a bit of a conversation about it.

I asked this question to get feedback (positive and negative) so I consider all replies as having potentially important information for me in making this decision.....and I appreciate people taking the time to reply.

I have read and reread your post trying to understand the points that you made....and I can't really make head nor tail of it!

In one sentence you SEEM to be saying that 'older people shouldn't have surgery if their obesity is is NOT threatening their lives'.

On the other hand, you're saying that older people are' ALL unhealthy/iffy to begin with'...i.e our lives are ALL under threat by being 'older'.

In a way I think that you are making a case that older people SHOULD have surgery ???

This is along the lines of my own reasoning.....my poor bod has battled bravely with too much weight ,shame ,dreadful clothes etc.and yo yo dietingfor about 50 years. (everyone on this site knows the story)

It has produced 8 fine healthy children and breastfed them all!

It has survived and recovered from being knocked down by a car.

Somehow I still have good health and I don't look too bad for my age.

I am lucky that I can happily walk...last night I danced for hours at a great party.

Yes, I could pop my cloggs today and so could anyone!(even a young'un).

Yes ,I could die during the op (the risk is there for ANYONE having ANY op!

If I come to the conclusion that having the Lap Band fitted will help me reduce my weight and take the pressure off my heart, liver,joints etc. etc. AND help me LOOK BETTER (without damaging my stomach) then why would I not do it??

Could you younger ones have a bit of sympathy for us older bandsters.......how would you like to live the rest of YOUR life in a world where you have NO OPTION but to keep battling away on your own with your weight/food problem?????( as we older ones have done until now)

Yes ,it's painfully late but I think it's a case of 'better late than never'

Anyway, my dad died at a hearty 91, so I MIGHT have another 30 yrs! to :wink2:enjoy the benefits of having a band.:tongue_smilie:

Don't be afraid to disagree with me if you have anything else to say.

Damienne:smile:

I was 59 when I had this done (60 now). :tongue_smilie: Within 24 hours, I was on a plane for home. Took me 2 planes, 6 hours in the air and then a 2 hour car ride home. I never had pain meds, never had gas problems and I've lost 65 pounds in 6 mo. (I was self pay in MX because I had no co-morbs and ins wouldn't pay). My husband is 67 and just beginning his process to get approved by insurance. :lol: He may be 68 by the time of surgery.

If our docs didn't think this was safe, they wouldn't suggest/approve it! This surgery will be better for my hubby than the diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol he would have lived with for the next 10 - 15 years! Instead, now he'll have 20 plus years of much higher quality of life. Remember, our perspective of "old" changes the older we get. I come from a line of very "long livers" and expect that 50 was just middle age for me! Both my Grammas died past 95, my Mom is 84 and in excellent health. Why live with poor health because you are past 40, if this surgery will make life much better for you?:)

Hi Pinkie,

damienne,

dont worry what pinkiegirl has to say, she was here to be a troublemaker. as you can see from under her user name, her account has been suspended.

I'm so glad i had mine before september as i'll be 40 then and too old according to some. LOL

Actually, I think this is for anyone who has struggled with their weight and thier dr. agrees that this is a great alternative. If I could afford it, i would love to pay for my mom, as well as my grandparents, to be banded, if they were approved. I saw my 40th birthday approaching and knew i did not want to be on all the meds and have all the issues they do. I did this as a preventitive measure, but i don't see why just because someone is older they can't do the most with the life they have left, even more so! i.e. once my mom and grandmother were not speaking to each other and i asked my mom why. she told me because my grandmother chose to get new central air put in her house instead of having glaucoma procedure. I told my mom, its her life and in her last days (years i hope) if she would rather be comfortably cool, that is her decision.

It should be the same if one wants to try to have a healthier life, at a lighter weight. Its a personal choice!

...well....if you were only under *40* you WOULD recover like a young person....HAR!!!! [sarcasm mode /OFF]

oh dear, she's back and disguised as Jack!!!

:rolleyes2::lol::scared2::lol::tongue2::lol:

Ang, Jump at the chance as soon as you can...It is worth everything to look back and see where you have been and know where you are going.

This whole idea of people in their 40s having surgery could really get away from us, though. Next thing you know, people in their 50s are going to start thinking they can have sex and we all know that's reserved for the 20s, right? Riiiiiight.

OMG you mean since I'm 40 I can't get the band or GASP!! Have to give up my awesome sex life????

Man!!... and here I was all excited to think that sex was gonna get even better after some of the weight was gone! O.o

(typed with extreme sarcasm)

Geeze guess I'm over the hill now and should break out the cane/walker and polident and start making nursing home plans now.. NOT!!!!!

:) Funny, the older I get, the younger 60 looks! I'm 59, my sister is picking me up in 3 hours, and I will be on my way to the hospital to be banded! Hooray! I've already lost 9 pounds in the last 2 weeks, cutting back and trying out Protein Drinks, etc. You young "dogs" out there are not the only kids on the block who can change their lives for the better. Peace. Jeanie3b

It's day 7 post-op and I am doing pretty good. Sixty is the new 40! Going to get a pedicure so I can sport some fancy sandals for the summer. Get ready, get ready, get ready!

weight.png

Grammy in Columbus