Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Productive Burp aka Throw up

:embaressed_smile:I have had the band for over 1 year now. I am a food gulper and have been struggling to "chew" my food. When I first got the band, I PB'd every day, now I am down to two or three times every few months. Does anyone else still PB after one year? What damage if any is being done to my band? If you have stopped, what did you do?

I find that I usually PB when I eat without thinking, for instance I am in a rush to go out. Doddie

:embaressed_smile:I have had the band for over 1 year now. I am a food gulper and have been struggling to "chew" my food. When I first got the band, I PB'd every day, now I am down to two or three times every few months. Does anyone else still PB after one year? What damage if any is being done to my band? If you have stopped, what did you do?

I find that I usually PB when I eat without thinking, for instance I am in a rush to go out. Doddie

Anything that I put in my mouth and swallow that comes back up is vomit not pb or sliming.. I do not PB.. I think it is a term that is bad to use it is a misnomer.. it makes people think that pb'ing or vomiting is not as bad for the band as it really is they take it less seriously. Anytime you bring something up/vomit you are putting your band at some small degree of risk and the more you do it the higher the risk is.

Any time you put something in your mouth chew it an swallow it... it is vomiting I honestly think sliming and pb'ing are the stupidist terms ever applied to banding.. I vomit, I don't do it often but I do vomit once in a while.

I slipped 4 times without vomiting very often, I sliped 4 times with almost no fill and absolutely no fill people slip and they can't do anything to prevent it... we can however change our eating habits and learn from our mistakes.

We all vomit once in a while, but it should be the exception not the rule. I find I tend to vomit when I am stressed more than anything else and sometimes I am fine when I am eating and 1/2 hour later i need to vomit... there is no predicting but i eat slow and chew I have learned that lesson and so will you it takes focus.

I know I sound harsh but I would rather be harsh than have even one more little complication

Heather

Heather you don't sound harsh at all. I know what I am doing wrong but I too when stressed am preoccupied with what is on my mind. I think I am chewing, but when the pain starts and I have to empty the pouch by vomiting the chunks are faily large and I am surprised but

I am improving. I went two months without vomiting but the last three days have been under stress. I was at Dr. Woodhead's today and we keep a loose band to allow a bit larger food pieces to go thru until I can control my eating. It is not easy changining a lifetime of habits at least for me it is not easy. I was just wondering if I am an odd ball or if others are struggling with the chewing issue.

Doddie

Heather you don't sound harsh at all. I know what I am doing wrong but I too when stressed am preoccupied with what is on my mind. I think I am chewing, but when the pain starts and I have to empty the pouch by vomiting the chunks are faily large and I am surprised but

I am improving. I went two months without vomiting but the last three days have been under stress. I was at Dr. Woodhead's today and we keep a loose band to allow a bit larger food pieces to go thru until I can control my eating. It is not easy changining a lifetime of habits at least for me it is not easy. I was just wondering if I am an odd ball or if others are struggling with the chewing issue.

Doddie

Doddie,

it is a challenge for most people it was a challenge for me to learn to take only what i could eat not what i wanted to eat.. the chewing was fast I had the old band and if i didn't chew i would puke immediately within bites not meals so i learned very fast..and it has served me well. Before you eat take just a minute and stop and think.. it is hard but it will help trust me.

Heather

Hi Doddie

Yes, I still vomit (don't want to upset susieq) once in awhile. It is always my fault. If I miss lunch and am starving I don't chew enough or grab something I shouldn't. You'd think we would learn. I hate the feeling and the whole act. I am getting better. These old demons are sure hard to beat!!!

Hi Doddie

Yes, I still vomit (don't want to upset susieq) once in awhile. It is always my fault. If I miss lunch and am starving I don't chew enough or grab something I shouldn't. You'd think we would learn. I hate the feeling and the whole act. I am getting better. These old demons are sure hard to beat!!!

Donna,

It is not the vomiting that upsets, me it is morons who call it sliming and pb'ing and think there is a difference in the type of stoma contractions to bring up saliva, just chewed food or well chewed food.. it is all vomit... if I swallow it and it comes back up I am vomiting, puking, tossing the Cookies... not pb'ing.. my burps produce gas not food (reread that sentence and read it carefully, there is no difference in the type of stomach contraction required to slime, pb or vomit they are strong contractions to force the food upa nd those stomach contractions are where the danger lies)... I am not sliming my dog slimes.. I am vomiting. Regardless of what comes up the act of sliming, pb'ing or in truth vomiting it makes the stoma contract violently and every time that happens it puts you a little at risk, if you are doing this daily or multiple times in a day it puts you more at risk... it is a relatively small risk but in truth slippage is just on of the risk, eroding your teeth enamel is another anytime something gets swallowed it gets mixed with stomach acid and that can do serious damage.. it may not be a lot of stomach acid but there is still some there.

I think the head game and learning to eat is one of the hardest things we will do it is harder than forming a work out habit it is a huge head game and one of the reasons we rush eating is because we think we still can, it is part of the head.

I still vomit once in a while not often, and it is all my fault.. with my band I can eat any type of food and some days it just self tightens for a wee bit and loosens off the next day or ten days later. So it may be fine at lunch but by dinner or during dinner it tightens up suddenly and if it tightens while or post eating watch out. I have been fine with the amount of food I ate for a meal and a 1/2 hour later I need to vomit... didnt feel overly full with the meal but after eating the band tightens to the point where I am overly full and after over 6 years I can think about vomiting and be able to vomit. But these are the exceptions for me not the rule.. it doesn't happen daily or even weekly but once in a while I vomit tears streaming out of my eyes vomit. There are also times where I feel like vomiting and I know if i walk to the restroom I will puke but if I can sit it out or move walking fast somewhere the feeling passes again fine with the amount of food by suddenly for whatever reason it just hits me.. uh oh no more no more no more.. and I wait it out when possible. My band is fickle and variable and changing daily there is no predicting what sets me off but I do eat slowly.. on dates I look at my date who is done eating as I just slog away eating slowly and say oops I am a terribly slow eater and continue to chew chew chew same with business dinners.. I can't tell you the number of times that everyone else is done around me and I am just munching away or getting leftovers for the dog.

Heather

Hi i have beened banded for 1.5 years and i have had many fills and defills. I had a fill Apr.1 and i didn't feel anything til last week and it has tighten .I have 4 cc's now.I have never hit my sweet spot until now.I have a heavy feeling in chest.I eat very little (yeah),the odd time i vomit.Lots of hiccups even with water.some nights i wake up and have to sleep on my lazy boy.I was wondering if it will loosen up on it's own.I really don't want to to get any out. thanks

I think this is a great thread because SusieQ and Jack are being very truthful. One of the bandster rules I need to relearn is to eat what I can and not what I want. I don't want that lesson to be learned with a slip and a trip to the OR!

Hi i have beened banded for 1.5 years and i have had many fills and defills. I had a fill Apr.1 and i didn't feel anything til last week and it has tighten .I have 4 cc's now.I have never hit my sweet spot until now.I have a heavy feeling in chest.I eat very little (yeah),the odd time i vomit.Lots of hiccups even with Water.some nights i wake up and have to sleep on my lazy boy.I was wondering if it will loosen up on it's own.I really don't want to to get any out. thanks

Lorily,

Sometimes yes sometimes no... mine never really loosened up only got tighter but that is me..but it is not uncommon for people to get looser... if you aren't loosing in two or three weeks i would get a little out. Try taking a zantac before bed I can't live like that but that is just me.

Good luck

Heather

Lorily,

Sometimes yes sometimes no... mine never really loosened up only got tighter but that is me..but it is not uncommon for people to get looser... if you aren't loosing in two or three weeks i would get a little out. Try taking a zantac before bed I can't live like that but that is just me.

Good luck

Heather

Heather:

I agree with you that vomiting is vomiting. It happens to me every once in a while, but fairly unpredictably. Usually after eating solid Proteins, like meat or fish, though not necessarily after eating fast or too much. It also seems I tighten up after flying, and am unable to eat for 24 hours afterward. My question for you, Heather, is: How do you know if and when your band has slipped?? Are there telltale signs?:thumbup:

Heather:

I agree with you that vomiting is vomiting. It happens to me every once in a while, but fairly unpredictably. Usually after eating solid Proteins, like meat or fish, though not necessarily after eating fast or too much. It also seems I tighten up after flying, and am unable to eat for 24 hours afterward. My question for you, Heather, is: How do you know if and when your band has slipped?? Are there telltale signs?:thumbup:

Lisa,

It varies for everyone but there are some things that occur a little more often than not... my symptoms are the same everytime it slipped so I will give you a synopsis of mine... if you feel some thing is wrong go talk to your clinic and get a fluroscope. I fly all the time and I have no issues post flying but you might be more sensitive than I am.

Slipping

- Acid reflux at night that was horrid... (I never get this)

- Throwing up when eating nothing

- being able to eat masses of food and then the next meal being able only to take two bites

-Throwing up when I had a sip of liquids and it was the food I ate for lunch the day before that should have cleared my pouch ages before

I knew something was wrong... not what the first time but every time I slipped that happened...

Typical are the bad acid reflux at night suddenly when you never had it before and the food being able to eat nothing or suddenly being able to eat masses of it.

Good luck

Heather

I don't think "PB" is the same as 'throwing up'.

In my opinion, 'throwing up' is expelling contents of the stomach with digestive juices and fluids generated in that part of the digestive track.

"PB" to me, and I may be in the minor opinion, is contents expelled from the esophagus and/or pouch, where this is little-to-none of stomach acids and fluids. There may be 'slime' which is produced by the upper GI to assist in the graceful slide of the bolus down into the actual stomach.

And yes, I do PB sometimes, the contents of my pouch. And that is ALWAYS from some error of eating~commonly TOO fast or TOO much.

I have NEVER 'thrown up' the contents of my stomach postOp.

I have 'thrown up' the contents of my stomach.

I have also PB'd.

Yes, both of them are obviously food coming back up from where it went. Definitely different experiences, though.

The harsh language referring to people as 'stupid' and 'morons' is uncalled for.

I have 'thrown up' the contents of my stomach.

I have also PB'd.

Yes, both of them are obviously food coming back up from where it went. Definitely different experiences, though.

The harsh language referring to people as 'stupid' and 'morons' is uncalled for.

I agree TOTALLY! I have had BOTH... and there DEFINITELY IS A DIFFERENCE... If/when you PB, there is no acid in the food, since it has NOT MADE IT TO THE STOMACH YET.. If you vomit, on the other hand, it will come from the STOMACH and will contain the digestion acids.... I guess not every one has experienced PB.. But i do agree that any time something comes back up, it cannot be a good thing.. Hope to see Less of you all soon! Keep up the good work!

I agree there is no room for name calling. We are all adults with varying experiences.

I am at goal, 3 + years out now. Feeling fantastic, thin and beautiful again. Thank you lapband and Dr Leung!

In that 3 years, I have had to work hard physically and mentally to change my eating habits and have had to reboot my physical activity.

This last year, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and have undergone the treatment necessary, which included chemotherapy. During my treatment, I got nauseous and my body was compelled to throw up the contents of my stomach, not just my pouch but my stomach. My fill was such that the contents of my stomach did not want to come up and pass my band backwards. Did that make sense? It was a terrible and painful experience. Nothing like the PB or sliming that I experienced from eating too much, too fast or not chewing properly. I believe there is a difference, I have experienced it.

Happy to report that I am doing well. I've had a slight unfill, almost never pb, slime or throw up.

BTW, I heart you Jack. You have been a tremendous support to me in my journey. I always enjoy reading your posts. You share your experiences and wisdom in a truthful, often humorous way.

And Doddie, I love reading your posts too. I hope it becomes true for you as it was for me; that with each and every day, month and year, by changing my eating habits, my brain eventually followed and this 'lifestyle' became easier.

If I lived closer, I'd join you in Vancouver for those monthly meetings. I'd love to meet all my local bandsters.

hugs and much success to all

Paula

Angel Eyes, Glad to hear you are doing well! Thanks for the info... i have often wondered if you would need an "unfill" if you became ill, etc. Keep the Faith and God Bless!