Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey all , i am currently going through a program to be banded and i have read alot about people having trouble with acid reflux. i was wondering if alot of people had any problems with it previously? i have never had any acid reflux and it kinda worried me.:crying:

I did have reflux before I was banded. My surgeon found a hiatal hernia during my surgery, which I figured I had, because of the reflux. Usually when your band surgeon finds a hiatal hernia during band surgery, they will repair it then. Mine was also repaired during my band surgery and I have not had reflux since. Others that I know, who were also banded by my surgeon, say the same, no more reflux. When you have reflux after the band, chances are, you are just too tight.

I had reflux before surgery. For about two years after surgery, I had none at all. It's back and mainly because I'm a bit too tight, and I know it.

A Prilosec a day keeps it at bay. I'm not slipped, all is well. Just a cruddy side effect. Eating smarter helps it too. I'm back doing lower carb and will probably be able to stop the Prilosec pretty soon.

So that was a long answer to your question. Yes, getting the band and reducing your weight and eating smarter will all help alleviate reflux.

Good luck!

Seems like some people do once they get tight. I'm thankful at 2.5 yrs out to not have had a problem with it.

Acid reflux after banding is not a normal side effect. It is usually caused by one of 2 things, either a new hiatal hernia, or more commonly a too-tight band. It is up to us to go back to the band doc when we get reflux and have it evaluated. Reflux after banding is a sign of trouble that has to be fixed. The complications forum on LBT has a lot of people who had reflux that ignored it, and had bigger problems later.

Usually reflux after banding is fixed by a small unfill of the band. It's a minor procedure, and it's something we all have to be prepared to do if it happens. It's not a big deal, but leaving the reflux untreated can be a big deal down the road. I wouldn't let worries about reflux stop you from being banded. Many people never have problems with reflux at all, and many others who do have their tiny unfill and go on with life without further trouble.

:thumbup:thanks u guys for all the answers i really appreciate the help!!!

I had reflux before surgery. For about two years after surgery, I had none at all. It's back and mainly because I'm a bit too tight, and I know it.

A Prilosec a day keeps it at bay. I'm not slipped, all is well. Just a cruddy side effect. Eating smarter helps it too. I'm back doing lower carb and will probably be able to stop the Prilosec pretty soon.

So that was a long answer to your question. Yes, getting the band and reducing your weight and eating smarter will all help alleviate reflux.

Good luck!

thanks!! i was wondering if u have any pics .....we r the same height and the same weight as pre band for u. i'd like to get an idea of where i might be if i got down to ur weight...i do realize we may carry our weight different but think i would get the idea. :rolleyes2:

Unfortunately acid reflux is a sign of being too tight with the band. Some people get it really bad at night, others through the day. There are only 2 ways to get rid of it. Medication followed by motified diet and a slight unfill. It is common.

thanks!! i was wondering if u have any pics .....we r the same height and the same weight as pre band for u. i'd like to get an idea of where i might be if i got down to ur weight...i do realize we may carry our weight different but think i would get the idea. :D

Bandit Girl - I don't have any handy but let me see what I can do.

If it helps I'm in between a size 12 and size 14. My boobs have gone from a 38-40 D (almost into double) to a 38C, although that is getting loose. I'm going to try a 36D. My feet have gone from a 9 1/2 to an 8 1/2.

You know the biggest change I see? My neck. I had a real flabby neck but it's not as much anymore.

Let me get my fiance to help me with a full body photo, ok?

Ok, here we go.

Geez, this is totally embarrassing. I feel like I look better than this photo shows. Plus my skirt is too big..I probably need to let it go.....

But not bad for a girl who started three years ago at 300 lbs.

As of this morning I weigh 183.

Your milage may vary.

042108full.jpg

Ok, here we go.

Geez, this is totally embarrassing. I feel like I look better than this photo shows. Plus my skirt is too big..I probably need to let it go.....

But not bad for a girl who started three years ago at 300 lbs.

As of this morning I weigh 183.

Your milage may vary.

042108full.jpg

hello karen, u look great!! i only hope i look this good at 183!!! i'd be totally happy at that weight if it looks that great! i know exactly how you feel about being almost 300lbs. i'm there now and cannot wait to start this journey and get where you are.i wish you the best of luck and keep up the good work! have you had any issues or complications since being banded and are you happy you did it?

hello karen, u look great!! i only hope i look this good at 183!!! i'd be totally happy at that weight if it looks that great! i know exactly how you feel about being almost 300lbs. i'm there now and cannot wait to start this journey and get where you are.i wish you the best of luck and keep up the good work! have you had any issues or complications since being banded and are you happy you did it?

Gosh thanks! I actually looked at that photo and was horrified. Oh well...I own it! :tongue_smilie:

Have I had issues/complications? Yes, a few. I got into a bad habit of packing the pouch and distended my esophagus. It took some time on liquids to help that.

I also had been a severe bulimic before banding (had recovered) and I don't think I'd ever fully addressed all the issues. So about a year into banding, it became *too* easy to PB and I had to spiral down into bulimia again.

But that is my issue, not the band's fault. I spend some time in intensive therapy and am proud to say I've kicked that problem. There were some unaddressed food issues.

I will tell ANYONE considering ANY sort of bariatric surgery not to do this without the help of a really good therapist. The body is one thing...the mind is VERY complicated.

I also suffer reflux, but a lot of that is the abuse to my esophagus from vomiting. Since I stopped, the reflux has improved a lot.

I still struggle with food issues. Those just don't go away. And body image issues. It's a lifelong thing.

That said, would I do it again? OH HELL YES! I got my life back. At 300lbs I could barely walk down the hall much less stairs or anything that would exert me. I was miserable. I was hot and sweaty all the time. I ached all day. It was terrible. I was as happy as I could get myself to be at that weight. And then it was time to do something about it.

My band is a freaking miracle. It is a lifesaver. I own my life again. I feel strong and energetic. Ok, sure, I weigh 183 lbs which is STILL obese, but who cares? I can walk and run and jump and my knees don't hurt and my back doesn't ache.

Is the banding process perfect and without troubles? Nope! But the challenges are worth the pay off.

Just my thoughts....like I said, others will have varying thoughts.

I am having trouble with reflux and a little weight gain (15 lbs. in a little over a year) If I have my band tightened, I have terrible reflux. I have never ONCE had my band evaluated under fluoro. Do any of you think I should insist on it? My doctor acts like it is no big deal, so I don't want to worry unnecessarily. Also, mainly, don't want to gain the weight back.

I am having reflux with any band tightening. I am wondering if anyone knows if I definitely should have my band checked under fluoro or with EGD? My doctor has never mentioned it and I am kind of concerned. Thanks for any help.

Hello....I have not had any problems with acid reflux but I am only 9 months out. I am at 6cc's in a 10cc band. May I ask how long you have been banded??