Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Everyone....I think I'll be the contrarian voice here...

I smell a troll and call bullpucky on all of this.

#1 if his colon had been perf'd by the tubing then he would have been in emergency surgery having the tube removed, and the colon repaired. Also he would have been in ICU for quite some time for fear of sepsis.

Ok, that is my only point really .. I mean my time as an EMT I dealt with a few issues where a patient had gone septic, they were all life flighted out *we didn't have the facilities in our itty bitty town* due to sepsis and complications with sepsis.

So, yeah I call major MAJOR bullshit on this.

You can smell anything you like, my friend. Again, I never used the term perforated. I have, however spent time in the emegency room as a result of this, and "septic" was the term used. I spent 12 hours in the ER, and then was transported over to the the hospital that has performed the ORIGINAL surgery, because they couldn't figure out what had happened. I spent a week in the Hospital because of the sepsis, Again, another layer.

MAJOR bullshit? I think not. Please explain to me what I might possibly gain by spending hours reading and responding to these questions, other than to possibly help someone.

I received a PM from a member of this forum who asked me for the name of my doctor, because her mother is experiencing the SAME problems that I had when this whole thing started. I am going to do everything i can to help her, because NO ONE should have to experience what i went through. Hers can be caught in time, it's only in the beginning stages and can be repaired.

Some of you people need to open your minds up a little more, and not be so quick to pass judgement.

OP...

Did you start out with a port infection?

Just a yes or no will do.

Did you ever have a port infection? It sounds like you did.

Just a yes or no will do for now. ;o)

Actually, the direct answer is no; the port infection occured a few months after the surgery.

Number one, not your friend

Number two, if it had "burrowed" or "embedded" would end up the same as a perf' it is still a life threatening situation... and if it was your colon or bowels you would have had emergency surgery then and there to remove the object and repair the "burrowed" or "embedded" area. Sepsis is a very serious thing in the medical community, it can and will kill in a matter of hours. You can polish your halo until you are blinded by it, but I am not buyin ... not even close ...

Actually, the direct answer is no; the port infection occured a few months after the surgery.

It doesn't matter when the port infection happened, you had a port infection.

People, what he is saying is entirely possible. I have no clue if it is true or not, but I have a hunch it might be true. It would not be the same as a perf (for the EMT) the tubing/colon would sound more like an erosion type issue. That is not a matter of life threatening TODAY, that is like..."Really important, mega important and this has to be fixed ASAP."

OP... I wouldn't be pushing the talk show circuit just yet. This is a potential complication of banding. We all know there are risks to banding including the unknown risks. There is no promise that you won't die of surgical/band issues. Not making light of your issue, just saying that you are talking big right now because your family thinks you should go on Oprah.

I knew there were risks to banding and I'm living them right now. So I'll deal with it. But to go into this thinking it is 100% safe and no chance for bad things to happen is burying your head in the sand.

I have a hunch that 85% of what you say is true and maybe 15% or so is frustration and ... well, a bit of drama. But maybe if I experienced the same I'd have some drama too. I don't know.

Good luck to you.

this sounds like a lonely person who is looking for a fictional story and audience. I think I have wasted too much of my time on this already. You have definatetly "lost" me from your taget audience!

....and this is a GOOD thing, because you are not my "target audience" anyway. Lonely? hardly. Fictional story? of COURSE it is. And i spent DAYS just trying to find out everything I could about the Lap band so i could appear credible. Right.

Of COURSE your time is wasted... you've made the decision. your band is working Mine is NOT. And OTHER people may experience the same thing or WORSE. I simply want them to be AWARE of a different perspective. Truth is scary for some people. Like you.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p>

"It doesn't matter when the port infection happened, you had a port infection.

People, what he is saying is entirely possible. I have no clue if it is true or not, but I have a hunch it might be true. It would not be the same as a perf (for the EMT) the tubing/colon would sound more like an erosion type issue. That is not a matter of life threatening TODAY, that is like..."Really important, mega important and this has to be fixed ASAP."

OP... I wouldn't be pushing the talk show circuit just yet. This is a potential complication of banding. We all know there are risks to banding including the unknown risks. There is no promise that you won't die of surgical/band issues. Not making light of your issue, just saying that you are talking big right now because your family thinks you should go on Oprah.

I knew there were risks to banding and I'm living them right now. So I'll deal with it. But to go into this thinking it is 100% safe and no chance for bad things to happen is burying your head in the sand.

I have a hunch that 85% of what you say is true and maybe 15% or so is frustration and ... well, a bit of drama. But maybe if I experienced the same I'd have some drama too. I don't know.

Good luck to you."

Thank you, wasABubbleButt, for at least your openmindedness.

I can assure you that everything I have stated thus far is true. There are those who choose to believe, those who won't, those who will reserve judgement, and those who don't give a damn whether I'm telling the truth or not. They are welcome to their opinions. It is clear that I have not articulated the entire situation to everyone's satisfaction. And there is still more to the story. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Yes, there has been GREAT frustration. But, in all honesty, the frustation has NOT played a role in my adding any drama to this. There is no drama other than what has actually transpired.<o:p></o:p>

And it's not all just about the Lap band. it's about our nation's medical system, our nation's insurance system, the doctors themselves, and what they will or will not take responsibility for. And it's about what WE as individuals will take responsibility for with regard to our own health and well being.<o:p></o:p>

Let's be clear about one thing: I made MISTAKES in this situation. But these were procedural mistakes, to a large degree, in how I responded to doctors and medical professionals who, I feel, were responsible to ME. Listen, I’ve got NOTHING to gain. An appearance on a national talk show for THIS reason would be EMBARRASSING to me. I didn't pursue them; they wanted ME to talk about my experience. My understanding is that they would have someone from the Opposite point of view on the show as well. But, the host is clearly anti-WLS. I am not anti WLS…I’m just not ENTIRELY for it.<o:p></o:p>

The question was raised earlier about why I didn't wait until the WHOLE situation was resolved, AFTER my next surgery. Well the simple fact is, I'm not %100 sure I'll BE here after the surgery. I'm pretty sure, but not totally. I want to present my experience BEFORE I go under the knife again.<o:p></o:p>

The surgeon told me that he thought (I quote): "no other surgeon in the country would take this on". It's THAT messy. That may have been his ego talking. But he DID say that he wasn't sure about the outcome of this. Now, about the "life-threatening" issue. Well....It IS life threatening. If i DON'T have the surgery, I'm toast. He told me that. Will I keel over and die tomorrow? the next day? next week? Probably not. But it WILL happen. And I KNOW it will; the Dr. said so. Several doctors have. Someone here said that it couldn't be life-threatening because death is not "imminent". Tell that to Patrick Swayze. I think he considers his cancer to be Life threatening, even if he has 6 months to live. <o:p></o:p>

There is a lot of discussion here over simple semantics . "Life-threatening". "Target audience"...etc.etc. Well, you can argue as much as you want here about what word or phrase or expression means what. But the simple fact is that I AM experiencing this NOW and have been for a while. I am TRYING to share this with people that might have an interest in my experience. If you don’t believe my story, that’s ok. It probably wasn’t meant that you should hear it. Then you should simply move on. If you think that my story might dissuade someone from having the lap band inserted, well, it might. That’s not my intention. I just want to make sure that people have all the facts, have tried all the avenues, and considered all the alternatives. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I have other replies to other messages, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.<o:p></o:p>

</o:p>

Edited by Headhunter

Thank you, WASaBubbleButt<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_805210", true); </script> , for, at least, your openmindedness.<o:p></o:p>

I can assure you that everything I have stated thus far is true. There are those who choose to believe, those who won't, those who will reserve judgement, and those who don't give a damn whether I'm telling the truth or not. They are welcome to their opinions. It is clear that I have not articulated the entire situation to everyone's satisfaction. And there is still more to the story. <o:p></o:p>

Yes, there has been GREAT frustration. But, in all honesty, the frustation has NOT played a role in my adding any drama to this. There is no drama other than what has actually transpired.<o:p></o:p>

And it's not all just about the Lap band. it's about our nation's medical system, our nation's insurance system, the doctors themselves, and what they will or will not take responsibility for. And it's about what WE as individuals will take responsibility for with regard to our own health and well being.<o:p></o:p>

Let's be clear about one thing: I made MISTAKES in this situation. But these were procedural mistakes, to a large degree, in how I responded to doctors and medical professionals who, I feel, were responsible to ME. Listen, I’ve got NOTHING to gain. An appearance on a national talk show for THIS reason would be EMBARRASSING to me. I didn't pursue them; they wanted ME to talk about my experience. My understanding is that they would have someone from the Opposite point of view on the show as well. But, the host is clearly anti-WLS. I am not anti WLS…I’m just not ENTIRELY for it.<o:p></o:p>

The question was raised earlier about why I didn't wait until the WHOLE situation was resolved, AFTER my next surgery. Well the simple fact is, I'm not %100 sure I'll BE here after the surgery. I'm pretty sure, but not totally. I want to present my experience BEFORE I go under the knife again.<o:p></o:p>

The surgeon told me that he thought (I quote): "no other surgeon in the country would take this on". It's THAT messy. That may have been his ego talking. But he DID say that he wasn't sure about the outcome of this. Now, about the "life-threatening" issue. Well....It IS life threatening. If i DON'T have the surgery, I'm toast. He told me that. Will I keel over and die tomorrow? the next day? next week? Probably not. But it WILL happen. And I KNOW it will; the Dr. said so. Several doctors have. Someone here said that it couldn't be life-threatening because death is not "imminent". Tell that to Patrick Swayze. I think he considers his cancer to be Life threatening, even if he has 6 months to live. <o:p></o:p>

There is a lot of discussion here over simple semantics . "Life-threatening". "Target audience"...etc.etc. Well, you can argue as much as you want here about what word or phrase or expression means what. But the simple fact is that I AM experiencing this NOW and have been for a while. I am TRYING to share this with people that might have an interest in my experience. If you don’t believe my story, that’s ok. It probably wasn’t meant that you should hear it. Then you should simply move on. If you think that my story might dissuade someone from having the lap band inserted, well, it might. That’s not my intention. I just want to make sure that people have all the facts, have tried all the avenues, and considered all the alternatives. <o:p></o:p>

I have other replies to other messages, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.<o:p></o:p>

You got that one available in English? :)

See, what you don't seem to understand is that if you come into somewhere with the pro-WLS and have an anti-WLS connotation, not to mention have the verbiage of a publicist who is trying to pry some emotions and thoughts out of a community, how do you expect everyone to react? I want to believe you, I really do. Like WasABubbleButt said, what happened isn't impossible and does rarely occur, but when the account of it is presented like it was, it sounded like you were just trying to provoke some reaction. My suggestion is to learn how to convey what you would like to convey without sounding like a salesman.

The sad part about all of this is that, despite what you want to think, you are a statistic. Remember that .05% that I mentioned? Well, you are part of the 5 out of 10,000 surgeries that drew the short stick. I do wish you the best. Godspeed.

How long have you had your band? What kind of band is it? When did the problems start? What were your symptoms when you started having problems?

What diagnostic testing did you have? You say this will be the Fourth surgery you are having, what were the other three and why wasn't the band removed in a previous surgery?

If you are going to make a post like this you should expect that people will want more specific information.

If you are trying to help people then this is the type of information that would be helpful. How can we catch a problem right away without knowing what to look for? How can we prevent getting to the place you are? for those of us already banded?

Hi I Do Believe You Need To Work With Your Dr. I Go Every 4 Months I Have Fluid Put In Then Taken Out Its Great.you Cannt Let It Go With Out Seeing Someone Regularly Of Course Now Its To Late But Working With Some One Is Key I Thought I Would Feel Full And Not Be Able To Eat Another Bite But Thats Not True I Can Only Eat 2-3 Oz. Every Couple Hours I Was Trying To Force My Self To Eat The Way I Knew And Dislodged My Band Now I To Have Complication I Dont Blame My Dr I Blame Me For Not Getting All The Info

Hi Nicole!!....You sound like me....Lol!....Being 64, with 4 comorbities, I had absolutely "no choice!"....I like you, could eat allllllllllllll day long and more....And it's proven that 92 percent of diets fail(I've been through 15 of them...LOL!!)....Be not afraid!!!!....I had mine on Feb. 27, and have lost 35 pounds....I can look at pizza, donuts, cakes etc. and never want to touch them....This has been a real education and change for me....I only had discomfort and some pain for 2 days coupled with some gastric disress, hiccups and really only slimed one trime....Your band will tell you when you ate enough....Just follow the post-op instructions and you'll be fine....As far as the negative post here, I DO NOT believe that the lapband will be banned in 3-5 years----------NEVER!!!!....Maybe something new might come along!....Who knows????...But with the pharma. bucks floating around, the success stories etc----NEVER!!......In very small percentages, lapband is not good for people....What surgery is 100 percent????----NONE????....For me there was no other decision but to have it....My best, Chuck....And true!!!!---PUT THAT NEGATIVE POST ELSEWHERE!!!!

My $.02 is that if you want to warn others of what could happen, then you have to be prepared to answer questions.

We want to know: What kind of band was it, when was the surgery, what kind of problems did you have, if any, from the beginning, etc.

I'm being demanding because I want to know: Is the same kind of band as mine, was it earlier in the process when doctors didn't know as much as they do now, did you have problems like mine (I didn't, but want to know the similarities.), etc.

That's why your question dodging is getting on my nerves and making me doubt your story. You're like my 10 year old, when I ask if she did the dishes....Yes, no...well, kinda, maybe. I rinsed one out, so yeah...." Hemming and hawing...GRRRR.

Give some facts.

Give some pictures.

Don't be like the Freak on the street corner screaming "The sky is falling!!!"

Thank you all for being so insistent about answers!!

As someone who is pre-band (the supposed "target audience") I have been following this thread since it began yesterday. The most disturbing thing to me about it? The lack of information. Headhunter is professing to want to educate us about the possible dangers, but is really just teasing us with bits and pieces of information. It's like at the end of a tv show when they show you "scenes from next week". They give you just enough to be sure you tune in next time.

I believe there is probably some degree of truth to his story, but have not heard nearly enough to influence my decision one way or the other.