Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't/don't miss about being Obese

I'm adding to my previous post:

-not having to pay extra for plus size bridesmaid dresses and/or buying an extra yard of fabric at $35/yd because even though I bought the biggest size it may not fit my waist and breasts by Labor Day

-not ruining the couch and loveseat with my fat a$$ deforming the cushions

-doing my weight training at home instead of at the gym out of fear that I will be in compromising positions in public (and in workout wear!)

-buying a bathing suit at a normal store like Old Navy or Macy's instead of special ordering one online for $100-130. Actually, I'd buy several at Old Navy because they're so freakin' cheap!

-only attracting old nasty men instead of ones my age (I'm married, but I still want to look hot and desirable!)

-having the courage to dance in public since I LOVE dancing (club, bellydance, ballroom, salsa, etc)

Getting banded June 6, so it's only a matter of time before these things are history :wink_smile:

Thanks to everyone posting, I agree with all of the things mentioned and I won't miss:

* Struggling to find a comfortable way to trim my toenails and polish them and still be able to breathe.

* Being the heaviest Mom when parents gather.

* Breaking a sweat on my forehead or upper lip just while shopping and walking in a store.

* Shopping for clothes in the Plus size section of the store and limiting the

stores we can shop in.

* Ugly bras and underwear.

* No men looking at me more than a friend.

* Not wanting my picture taken with my kids/family as I am so heavy and ugly in pictures.

* Hurting feet and walking slower than everyone else due to my weight.

* Sitting on the floor if I want to and not worrying how embarassing it will be for others to see me struggle to get up off the floor.

On one of my Dr appointments he pointed out that as an overweight person we have really limited our lives and lifestyles as we have gained weight by not being able to comfortably do certain things, so we choose to cut them out.....one of his examples was crossing your legs.....simple tasks we used to be able to do and can no longer do, due to weight. As we loose the weight we are regaining the ability to do many things we have not been able to do for a long time and taking control over our lives again. Not to mention all of the health benefits and being able to live longer and be with our loved ones longer. :thumbup:Cheers to all of those ahead of us that have lost so much weight and to those just getting started on this healthier journey :wink_smile:. Best Wishes to everyone of us.:tt2:

Edited by gojaguars

I don't miss:

My aching back that I took medication for every day and was still in pain

Being depressed when shopping because I could never find anything my age to wear that doesn't look like a tent.

Only being able to wear flat boring shoes because my feet were always bloated like baloons (I wear knee high boots and all kinds of heels now)

Feeling sorry for whoever has to sit either side of me on a plane because I spilled over the armrest (not fun on a 14 hour flight from Sydney, Australia to LA, let me tell you that).

Having to heave myself in/out of the couch/bed/chair at work

Walking up a flight of stairs and being out of breath

Eating HEAPS and still being hungry and being watched while I eat heaps

And just to go further on that - new things I enjoy

Yoga! Running! Having my photo taken! Shopping Shopping Shopping! Looking nice, I can actually be bothered now! Feeling confident! Feeling strong and fit! Wearing tighter more fashionable clothes!

Life is good! :wink_smile:

Hi SkiGirlDenver,

Did you get your band yet? I am so excited for you.

I read every single word in this thread and I love it. It's so nice to know I am NOT alone. I kept on saying to myself, "oh! oh! That's totally me!" and then sometimes saying, "Oh gosh, I forgot about that!"

I will not miss everything that was said before me. But I finally thought of some "original" ones:

• I will not miss always touching a wall, chair, or cubicle wall while standing and talking with someone because it's too tiring to hold all of my own weight by myself.
  • I will not miss not being able to ride a horse/mule at Yosemite National Park because I weigh too much.
  • I will not miss having cramps in my mid upper back because of the way I hold myself.
  • I will not miss my clothes taking up so much space in a suitcase.
  • I will not miss sweating so much on my head/under my hair.
  • I will not miss having to walk at an angle through the skinny aisle on the upper story of the train I take to work.
  • I will not miss having to wear my work badge and pedometer on my pants pockets instead of my waist because of my jelly roll... and then having to wear them hanging from a shirt when I wear pants that have no pockets.
  • I will not miss always having to leave shirts untucked.
  • I will not miss feeling like I can't cut my hair into a cute short style because it would be out of proportion with my body.
  • I will not miss not being able to shop in the tall sizes in catalogs!
  • I will not miss plantar fasciitis.

Wow, that was going to be a list of one at first! It's amazing how much more I thought of once I started writing.

Ok I am soo getting this....wow, i've felt like I've been the only person on the face of the earth that has had those problems..duhhh....

Won't miss....

1. people at work giving me dieting tips

2. having a fan on my desk while a co-worker has her heater on

3. the up and down looks

4. the thighs rubbing

5. sweating bcs it takes alot of work to try clothes on

6. lagging behind when a group of us walk

7. waiter looks

8. family members(mom/aunts/mother inlaw) constantly putting me down for my weight.

9. taking up two seats anywhere and squezzing into those bucket seats

10. not being able to wear fmb's LOL (f*** me boots)

Haven't been banded yet, but it's coming up, keep you posted!!!!

Ok I am soo getting this....wow, i've felt like I've been the only person on the face of the earth that has had those problems..duhhh....

Won't miss....

7. waiter looks

10. not being able to wear fmb's LOL (f*** me boots)

Haven't been banded yet, but it's coming up, keep you posted!!!!

The waiter looks reminds me, When someone else is eating some mouth wateringly yummy snack and asks if you want some and you immediately pop out with a NO!, because you don't want to seem like you have no will power, like anyone is going to think that you do...........

FMB's, that's funny! :wink2:

funny thing is that I've never actually worn FMB's but they look fun to wear :wink2:

yah i never had that shyness about refusing food, if someone offers and it's food, I'm usually taking LOL

you :thumbup:mean your legs aren't supposed to rub together???? i know funny hun i have been fat so long i forgot that was even an issue!

the biggest thing for me will not being judged by the skinny people anymore.

i will look around the room and see if i see any other fat people so i can feel a little more comfortable. and is it sad but there are ALOT of fat people in America today. I am very rarely the only big person in the room.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!

Love the "cankle" post, made me chuckle.

I will not miss having no energy which leads to my "bored" eating habits.

I just thought of this one and it brought an ENORMOUS smile to my face:

Being able to sink my fat ass when SCUBA diving without taking 24 extra pounds of lead to do so!:blushing::w00t::thumbup::w00t::w00t:

I won't miss standing in the centre of a major shopping centre with a fistful of cash, crying my eyes out in public, after having spent all day unsuccessfully trying to find SOMETHING that fits the idea of "for that special occasion".

I hear you Fanny Adams! If going to be nice to be able to wear clothes you want to wear not what you have to wear. In the UK the main "larger lady" clothes shop is Evans. The do these delightful "comfort shorts" which are kinda like tights but end at the knee they stop your thighs rubbing together if you wear a skirt, I will not miss those ugly buggers that for sure!

KiKi XX

1.White plastic lawn chairs

2.disrespect in Sephora and Nordstrom

3.Fearing my fat butt will make the bathtub fall through the floor

4.not being able to dance the night way on girls night

5.Lane Bryant's bad selection,prices,and styles (I will miss their fabulous strapless bras that actually work,though!)

6.Seatbelt extenders

7.Hitting up fab sales knowing they don't carry my size or anything remotely close to my size

8.practically holding my breath on the subway and train with my arms struggling to remain in my lap so the person next to me can have their entire seat9!!!!)

9.Bathing suits with skirts attached in big ugly prints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10.Feeling apologetic for my presence!

I won't miss:

~my sister-in-law's constant "I'm so fat routine" where she goes on

about how disgusting and over weight she is even though she's only about 15# over weight.. shooting "those looks" at me :tt1:

~getting out of those plastic lawn chairs and not having to have my husband pull it off my butt...this one is kinda funny especially when I have to go find him...:lol:

~having to maneuver around public bathroom doors that swing only

to the inside and you really have to go :eek:

~having to drop my pants to my ankles in public restrooms just to wipe and hoping no one can see under the sides :cool2:

~using a towel instead of a washcloth to be able to reach the private neither regions in the shower :sad_smile:

~my CPAP machine :thumbdown:

~having to settle for crappy looking clothes :angry:

~my feet swelling until they look like balloons with tiny toes sticking out :unsure:

~"those" looks and comments from 85% of people :cursing:

~walking in pain :bored:

~having the bottom of the steering wheel almost collapse your uterus just to reach the peddles ..:crying:

~not being able to catch my breath after any type of slight exertion.. especially sex...which makes my hubby think I'm more "there" than I am..lol.. and not being on top...:wub:

~having to sit down every 10 minutes at Six Flags and not being able to ride some rides .. :bored:

I'm SO going to Six Flags after getting down towards goal weight and I'm gonna go to the final click...:thumbup:

there are tons more but these are the ones off the top of my head:rolleyes2:

Edited by LeighDee