Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bmi of 30 - will any surgeon help me?

Hi all. I am 35, female, and have had a binge eating problem for years. I must say, I feel lucky that it has never gotten me heavier than 190, but I currently weigh 170 and am completely miserable with my utter lack of ability to control the sheer volume of food I gorge myself on. I fit all the criteria for a binge eating disorder, and I am just tipping the body mass index at "obese", but am I "obese" enough for a surgeon to perform this procedure on me? Do they even DO lap band surgery to help binge eating disorder sufferers? I truly have tried everything, but it seems to me the only thing that would work to keep me from bingeing is the simple inability to fit that much food in my stomach. Heck, I've even researched jaw wiring, and there is a dentist not too far from me who does it, but I can't go through life with my jaws wired shut, you know?

I realize most people who go through with this are much heavier than I am, and to be honest, I am a size 12/14 - just slightly bigger than the American "average", but I really am looking more for something to control my eating, and any weight loss would just be a pleasant side effect. Don't get me wrong, I want to lose weight too, but I just feel that a physiological inability to binge would benefit me physically as well as emotionally.

So... anyone have any input?

Thanks,

Christina

I think a 14 is a great size. Wasn't Marilyn Monroe a 14?

I don't think any doctor will band you at that weight and especially with your disorder. have you tried diets like WW and South Beach? Good luck to ya!

normally lap band is something for a higher BMI, OR if you also have issues related to weight (diabetes, sleep apnea, etc...) I'm sure some shady surgeon outside of the U.S. might do it.

have you seen a psychologist/counselor? when dealing with binge eating, you have to look at it as a food addiction, and there are usually there's a set of deeper issues that need to be addressed.

perhaps if you take this route, you may not need surgery at all.

you may be able to lose weight and control your binge eating without surgery.

also, look into a group like Overeaters Anonymous, maybe you can find some answers there.

feel free to PM me if you'd like any more support.

best regards,

Jay

Sounds like you would benefit from working with a behavior modification expert. Either your controlling your binging to a degree or you are purging as well (which is an even bigger problem).

Call your doctor and talk to them about this and let them help you get the help you need.

Good luck to you.

I'm a binge eater at times, and the band helps somewhat but not totally. I'm a snacker/binger who keeps on snacking long after any hunger pangs are gone. The band won't really stop that, because I don't eat that much at one time.

If you went to Mexico you might get a doctor to band you, but you really need to sit back and realize the deep changes a band can make in your life on the negative side. Don't get me wrong; I'm very happy with my band and I'm better both health- and vanity-wise for having had it. But it means a lot of maintenance and you still need to control your eating. I can't sit down and eat a large steak and baked potato, but I can eat some popcorn, then some ice cream, then some nuts, then some chips, then . . . The band doesn't stop that. In fact, I can puke up some nuts and then go eat some ice cream and chips and Cookies. If you are thinking the band will control your uncontrollable urges, you may be disappointed after suffering surgery risks, pain, and frequent discomfort. I think you really need to sit down and evaluate your own demons and your own personality to see if this is for you. It is a tool to help you, but it is very far from a quick and easy fix.

I'm not sure if the lapband is the right answer for you. You are considered a "healthy size" right now. Most, if not all, surgeons require a person to be 100 lbs overweight, with an extensive history of being overweight. Most require your BMI to be 40 or higher. They will do it with a BMI of 35, but you have to have co-morbidities (sleep apnea, hypertension, etc..) I work in a doctors office that does a lot of bariatric referrals and we have had several patients be "denied" surgery because the didn't pass the psych evaluation. Labpand is a physical tool, and it sounds to me like you might need to talk to someone. IMHO.

PS - I'm glad you posted here. We all need help in one way or another, and there are many people here to help. There is nothing wrong with asking :lol:

The lap band will help a lot. Go to Mexico and get it. You sound like me before I got the band, I was an eating fool. Now.... I am getting studlier by the day. :lol:

Edited by Leather

There is a national study right now that is banding people with BMI's from 30-35. I saw the link on Dr. Waldrep's website when I downloaded some forms I needed to fill out. Your surgeon will have to be apart of the study group if you want to participate. The website is for Dr. Waldrep. The posting guru's don't let you put in full web addresses!:biggrin:<www.salsa.md>

</www.salsa.md>

My take on this, if you are a BMI of 30 who has been fighting it, like I did my entire life, I feel for you. There are people at BMI's of 30 who are "morbidly obese" just wait a few years. I have been a size 8 longer then I have been morbidly obese in my life. But I knew, even at a size 8, healthy BMI the second I let my guard down I would become like my mother, my father and many other relatives. And ya it was a battle I eventually lost BIG TIME ( no pun intended). I was not morbidly obese until the last 5 years and I put on the weight in the snap of a finger. I couldn't fight it any longer.

Perhaps I don't get this...but my take on some of the comments in this thread took me back. I mean I get it to a point, I just feel there is a bit of prejudice against op because her BMI is low. I was taken back, if she were a BMI of 40 I think the answers would be very different. I mean as far as those who said she should seek therapy, that binge eating is not solved with the band, etc. I totally think ya'll were sweet in your response I just think maybe it would have been different if her BMI was higher. Should she wait until she has a 40 BMI with comorbids and has been that way for 5 years? Sounds to me like she yo-yo's but has been much higher then she is now.

To the original poster. I honestly feel you deserve a quality of life NOW. If there are credible Doctors who will perform this procedure for you why wait? I was in your shoes not so long ago and if this could have saved all the medical problems I am having now I would have jumped at the chance to have it done at a lower BMI. We all know dieting doesn't work for 96% of those who try it, and eventually it just makes you gain more....drrr. Not to knock therapy because I do feel it is invaluable but if it were enough why would anyone here need the band, we could all simply find great therapists, right?

The OP talked about emotional binge eating, that is a hard one that I feel if we are honest we have all done at one time in our life. But this sounds like a big problem for you. Is this more because you are dieting and just get famished? I don't generally feel full-so ya I can diet and then I can binge because I'm going to die if I don't inhale some food really fast, not really emotional binge eating but if we want to be technical there is no physical explanation why my 5'2" frame can eat more then my 6'7" husband and still not feel full. Some would call that emotional binging even though I swear I am physically hungry. I would be willing to bet most on this board have had a binge episode, even the ones who are successful with their bands. I feel most people in general do a little emotional eating. I, however, unilke my friend who can have one cookie during an emotional eating binge, won't feel satiety until after the entire box of Cookies is gone. Big difference.

Edited by Luu2008

Well, yes, of course if her BMI were 40 I might feel differently. Her health would be threatened much more severely if that were the case.

I'm not a big fan of the "emotional eating" theory if obesity. Maybe I am in denial, but I don't think that's what I do. I do start eating and have a very hard time stopping, and like I said, the band doesn't really help me with that.

Anyone comtemplating the band should read the threads concerning complications and band removal to get an idea of what is involved in the downside of banding, whether their BMI is 30 or 50. It's just that the health reasons for banding are not as great for the person with a BMI of 30 as the one whose BMI is 50, even though they are still there.

My band keeps me from my binge eating ways. I haven't figured out how to eat around it.. don't tell me!!

But I do think you have a tighter reign on it than you think if you're only 170lb 12/14 clothing. If you binged all the time (like you say you do), I would imagine you'd be quite bigger.

I think band as a preventative measure is a good idea in adults, if they want to go through with it.

Luu2008 - I understand what you are saying and honestly, I would say the same thing if OP's BMI was higher. I say this, because binge eating can be dangerous, especially with a band. I think ANYONE should try to get ahold of bingeing before they do something drastic to their body. I agree - if I could have done something about getting fat before I got fat, I would have. I just want everyone to be careful.

Also, the OP titled the thread "will any surgeon help me" and the honest answer is "Not in the US". It may suck but it's the reality of the band at this point in time. Even in Mexico, you need comorbidities if your BMI is under 35 -- and even then not all surgeons will do it.

Yes there are studies being done on the band with people with BMIs in the 30-35 range. But, as far as I have been able to tell from my research on clinical trials, they've already got all their subjects and aren't accepting new ones.