Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inamed & Mexican Band Surgeons

I woke up perplexed regarding Mexican surgeons and Inamed. Last weekend another Lopez patient lost her Band, so Penni contacted Inamed for answers, and she received this e-mail from Inamed.

“As well as I have complete confidence in Dr Lopez and his team with myself and family members. All people of all occupations have events that are not perfect. I am sure you have had them as well. His results are at the highest levels in the world and his complication rates at the lowest. I am sorry your own and a few others you have spoke with have not been what you want. Please keep in mind there are Thousands of successful surgical patients of Dr Lopez out there.” Larry

Kuri, Ortiz and Rumbault, etc. have more complications that Lopez? I’ve seen complaints about the Moulding Clinic and Garza, and I’ve only heard 2 complications with Ortiz. I’ve heard a few minor problems with Kuri, and I’ve never heard a negative note about Rumbault. Yet all these complications have been resolved and everyone still has healthy Bands with not one case of erosion (that I’ve heard of.)

Yet I know at least 12 serious problems with Lopez in the past few months alone - with 6 recent Band removals.

If Lopez is the surgeon with the lowest complication rate, then I certainly owe him an apology. It’s the nature of medicine that things go wrong randomly, even when the surgeon is immaculate and does everything to perfection. But if other surgeons have more complications, I want to know about them.

If it’s true that all other surgeons have higher complications, then information is obviously being swept under the table. Is the Band as safe as we are lead to believe or is important statistical information being held back from us?

Help me here.

I'd venture to suggest that all of those surgeons have had complications. Perhaps their patients do not come post on support boards. Where would you expect this information to come from? Have you asked the doctors' offices for their complication rates?

I asked Inamed for the information, but they refuse to divulge any information. I will ask Dr. Billy next time I talk to him, but I was hoping other members might ask their surgeons next time they speak, too.

I am just shocked once again about the recent string of Lopez' patients that are popping up with complications.

Port infections = Someone contacted me this morning who had this problem.

Port revisions = Myself, Donali, and others out there I am sure.

Band erosions = I think the last count I remember there were 7 from last year.

Incisions infections = Too many to count including myself.

Life-threatening issues = One that I know of most recently.

These are just a few of the complications I am aware of. Not to mention erroneous information being distributed by Lopez and his staff.

Sigh!!

IT just goes to show you to be extremely careful with regards to going to Mexico or any doctor for that matter but to be extremely scrutinizing of Mexico doctors because there is NO recourse if you are facing more surgeries or out more money for health care.

SIGH!!

I read on another thread that Ortiz trained Lopez. That's a lie. I don't know why there's so much dishonesty connected to Mexico. There's no reason for it.

Before being banded (like with the IV already in my arm)by Ortiz, I asked Dr. Martinez about their prior complications. He told be they had None (and knocked wood)! Given the number of procedures they do I couldn't help but think this couldn't be true. To be fair, the context in which I asked was more in the spirit of major complications, but he did say they never have had to convert to an open procedure, never have had any vital organ damaged during the surgey, or any deaths. Delarla, I'm curious to hear about the two Ortiz complications you've heard about.

Mike- What is your band date? I think I saw somewhere that it was March 22, which was the day before mine. I was banded on March 23. Is this correct?

How are you doing? I hope this post finds you well and recovering quickly. Do you plan to go to Martinez for your 6 week check up and fill? I will be there Sat May 7th for my 6 week.

Alex...the complications in the US, if any, should be reported to the FDA, because the band is an implanted medical device just like a pacemaker.

I don't know where the doctors in other countries are supposed to report complications with devices.

(Hi...I've been really, really busy...but thought I might know something about this. Probably, I was wrong.)

Jenna- I was banded 3/22, just a day before you (we must have passed each other in the hospital). I made my fill appointment on May 7th as well (10:30). I'm recovering nicely. I feel a little guilty today because I ate some solid food- its only four days early. I hope you are doing well too.

Mike, the two people I know asked me not to post their problems, so I deleted what I wrote in respect of their wishes. Having a LapBand is just as dangerous as any other surgery. Hundreds of things can go wrong, from problems with anesthesia and drugs to band erosions. I've asked why Inamed claims Dr. Lopez has the lowest level of complications. Why do we hear every Lopez problem but we don't hear about other surgeons' complications? If Lopez has the lowest, that means all other surgeons are having a fair share of problems. So far all I am is frustrated with the lack of honesty because I don't know who to trust. Trust in a surgeon is very important to me, and when surgeons aren't reporting complications to Inamed, which they are required to do regardless of how menial they believe the complication to be, that's a huge breach in trust that should make people think twice. Even if the surgeon does everything immaculately, things can and do go wrong. It's not a reflection on the surgeon but the nature of practicing medicine. I would rather have a surgeon tell me he's had 10 complications than a surgeon that claims he's had zero because there's no such number as zero when it comes to practicing medicine.

hi Decarla,

There are 4 people--just that I know of--that come to this website that had their lapband put in at the Molding Clinic. Probably lots more--those are just the ones I know of. No--it isn't a new clinic. They have done 3,000+ lap bands. Andres, their patient coordinator, has had his band for 8 years. He lost 165 lbs. You'd never know it--he's just a little guy. Actually I've lost 20 lbs now--today is 1 months after my surgery date. Just haven't figured out how to change my ticker yet. :)

have done 3,000+ lap bands. Andres, their patient coordinator, has had his band for 8 years.

Weird..When andres was working for obesity goodbye, he told us he had gastric bypass and it didnt work, so dr verboonen inserted a lap-band into him. Ive heard hes told other people he just has a band..others dr huacuz did it for him. Wonder what hes telling everyone else.

He has pictures of himself at 165 lbs heavier. Also just had a Tummy Tuck because of all loose skin. He holds support group meetings for people with eating disorders. He considers himself still to have one, though his weight has been under control for many years now.