Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Canadian Process:

You're probably right about the post op fee. I'll have to ask about the Psych Fee (but I have a feeling it will quickly become an outdated document that should have said "consultation fee" when I ask!)... sorry, I'm a little pessimistic when it comes to paying for these types of things... I truly think it should be covered by that health care system I pay into every year, hence the negative energy.

Other than money, I'm FULL STEAM AHEAD with positive energy around the surgery!!!! Can't wait, so excited and looking forward to dealing with this once and for all! It truly is a SMALL price to pay! :)

Well, I must ask then, why did I get charged $1,000 for a psychological assesment from the TLBC, if they haven't even implemented it yet? The only person I met was Kathy. It's great that she attends courses and I do feel she's knowledgable on the topic, but I question if she's capable of determining my psychological readiness for the surgery and more over, if she's eligible to charge me $1,000 for the assessment.

That's all I'm saying. I'm still getting the surgery, still going through the TLBC and still confident it's the best thing for me, I just think it's a bit of a cash grab, charging me for services they didn't even perform.

I also find it SHOCKING that the post op care costs more than the band itself!!!! $6,000 for post op support? That's pretty high, considering the surgery only costs $5,000 and the band only costs $5,000. And what traditionally costs the most, the anethesist (sp??? I have no clue how to spell the name of the guy that knocks you out), only costs $1,000!!!! It's just all a little off to me.

Still, regardless of where they allocate the $$$, it's $18,000 overall and that's what I expected to pay for the entire surgery, so that's what I'll pay.

I feel the exactly same way, on all points. :)

Love and Betty,

I offer this advice and take it for what it is worth it is free... before you get the surgery ask the clinic and have your questions addressed. I hate seeing people going into this feeling like you are being ripped off, in conflict and questioning things. People who go in like that seem to question their choice later on and think similar thoughts if anything bad ever happens like a complication or plateau for a length of time.

Go into this with the right mind set you are making a choice and paying a lot of money for something that will change your life forever, changes the way you eat, eventually the way you think, your appearance and really your entire life there is no aspect of this band that will allow you to live the same life you live as an obese person when you do it correctly.

Please please go into this with no questions about your clinic or their fees, sit down on the phone face to face email whatever and ask them to clarify why the fees are structured the way they are. Why is post op so much... you guys have no idea when I was banded it was 10K straight to the surgeon and there was no clinic, no nutritionist, no websites, no bandsters at goal to talk to we had nothing but each other.

Post op is now a huge thing they have realized that it is almost more important than the band in some ways how you change your life after the surgery and how you deal with the changes.

Just go into the surgery with a light heart and knowing that this is the right thing for you. All the clinics charge similar fees and offer some of the similar post op care but it varies. To me when I look at what TLBC offers compared to the other clinics it is the most comprehensive program of aftercare for their patients. They are one of the few clinics that even hires banded patients to deal with bandsters they know our issues because they have walked in our shoes.

I love TLBC I never felt ripped off and I don't question where my money went. Dr Yau to me is the best surgeon I could ever ask for and is truly skilled at what he does.

Good luck, and make sure you clear up any questions, or feelings of conflict pre banding.

Heather

When I went for my consultation, I had no idea, no paperwork at all about how my money was allocated. As far as I knew, my price was $16,000. (glad I had this done last year) including everything. So if there was a psych evaluation, I didn't know about it.

I remember talking to a friend about having this op last summer and I said I felt so bad spending all this money on myself. She said this to me, and it really stuck.

"How much is your future health worth? You don't want to end up like your Mother, a recluse who can't leave her home because of her weight and her lack of mobility. Also, add how much you have spent over the last ten years on diet books, special foods, homoeopathic type doctors, weight loss groups and tell me that you haven't spent at least double the fee on things that haven't worked."

And she was so right. Earlier that year I had gone to a Chinese herbalist and her bill including medicines and her fee was over $1000 (over a few months). And I was ten pounds heavier!

I agree with Heather that you have to feel that you are doing something good for your health, your body and don't sweat the fact that we have to pay for this. If someone had told me that I could be thin if I paid them "X" amount of money years ago, I would have paid them. Did pay them in small increments with every failed gimmick that I believed in. Plus, a lot in life isn't fair, and we have to put up with it.(especially when it is to do with the government and taxes)

But you know? This works. I'm losing slowly, but surely and have faith for the first time in years that I will accomplish what I've tried to do since I was 11.

Mary:thumbup:

Hi

I was banded mar25 and did not have to have a psych evaluation.I think that is only required if insurance is paying and people from the US for surgery

I agree with Heather. Ask questions if you have doubts or feelings about the cost. Believe me Dr Yau and his staff are worth the money. They care about your health and your success and the follow up care is so valuable that you will be so very happy you paid it. The staff are their to make sure you're cared for - and they do care.

I look at it as an investment in your health and happiness. Do it for you and your loved ones. Get the answers you need and then enjoy the process. You'll be happy you did it.

You don't need good luck - I know you can do it!

Hugs,

Edited by angel bear
name change

Hello My friends, I appreciate ALL of the comments on the topic. I am getting banded tomorrow at the TLBC. As I've stated from the beginning, I have no doubts that I'm making the right decision and the cost is not impacting my decision. BUT, I am a rational person... my logic is going to kick in, regardless of my final decision. So, I checked with the clinic about the Psych fee. I was right, I didn't get a psych evaluation... but I did get charged the $1,000 for it. The clinic informed me that they are going to be putting that service into effect in the future, but they'll invite me to a seminar with the Psychologist after surgery... so, I guess I'm paying $1,000 for the optional post surgery seminar. Do you guys get my issue here? It has nothing to do with having the surgery. I'm having the surgery no matter what. It has to do with the exploitation of those in a desperate state. I'd pay anything for the surgery, as would most people on this site. It's obviously known that my state is the state of many, and it's being taken advantage of by those that can by charging for services not being provided (which, by the way, is illegal). Unfortunately, it's sad, but true. Still, I'm getting banded tomorrow, can't wait! I'll deal with the money issue AFTER the surgery... there's NO WAY I'm pissin off anyone in the clinic BEFORE the surgery!!!! hahaha

Thanks for all of the concern, guys!

Betty good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I certainly understand that you don't want to alienate anyone prior to your surgery, but I really have to question the rationale about the increase fees, especially for something you neither want nor need.

Unfortunately it appears as though it is too late to get a refund and rebook elsewhere - that would be my advice to anyone else who may not feel as comfortable with spending the extra money - I have to wonder why the price difference between the two main clinics as well. The services are, on the surface, similar - options should be discussed and chosen. Regardless, the consensus seems to be that you will be in good hands.

Cindy

Cindy, thanks for the note. You hit the nail on the head. Based on EVERYTHING I've read, I am confident I've selected the best clinic for me and will be in good hands. This is why I will not switch clinics or make a big fuss. In the big picture, $1,000 is NOT a make it or break it amount for me. I know this is all worth it...

Hello My friends, I appreciate ALL of the comments on the topic. I am getting banded tomorrow at the TLBC. As I've stated from the beginning, I have no doubts that I'm making the right decision and the cost is not impacting my decision. BUT, I am a rational person... my logic is going to kick in, regardless of my final decision. So, I checked with the clinic about the Psych fee. I was right, I didn't get a psych evaluation... but I did get charged the $1,000 for it. The clinic informed me that they are going to be putting that service into effect in the future, but they'll invite me to a seminar with the Psychologist after surgery... so, I guess I'm paying $1,000 for the optional post surgery seminar. Do you guys get my issue here? It has nothing to do with having the surgery. I'm having the surgery no matter what. It has to do with the exploitation of those in a desperate state. I'd pay anything for the surgery, as would most people on this site. It's obviously known that my state is the state of many, and it's being taken advantage of by those that can by charging for services not being provided (which, by the way, is illegal). Unfortunately, it's sad, but true. Still, I'm getting banded tomorrow, can't wait! I'll deal with the money issue AFTER the surgery... there's NO WAY I'm pissin off anyone in the clinic BEFORE the surgery!!!! hahaha

Thanks for all of the concern, guys!

Betty,

trust me on this questions don't piss them off, I have known Kathy for over 7 years, she is an honest person, and one of the best bandsters that I know.

Good luck tomorrow, liquids is short in the life of banding and keep posting

HEather

Cindy D:

I don't have insurance coverage.

It was TLBC & Kathy was clear that the deposit was non-refundable, though it could be used at a later date. That doesn't help much if you don't pass the tests. I have no reason to believe that I won't.

I convinced her to 'pencil' me in & I would pay Monday (tomorrow). I have since decided that I will pay as soon as the doctor has seen my test results & has approved me. I can't see them having a problem with that. I am trying not to get too excited until then.

Thanks for the support. :cry_smile:

You;ll be happy with the care at TBLC... Dr. Yau is very competant and stands by his procedures!!! That is what really counts. He cares about his patients.

Welcome to bandland Bettyboop

Hi Donna; been awhile since we 'chatted'.... how are you coming along? Did you ever get your port moved? How has your progress been.

You;ll be happy with the care at TBLC... Dr. Yau is very competant and stands by his procedures!!! That is what really counts. He cares about his patients.

That is great to hear. I am still 'pencilled' in & will be paying my deposit & be 'inked' in just as soon as I get confirmation that my test results were good. :biggrin2:

That is great to hear. I am still 'pencilled' in & will be paying my deposit & be 'inked' in just as soon as I get confirmation that my test results were good. :biggrin2:

I am sure your tests are fine, be honest about any health issues and you will pass

Good luck

Heather