Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out & eating like a horse!

I know I am not supposed to be doing this but, I didn't get fat not eating...right? I usually stick to the plan by drinking a Protein Shake at Breakfast and another for lunch. I drink all my Water during the day, too. By the time dinner time rolls around I am so hungry I could eat a horse! Tonight I went to an italian restaurant for a birthday dinner. I ate calamari, bread, salad, and 3/4 of a chicken cutlet with Pasta (chicken parmigiana)! I have never felt sick, never gotten sick, no pain, nothing.

Is the band even in there??? Will it ever work?? Has this happened to anyone else??

I know that some will ream me for cheating, but I would appreciate some constructive information. Believe me, my husband gives me enough grief about it...I don't need anymore! Thanks so much!

so, i'm about a week behind you, but i know exactly how you are feeling. i find that if i drink a slimfast or Atkins shake, i am absolutely starving 2-3 hours later. not just hungry, but ready to eat my shoe. however, if i make my own Protein shake for breakfast, i'm good.

example: i'll make a shake with a banana, some peach drinkable yogurt (kefir brand), a scoop of Protein powder, and some mootopia skim milk. this comes in between 300-400 cals (and lots and lots of protein), but i usually am not hungry for 4 or 5 hours, at least, and then i'm not starving. for lunch i can get away with some Tomato Soup (i like the campbells sippy cup ones), and by dinner, i'm hungry, but not so much that i do something stupid. if i start off with a canned Protein Shake, i tend to do stupid things, like eat a piece of pizza 8 days post op. (which was yummy but not worth the guilt)

hope this helps.

I know I am not supposed to be doing this but, I didn't get fat not eating...right? I usually stick to the plan by drinking a Protein shake at breakfast and another for lunch. I drink all my Water during the day, too. By the time dinner time rolls around I am so hungry I could eat a horse! Tonight I went to an italian restaurant for a birthday dinner. I ate calamari, bread, salad, and 3/4 of a chicken cutlet with Pasta (chicken parmigiana)! I have never felt sick, never gotten sick, no pain, nothing.

Is the band even in there??? Will it ever work?? Has this happened to anyone else??

I know that some will ream me for cheating, but I would appreciate some constructive information. Believe me, my husband gives me enough grief about it...I don't need anymore! Thanks so much!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Darling you haven't had a fill yet - that one reason. you are in bandster hell (the time between surgery & fill)

On week 3 I was still on mushies (I had 10 days of each stage) and you are eating regular food?? What stage on you on ?? Can you have creamed Soups -

I will tell you with the band you still have to have will power - the will to change your eating habits.

Even with proper restriction you can eat around the band - so it's going to take will power to change your old ways - The band is a great tool - but that's all it is - it in its self is not going to make you lose weight. You really gotta do the head work to succeed at this. And imho it's mostly about the head work - not the stomach.

Yep there are tons of people here who have cheated and ate food before they were suppose to - but that still doesn't make it acceptable - no you aren't alone - does that make you really feel any better about cheating yourself - just cuz other did too.

This is a learning process and it's going to take time - all I can tell you is now - you just move forward - leave dinner in the past - this second is a brand new second - pull those boot straps up and move forward with the determination that you will succeed in this endeavor to get healthy

Remember you are the living breathing thing with the brain -not the food you have more power than the food.

Good Luck -

P.S. - Also you can damage your stomach/band with a slip by eating too soon - you are in the healing process - becareful Please..

Indio, I couldn't agree more...it sounds like we are at about the same stage...I was banded on 3/21 and i'm eating everything I'm NOT supposed to :biggrin: I do fine during the day, but at night, I lose ALL self control. I've lost 14 pounds, but I know I could be losing more and I know that I could be damaging myself. I think once I realized that with no restriction there really wasn't much point to eating just liquids and mushies, I quit that whole game...but WOW Indio, you really put it into perspective for me and I'm totally inspired to start doing it right again. I get my fill this Wednesday. I am really hoping that that too will help my confidence. Thanks for this new post on this topic...we need to be reminded every now and then of this!

Hello Nikki... I'm in AZ too.. Tucson that is. It will get better after a fill.. then.. right about 2 weeks out again you start feeling hungry again, it's all about finding a sweet spot, you'll have one someday... Good Luck, keep us posted on your first fill.

I'm in bandster hell now too. Up until a week post-op I had amazing restriction, eating a few bites at a time and I was so full it was great. As of yesterday now my appetite is back and Im eating more at a sitting. At this point Im just trying not to go backwards in my weight loss and make it until my first fill April 30th. From what Ive gathered this is normal during the healing process. Im on "mushies" ie Soups for lunch and soft white fish and vegetables for dinner. But I did eat a half cup of ice cream tonight!!!:biggrin:

Hey guys! Just wanted to encourage you to hang in there. I'm actually at the same stage you are, and it's amazing to me how quickly old habits can rear their ugly head (taking big bites....eating too quickly....) Oh well, I am really excited though...I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this helps. when I go out for dinner or even at home, I have a bowl of Soup, with lots of vegies and broth, and no bread and then my dinner. start on the protien first then the vegies, and hopefully you will have no room for the rest. It works for me.

Hope this helps. when I go out for dinner or even at home, I have a bowl of Soup, with lots of vegies and broth, and no bread and then my dinner. start on the protien first then the vegies, and hopefully you will have no room for the rest. It works for me.

So, are you only having the soup right now that you are in pre fill mode? I mean once you have restriction will you still try this?

Thanks Jack....I know you always have good and wise words for us! Especially us newbies..

As I am waiting for my banding..I HAVE been trying to identify when I am full...satiated...etc....It is very hard to just put that fork or spoon down but I have been trying...

I notice that you get the feeling, then if you stop and wait usually it is ok BUT if you sit there and eat one tiny little bite more then you have lost that feeling and can finish the whole plate...

Does that sound about right?

Thanks

no, I eat normal, must have a small bowl of Soup then my regular dinner. also usually soup (homemade) with kidney Beans, vegies, and onion.

I had a fill (my first today) and am again on clear for 2 days. it seems to be working for me. I also walk 16 kms a week, and train at the gym 3 times a week.

Same boat here.

AZNikki - same here. I do great during the day and when I get home from work - everything falls apart eating wise.

I was banded on 3/24/08 and I need that first fill bad!!!

Hi Guys, I have been banded since 31st January...had my first fill on 18th March and still no restriction. I have a fill booked for next week, so fingers crossed as I am finding it harder and harder to keep on the straight and narrow. I walk the dog twice a day and go to the gym 3 nights a week just to keep me busy. My husband and dog have never looked so good with all the weight they have lost!

I will keep going, but it does get hard to try and change the mentality you have had for a lifetime in just a few short weeks.

I have written a list of all the reasons I had this band and when I get down I sit and read it and it makes me go and find something to do to keep me away from food. Try it..

Kim Adams

Wow!! All of these posts are sooo informative!! I am scheduled for 5/1. I am supposed to be on Clear Liquids for 2 days (not even jello), and then the equivalent of 1 slimfast per day for 2 weeks after that. My doc. has already informed me that I'll be ok for the first 1.5 weeks, but I will be starving after that. He asked that I follow the rules and TRUST him...... I was glad for the "heads up".

Adamskin: keep that list posted where you can always see it!! I am a big believer in visuals to help reach goals.

Jack: Your tips are great. I have read several of your posts and you are very sensible and to the point. I appreciate that!!

I know that I will have to keep reminding myself that the band is a "tool" to be used. The mental part is what is everyone's downfall. This is a huge step for me and I owe it to myself to follow through AFTER the surgery to be as successful as I can!!!

This website is a lifesaver for me and I will continue to use it for motivation, support and help through the difficult times!!!! We all have the same thing in common which is the inability to identify when we are full...... I will only listen to the docs rules and follow them to the letter....

All the best to all of you!!! Let's keep this going!!!:thumbup: