Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the weight off after lap-band removal support thread

Hi, heatcool, I understand, I feel the same about my band, but this is a place for those with difficulties to come and get support.:party:

I want to join! What do I do to be a part of this group? Just had my band removed on Saturday 5.24.08 and am scared to death to gain the weight back! Thanks

I want to join! What do I do to be a part of this group? Just had my band removed on Saturday 5.24.08 and am scared to death to gain the weight back! Thanks

LOL. I'd say having your band out qualifies you. Do you mind sharing the story of why you had your band out? Are you at goal weight?

first of all, I admire all of you who have had problems and are sticking with your weight loss/maintence plan and have good attitudes on top of it !!!

I'm fairly new to the band (2/27/08) and was wondering: (1) were the problems you had that required removal easy to identify? Like pain that was out of control? what is erosion/slippage and how do you know you have it; (2) was there anything that you could have done to prevent it or it was just a fluke, the nature of the band; (3) did your insurance pay for complication revisions even if you were initially self pay; (4) do they usually allow for a revision to a bypass or something else even if you've already lost your weight?

Good luck to all of you who have lost a ton of weight and are keeping it off !!!!

first of all, I admire all of you who have had problems and are sticking with your weight loss/maintence plan and have good attitudes on top of it !!!

I'm fairly new to the band (2/27/08) and was wondering: (1) were the problems you had that required removal easy to identify? Like pain that was out of control? what is erosion/slippage and how do you know you have it; (2) was there anything that you could have done to prevent it or it was just a fluke, the nature of the band; (3) did your insurance pay for complication revisions even if you were initially self pay; (4) do they usually allow for a revision to a bypass or something else even if you've already lost your weight?

Good luck to all of you who have lost a ton of weight and are keeping it off !!!!

Hi Linda!

First let me commend you on reading all the posts on the site and not just the "warm and fuzzy, feel good" ones. It is important to be informed on all aspects of your band. Now let me address your questions:

1- For me, it was very evident (although it was not for my doctor, go figure!). Always trust yourself and listen to what your bosy is telling you. I was not able to keep anything down. No real pain, but the worst heartburn on the face of the planet! (my band slipped)

2- I am not sure. I was not a perfect bandster, but I do not think that anyone is. For me, the day I got the band in I felt off. My body actually formed scar tissue around the band. So I guess in a way my body rejected it. But then again, I was not a perfect bandster either. Who knows? Just be good to yourself and your band :-)

3- I was a self pay and when I got the band removed my insurance DID pay. I was so worried too. I guess that if you get it removed after a certain period (3 months) and it was for life threatening reasons. I would check with your company though, just to make sure. I think they are all different.

4- My Dr. asked me if I wanted to get a bgypass and I was 170 lbs when the band was removed. (Ie, I was not obese) of course I said no. I have since lost an additional 15lbs :-) (I had to toot my horn there! I just could not help it)

Great questions btw!!!!

Take care!

Hala

Hi Linda123!

1. My band was removed because of erosion. Erosion is where the band migrates itself inside the stomach. It was identified through EGD. Some symptoms of erosion include: inadequate weight loss (because the band is not functioning correctly), port site infection, (the infection travels down the tubing to the port site), or abscess. Often times, though, there are no symptoms.

2. In my case, I don't think there was anything I could have done to prevent the erosion. Nobody knows exactly why it happens but the most popular theories are that the band is too tight or the stomach lining was compromised in some way. I ate the way I was supposed to and never took an NSAID. I don't think I was filled too tightly, either, as a good portion of the time I was unfilled. I do think it's possible that my band was either too small or stitched too tightly at the time of my initial surgery. Also, my band came unbuckled inside of me. I don't know if the band came unbuckled because of the erosion or if the band came unbuckled and caused the erosion.

3. I was initially a self-pay. The insurance did cover some of my complications and band removal, but I was still responsible for a large portion of it.

4. I'm not quite sure who you mean by "they". My insurance has a WLS clause, so certainly they wouldn't cover anything. As for the doctors, they aren't required to do anything for you after your initial surgery, but some of the more reputable docs on this board have stepped up to help patients from time to time.

Good questions and good luck to you!

Hey, all! I just wanted to check in with you all and see how you're doing.

My weight is slowly starting to creep back so I need to get my butt in gear. How's everyone else doing? What helps keep you on track?

Hala,

Congrats on the additional loss. How are you doing since being debanded. Do you have to to struggle or did you just change your eating habits? I was just debanded last Saturday and am scared that I'll gain all my weight back. I started at 249 and lost to 195 before getting debanded. The first few days I had already gained 5 pounds because of Water I assume. I started eating this Thurs. and it feels like heaven. Just small salads and such. Anyway, I like this group and appreciate the support. Would like to hear from you. Sharyl

Hala,

Congrats on the additional loss. How are you doing since being debanded. Do you have to to struggle or did you just change your eating habits? I was just debanded last Saturday and am scared that I'll gain all my weight back. I started at 249 and lost to 195 before getting debanded. The first few days I had already gained 5 pounds because of Water I assume. I started eating this Thurs. and it feels like heaven. Just small salads and such. Anyway, I like this group and appreciate the support. Would like to hear from you. Sharyl

Hello Sharyl,

I am sorry to hear about you getting debanded. How do you feel about it? In response to your question, I am doing great. As happy as I was to get the band removed, my initial motivation for staying on track was the fear being the person who got weightloss surgery and failed to loose weight. So for the first few months, I kept telling myself that. Everytime I got head hunger, I would ask myself what was more important, my health or food. In time, I learned how much food my body actually needed. Before the surgery I had no idea how much I was eating, despite the fact that I was a calorie counter! (I would count calories and then if I went over my goal I would just stop counting :wink2: ) There are also 2 other important factors: 1- I cut down on my carbs tremendously. I cannot stress enough how little carbs you body actually needs!! I upped my protien as well. So much more filling. I know this sounds horrible, but instead of having pretzels and other high carb foods for a snack, I eat a small can of tuna, or a handful of raw almonds, or a boiled egg. I know that it sounds gross and unfulfilling, but you would be surprised how quickly the hunger pains go away in comparison to the higher carb items (which would NEVER fill me up and I just kept going back for more and more) 2- I am moving. I guess this part came pretty easy for me because I have always worked out, even at my heaviest, but there again, I did not realize how much you have to exercise to loose weight. Each person is different, but for me, I need to run 25 + miles per week to drop weight. But as any workout regimen START SLOW!!! :thumbup: What helped me to get where I am is training for a marathon. (Which I will be running tomorrow :cool2:) I joined a running group and the support was amazing. I made new friends, gained a heck of a lot of confidence and am overall a much happier person! Exercise does wonderful things for your body. And I have a motto to keep me motivated: "I regret not going to the gym, but I NEVER regret going!!" So not matter how crappy or unmotivted you feel, MAKE YOURSELF GO! even if it is just for a short walk around the block:regular_smile:.

With this being said, I have many bad days (like yesterday) when I ate myself into a frenzy. But I try not to dwell. I just pick myself up and start over. As long as the overall trend is moving in the right directon, then I am fine. Oh, and one last thing: I weigh myself everyday. That way, If I gain weight I can work on loosing it right away, instead of having to loose more if I go too long without weighing.

I wish you the best of luck with your weightloss! Remeber to always chew chew chew! That rule does not change after getting debanded! I will always be here if you need motivation or just someone to vent to! Take care and keep eating those salads :(

Hala

Thanks for the quick response Hala. You are running your marathon today and I'm thinking about you. I have actually done 2 half marathons with the LLS (leukemia, lymphoma society) and it was a blast. Bermuda and Houston. My first one to attend as an honored patient was the Rock N Roll marathon in San Diego. I was hooked after that. If I would've stuck with that program, I would've probably never even gotten the band. I've been on so many diets that I know there is no miracle cure. Even with the band you have to watch what you eat and how you eat etc. I'm so proud of you though and you really give me inspiration. I will say that I, too, jump on that scale every day. I was 190 when I went into the hospital severly dehydrated and within the first three days added almost 10 pounds but it's almost all gone now, I know it was the anesthesia, saline etc. Let's keep in touch and let me how how you did on the marathon. Where was it and what group did you join? Congrats!

Sharyl

Thanks for the quick response Hala. You are running your marathon today and I'm thinking about you. I have actually done 2 half marathons with the LLS (leukemia, lymphoma society) and it was a blast. Bermuda and Houston. My first one to attend as an honored patient was the Rock N Roll marathon in San Diego. I was hooked after that. If I would've stuck with that program, I would've probably never even gotten the band. I've been on so many diets that I know there is no miracle cure. Even with the band you have to watch what you eat and how you eat etc. I'm so proud of you though and you really give me inspiration. I will say that I, too, jump on that scale every day. I was 190 when I went into the hospital severly dehydrated and within the first three days added almost 10 pounds but it's almost all gone now, I know it was the anesthesia, saline etc. Let's keep in touch and let me how how you did on the marathon. Where was it and what group did you join? Congrats!

Sharyl

Hi Sharyl,

That is so wonderful that you have done 2 half marathons! May I ask what made you stop running? I would figure that once you catch the running bug you are hooked for life :-)

I am glad that I inspire you. It makes me feel really good if I could just reach out to one person and make a difference! I totally agree, let us stay in touch and keep each other motivated. And honestly girile, 190 lbs is not that bad, just some small adjustments and you will be at your goal weight in no time :-)

It is so funny that you got your start at the SD Rock and Roll!!!!! That is the race I just ran!!!!! :-)

I did okay, I did not hit my goal time (a little sub 5 hrs) :P But I did not do too bad for my first one. I finished at 5 hrs and 10 mins.... Oh well, Next time I'll do better ...

It was one of the best experiences of my life! Had a great time.

Good luck to you and stay in touch :-)

Hala

I can honestly say that reading your posts may have saved my life. I found out this morning that I have to have my band removed on Friday and my insurance will not pay for a conversion to gastric bypass. Since getting the news I have been severely depressed, hopeless and feel like a complete failure. I left work because I couldn't stop crying - well, sobbing really. I don't mean to scare anyone - I would have gotten help but I started thinking about suicide just for a second because I do not want to live as the huge person I was when I got my band. I am feeling better now and you have all given me a new outlook, perspective and I feel rather hopeful. I have also been sitting and journaling while being home from work.

I haven't been able to eat well for months so I may go to WW to help me get into the swing or normal eating and portions for a person without a band. I also haven't been able to sleep laying down for several months (I sleep sitting straight up in a chair with one of those airplane pillows) so I think I will be able to think more clearly when the band is out and I can get some quality rest.

My doctor, psychologist, nutritionist, etc. have all told me that this is NOT my fault, it is just a rare side effect but I am still feeling like a failure and am very scared.

I am glad I read your posts, thank you for your positive outlooks.

Jennifer

Jenslapband,

You are not alone out there and I can definitely understand your depression about this. And possibly your lack of sleep is adding to that like you thought. I haven't had any physical problems so far but still not losing as one would like to on the band. My mother in law was here a few weeks ago and I was waiting for some remark about how I hadn't lost any weight. Well it never came, and she flew back south where she belongs.

Then my daughter had gastric bypass surgery last Tuesday and is home and recovering very well and my mother in law watched some program on the surgeries and finally called my husband to ask, why can't she lose weight on the band? I was like "YES"!!! I knew it was killing her! I don't know why I cared and anguished over it for so long just waiting for her to say something.

Anyway I hope you feel better soon and get your life back to normal. I don't know if removals and revisions are normally done in one step or done separately. But whatever happens I wish you health and happiness again because you deserve it no matter what!:(

I lost my band 2-13-08 due to erosion. :(

I had lost 94 pounds with my lap-band, but I'm still about 25 pounds to my goal weight. I gained 6 pounds right away after the lap-band was removed, but with a lot of hard work have managed to lose it again. Now two months later, I'm at the same weight I was at when I went into the hospital with complications.

What is everyone's plan for keeping the weight off?

I'm working out 5-6 days a week and watching what I eat. I'm also meeting with my dietician regularly and that is helping keep me motivated. It's just now been eight weeks since my surgery, so I don't have an excuse for not weight training anymore. I'm going to make an appointment to see a personal trainer and get that started soon.

Please help me to understand what erosion is,,,,I have not been banded yet. and the sound of that scares me,,,,,,can it be prevented?