Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the weight off after lap-band removal support thread

Headhunter,

Hope all went well with your surgery today and wish you a speedy recovery, oh and I'm still a band failure! brandyII.

Edited by brandyII

Hi all

would you beleive I have just spent another week in hospital this time I had a perferated ulcer caused by the removal of the band, apparently where the staple line is.

First I knew about it was when I literally started throwing blood up, loads of it. Ended up in resus at my local hospital and then transferred to another. Very scarey.

Surely nothing else can go wrong !!

Headhunter I wish you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

Gaynor

gaynor,

sorry to hear more comps from the band hope you're doing well but have to ask "why do you have a staple line?" after the removal of the band, thanks brandyII.

I guess I should put in my two cents worth on this subject. I hand the band for 2 yrs...Had 1 slip had it fixed. Second slip and the Dr. removed the band.. NOW AFTER 3 months out.. I am EATING very carefully, and going to a BOXING gym 6 days a week.. I have maintained my weight loss so far for the past 3 months.. I CAN DO this AND I PLAN on keeping the weight off and watching what I put in my mouth. I am grateful for you guys talking about this subject matter.

I was really depressed when I had the band was removed, but I am pass it now.and I am a much happier camper..

BUt my butt at the gym and Be careful ofwhat I stick in my mouth

Thanks all for being here

hi there, how did you know that your band had become stangulated, was there pain? i had my band put in last oct, and i have only lost about 30 pounds, no weight loss the last 4 months at all.

Hi All

Brandy you asked why i had a staple line. Its because part of my stomach had died and had to be removed, due to my band slipping.

heidi

Thanks Heidi,

Didn't know all your details and thought it was something to do with the initial surgery. Now I remember your previous post about your band complications and all this time I thought you were a boy because of your avatar name! Sorry about all the probs you're having now and hope you feel better soon, Nancy

Hi everyone.. I haven't logged into this site in ages... Today would have been my 1 year of having my band. At six months I had to have emerg surgery and have my band removed.. I had a slippage and it had to come out. I am probably one of the very few people that is so glad the band is gone. From day 1 it seems like I had problems. Each time I'd get a fill, my body would not accept it and the fill would have to be let out completely and I'd have to go on liquids to correct the "minor" slippage it caused. Each time I'd get a fill so we could "try" it again they'd put less and less. Out of the six months I had my band (my band was removed Nov. 9th) I was on liquids 80% of the time. I was miserable during all of this.

Two weeks after my band was removed I re-joined Weight Watchers.. so now I'm a points counter again. Since the band was removed I've lost 25lbs.. not it's not coming off fast but I don't want it to.. I have made a promise to myself that I will keep my weight off. I was very successful with WW in the past and why I didn't just stick with it.. who knows.

To all of you that are having problems with and struggling with keeping or taking your weight off. Just remember to take one day one meal at a time. We ALL have our ups and downs!!

My total weight loss is mostly from WW... I lost 48lbs with the band in 6 months. When I decided to get the band, I was thinking that life would be a little eaiser but boy was I wrong.. regardless of how you chose to lose weight it's ALL hard. No matter what you have to just be patient with your self and each day!

Edited by cfred

It's been 3 months since my band was removed.. I am making little changes to my diet to keep the weight off.. I had mine for 2 yrs.

BUT I did join a BOXING GYM.. A big change for me to do, but I found out I like kick boxing and it keeps me going 5x a wk. I am learning how to box.. and take care of me.

I am also slowly learning how to eat healthier and to really really watch what I eat.. IF I feel I can't do it on my own.,then WEIGHT WATCHERS here I come.. IT is a good program and I have done it before but always quit.. SO I am very glad all of you are here to talk to..

Happy MOthers Day

Diane iN Ca:tt2::welldoneclap:

Hi everyone.. I haven't logged into this site in ages... Today would have been my 1 year of having my band. At six months I had to have emerg surgery and have my band removed.. I had a slippage and it had to come out. I am probably one of the very few people that is so glad the band is gone. From day 1 it seems like I had problems. Each time I'd get a fill, my body would not accept it and the fill would have to be let out completely and I'd have to go on liquids to correct the "minor" slippage it caused. Each time I'd get a fill so we could "try" it again they'd put less and less. Out of the six months I had my band (my band was removed Nov. 9th) I was on liquids 80% of the time. I was miserable during all of this.

Two weeks after my band was removed I re-joined Weight Watchers.. so now I'm a points counter again. Since the band was removed I've lost 25lbs.. not it's not coming off fast but I don't want it to.. I have made a promise to myself that I will keep my weight off. I was very successful with WW in the past and why I didn't just stick with it.. who knows.

To all of you that are having problems with and struggling with keeping or taking your weight off. Just remember to take one day one meal at a time. We ALL have our ups and downs!!

My total weight loss is mostly from WW... I lost 48lbs with the band in 6 months. When I decided to get the band, I was thinking that life would be a little eaiser but boy was I wrong.. regardless of how you chose to lose weight it's ALL hard. No matter what you have to just be patient with your self and each day!

Sorry you had such problems with the band but thankful you shared your story. It seems like it's so much easier for some than others and we just can't get it right. I struggled sticking with WW prior to being banded and thought banding would help me stick to something similar to lose weight and so far it's been just as big a struggle prior to now. Physically I don't have any slippages, that I'm aware of, or other problems but just getting to the right spot as they say. I'm glad you've found a way to succeed anyway with the band and good luck to you, brandyII:smile:

It's been 3 months since my band was removed.. I am making little changes to my diet to keep the weight off.. I had mine for 2 yrs.

BUT I did join a BOXING GYM.. A big change for me to do, but I found out I like kick boxing and it keeps me going 5x a wk. I am learning how to box.. and take care of me.

I am also slowly learning how to eat healthier and to really really watch what I eat.. IF I feel I can't do it on my own.,then WEIGHT WATCHERS here I come.. IT is a good program and I have done it before but always quit.. SO I am very glad all of you are here to talk to..

Happy MOthers Day

Diane iN Ca:tt2::welldoneclap:

I'm glad you've found what seems to be working for you, I know how hard it is on people when they get it removed, hard on people if they don't! Wish there was something easier but I'll keep on wishing!

Happy Mothers Day to you too, brandyII:smile:

A quick note;

First, thanks for all the good wishes.

My sugery went well. I'm still in the hospital, but shoudl be able to go home later today. This was the first time I felt like getting the computer out!

They did have to cut me all the way open. So, I feel awful, and I think this may be a long recovery....

Once I get home and settled, I'll check in with ya!