Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the weight off after lap-band removal support thread

My lower stomach got strangulated in the lap band so I had to have it removed in emergency surgery on February 28, 3 weeks shy of my one year anniversary.

I have cried and mourned that Lap Band. I lost 68 lbs with about 35 more to go.

So I have now gained 12 lbs back. I am constantly beating myself up over it.

Janine,

I couldn't help but notice you haven't posted since this post. How are you doing now?

I understand what you are saying about mourning the loss of the band. I have gone through that, too. I think it's normal, and I think it's OK..... as long as you give yourself a reasonable amount of time to mourn and then get back up and move on. You, and I-- and all of us-- have gone through too much to let this fail us. Look-- I don't think that there are many of us that go through this process thinking it's short term. We make a commitment to our band and we do our part. If it fails us, we feel cheated, and rightfully so. But in the end, we have to realize there are some things we have control over and some things we don't. The only thing we have control over at this point is how we handle the outcome of losing our bands.

The 12 pound weight gain is not what you wanted, but is to be expected. Just don't let the 12 pounds continue to multiply. You are adjusting your eating patterns once again. You CAN do this and we will be right here with you!!!

(((hugs)))

Thought I'd take a peek in this thread as I have no insurance and went into this knowing that if I had any complications I'd get the band removed. I can get that done for free at the VA. But I cannot afford revison surgery or anything else.

Just started having pain around my port area and have posted inquiring if anyone else has it and what it may be.

Gaining the weight back is a concern for me if I have to end up getting my band removed. Seems many gain 5/10/15 pounds soon after but can get a handle on it.

Thanks for the thread and everyone's posts.

GraceUtah,

If you are having any type of pain, please have it looked at. We can all speculate as to what it might be, but there is no need. Don't take a chance. Please keep us updated.

One day at a time-- Yup! That's my new motto!

Here's my update: I went to the doc yesterday for my weekly weigh-in and I'm down 0.9 lb. OK, not great but it's going in the right direction so I'm happy about that. Overall, I'm 3 pounds LESS than when I had my band out in February.

My spirits have been much better the past few weeks. I really did mourn the loss of my lapband, but I'm moving past it and getting to the celebratory phase. I am very pleased for what the lapband did for me during the time I had it. I am down 94 pounds, and that certainly will make it easier for me this time around. I know this: I've gone through too much to let it fail me, that's for sure.

Take care everyone and I look forward to reading your updates!

We can do this!

Hi All

I had my 4 week post op check yesterday and the consultant said he is dealing with more and more band problems although he said mine is the worst he has ever seen. he actually said the outcome could have been completely different if I had been left any longer. I was also mentioned at a conference because it was such an unusual case.

Anyhow my weight still seems to be ok, I am trying so hard, I've even started walking again and gradually increasing the distance.

Got to remain positive, It is scarey though !!

gaynor

Hi Gaynor, Elaine & all,

When I wrote last time I was in a huge hurry. Elaine thanks for the hugs and the words of encouragement. I am like 15 lbs heavier now, and I am terrified.

Gaynor I had the exact same thing happen as you. Dam I felt like I was having a heart attack. Gaynor your was so much worse then mine, I am glad you are on the way to recovery.

So my story, on a Saturday night in February, 11 months out, after having the band put on, my hubby brought home KFC, a little piece of chicken got stuck. I Pb'd all night trying to get it up. Then I got into just a retching thing I couldn't stop.

I went to sleep but the next morning I went to the Er because Water was hard to hold down and I was in pain. They gave me a shot of demerol and sent me on my way, I slept all Sunday. huge mistake! Monday morning I got up and could not swallow my saliva. Went to the er in severe pain (heart attack feeling???). My doc came in did a complete unfill still no relief, did a barium swallow and I was completely closed. I had emergency surgery my lower stomach had protruded up through my lapband and was cutting off circulation to my stomach. My stomach was gray and being strangled. They cut off the lapband and the blood came back.

On a positive note the doctor said that when he placed the lapband on my liver, stomach and heart was surrounded by fat, but when he took it off there was virtually no fat.

So where am I now?

I am fighting to get my band put back on. I am not sure I can get it done, but I kinda feel like I am grandfathered in. I am 5'4" and weigh 220 right now! My BMI is 35, I have sleep apnea, so I guess will see.

I went through heck but I am so unhappy with my lack of self control.

Somebody explained that the outer rim wall of your stomach has nerves that are connected to your brain that tells you to stop eating. In the average person with a small stomach this works well. in a severely obese person it take a long time to tell you to stop if at all. When you have on the band since your filling that top pouch the food hits the outer wall very quick and you can't take that last bite.

I swear I have no wall at all.

So all the people that this works for why could'nt we been them?

Hi Janine

sorry to hear you have had such a rough time.

I cant beleive it was a piece of KFC that caused your problems. Me too.

My son left a hot wing and i just had a little bite, which caused me all sorts of problems.

We are all here for you, if you need support.

Hope you are feeling more positive.

Gaynor

I would say many have had success with the band, but to say that it has come easily is wrong, in my opinion.

Please note that I said that "there are those" who have had success and it has come easily.

This means that SOME people have had easy success. Not all, but some. For others, it has been a miserable experience. I would fit into that category. Mine was a resounding failure. :wink2:

I'll be having my pre-op appt with the surgeon for my band removal and corrective surgery (all sorts of stuff went wrong with my band...) today.

My band has not functioned at all for several years, so I have essentially been without one, which is fine.

My surgery is going to be next Tuesday, 5/6.

This will be an interesting meeting with the surgeon, now that we have all the scans and colonscopy stuff back.

I'll keep you all posted, I hope you are all doing well. I have not been on the forum for about a week.

Thanks for your input.. I had a bad slip x2 and had to have the band removed.. NOw it is slow eating,, wise eating, and going to the GYM 6x a week

Thanks for your input.. I had a bad slip x2 and had to have the band removed.. NOw it is slow eating,, wise eating, and going to the GYM 6x a week

.......which is EXACTLY what you need to be doing! You don't NEED the band anymore. It was a tool while you had it, but now you need to rely on YOURSELF. And I GUARANTEE that you have the power within to be able to move yourself to a place in your life where you don't NEED the band at all. It's all about what you described, my friend; slow eating, wise eating, and time at the Gym. I think that eventually, you will come to learn exactly what I did: You never really needed the band! Some of us needed the band simply to teach us that truth, that we had the power inside all along. Having the band and then losing it can be a powerful lesson in what we can accomplish.

Keep us posted!

HI all, has anyone heard how HeadHunter is or has he had his surgery yet??? I would like to know how much removal cost , if insurance want pay , anyone know? hope everyone with complications are feeling much better!! shirley

Hi, Smiley:

Thanks for asking 'bout me! :frown:

My surgery is scheduled for this next tuesday, so I'm spending this weekend making preparations, because I may be gone for a while. Perhaps as long as 14 days....

I do not know what the whole thing will cost me. I do have insurance, BUT this whole thing has been complicated by all the things that have gone wrong, and it may be classified as a "pre-existing condition", which means I will be in big debt for many years. This is more than just just a removal, because of the additional problems. I am detecting a "hint" from the surgeon that they MAY cover the cost, because he wants to do an extensive paper on my situation for a Medical Journal. He reiterated that what happened to me has not happened to anyone, to his knowledge.

So, I really don't have an answer for you regarding the cost of removal. Just speculating, I would think that it may be in the same range as what it cost to have it put in, MINUS the cost of the actual Lap Band. I would think that it would cost maybe a little less to take it out than put it in, although the same medical infrastructure would have to be in place.

I don't know....anyone else out there that has had your band removed want to comment on the cost?

Hi, Smiley:

Thanks for asking 'bout me! :wink2:

My surgery is scheduled for this next tuesday, so I'm spending this weekend making preparations, because I may be gone for a while. Perhaps as long as 14 days....

I do not know what the whole thing will cost me. I do have insurance, BUT this whole thing has been complicated by all the things that have gone wrong, and it may be classified as a "pre-existing condition", which means I will be in big debt for many years. This is more than just just a removal, because of the additional problems. I am detecting a "hint" from the surgeon that they MAY cover the cost, because he wants to do an extensive paper on my situation for a Medical Journal. He reiterated that what happened to me has not happened to anyone, to his knowledge.

So, I really don't have an answer for you regarding the cost of removal. Just speculating, I would think that it may be in the same range as what it cost to have it put in, MINUS the cost of the actual Lap Band. I would think that it would cost maybe a little less to take it out than put it in, although the same medical infrastructure would have to be in place.

I don't know....anyone else out there that has had your band removed want to comment on the cost?

HeadHunter, Thanks for the info. My thoughts and prayers are with you, keep us informed as we will be waiting to hear from you , BEST WISHES !! shirley

Thank you so much for the good wishes, Shirely!

It's tomorrow morning, and I am getting a bit nervous. The surgeon told me that it is unlikely that he will be able to do the whole thing laproscopically, and he will most likely have to "open me up". So, I'm not happy about that, But I do think I have one of the best surgeons in the country for this kind of thing. It was an interesting series of events that led me to him, so I think this was one of those "meant to be" things.

I'm all nicely "wired up" with a new laptop and Wireless Broadband, so I may be able to post something within a day or two after the surgery.

Actually, this was huge excuse for me to go out and buy whole bunch of new tech goodies so I can stay connected with my business while i am out. One of the bad parts is that the Hospital this is being done at is about 40 miles from where I live, so I won't be getting too many visitors. But, that's ok....I'm bringing plenty of DVD's and audiobooks, and I have a bunch of James Bond movies on my Hard drive! :thumbup: