Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the weight off after lap-band removal support thread

Privatedancer,

Mine was removed last October and I ended up going in for an endoscopy which I scheduled on my own and not related to my gastro surgeon. I was put in the hospital because of my chest pains that they said were related to my reflux which I never had prior to banding. I do experience some of the "spasms" I guess that's what they are where I don't swallow as easily anymore but definitely not to the extent you're having. Mine is so mild I never even brought it up to anyone, just a weird thing I notice from time to time. I know it can be a common problem but since having the band removed I take all my gastro/esophagus issues to other doctors and surgeons who are not related to WLS. I have a feeling they'd be more interested in covering their butts than taking care of my medical issues. Good luck, Nancy.

I just had my lap band removed after 100lb weight loss!! I was at my goal weight and am scared to go back! My band slipped. Please tell me there is success after band slip. I miss the fullness feeling

Hi All,

I have had the lap band for two years now and now my insurance doesn't cover any revision surgery. I have a slip and need surgery, but since my insurance isn't going to help then I'll have to fork out $14,000.00! :-( so now that no matter what I need the surgery I'm debating on getting it removed or not. If I were to get the revision surgery it doesn't guarantee that I won't get another slip, but if I remove it, I'm worried that I'll gain all my weight back and that terrifies me. Do you think that if I act as if I have the band and eat right and exercise that I'll be okay? I need help with this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi everyone! I've had my lapband since Nov. 2010. The first year and half was great! I was 30 lbs from goal......then stuff started happening with not being able to get stuff down and now I can hardly get applesauce down. They had me do a swallow imaging test and they said everything looked fine. But there must be something they can't see so it's coming out in 3 weeks! I'm so excited to get it out. I've now gained back all my weight from before the surgery and my body has gone into survival mode...I'm getting fatter! The only things I can get down with some calories is bad calories! I can't wait! I will keep you all posted! I'm just wondering how soon can you eat normal after removal?

Hi all. I haven’t been on here in forever. I developed severe complications after having my lap band for nearly 8 years. I had it removed 2 weeks ago yesterday and am already up 16.2 pounds since removal. I was 138 the morning of surgery and now am sitting at 155. I feel completely lost and discouraged because I have eaten small portions of quality foods since removal and it seems to not be getting better. Anyone been where I am and have any positive advice? I really need friends right now because I don’t have anyone that understands what I’m going through.

Edited by sbrick

Hi all!

I still have my band but have had it for many many years and find it isn’t hugely effective anymore. It has however been a good time for me to learn to manage my food. The weight has crept on and then I’ve lost it and now going up again. I’ve tried many different diets, gyms, supplements you name it and I can’t seem to budge the 5-10kg that I I want to get back down to the weight I was. Does anyone have any diets or eating guides they use that they swear by?

I am going to have my lap-band removed due to severe gastritis and I'm afraid. No surgery date for removal scheduled yet. They have let all of the Fluid out and I have gained back 25 pounds. I need to get back on track and really watch portion sizes.

I know exercise has been hard for me but I've started doing exercise DVDs at home - particularly, ChairDancingFitness.com (I provided a hotlink if you want to view the workout samples) DVDs. I like Jodi Stolove's approach and I do most of the exercises standing but it does help to do some seated and I only need to give up 25 minutes of my time. I downloaded some of her videos from Amazon.com and so I have them on my phone or computer when I need them. I needed something to get me started until I could get motivated. :)

Edited by HeyMissMay

Sophrosyne, I agree with your method of eating. That is the only way I can lose weight. Fortunately, there are many recipes available online for low carb. I use several of the Atkins diet sauces to 'grease the meat' so it goes through the band properly. And the vegetable recipes are great. Of course, my favorites are the sweets. I make a wonderful ice cream with my vitamix. I take a cup of liquid (usually milk or cream, but sometimes yogurt) add a scoop of Protein Powder and sometimes an ounce of DaVinci sugar free Syrup. Then I add a few cups of ice and blend. If you don't have a powerful blender, use less ice and have a milkshake. That recipe has saved me through many a problem with the band, but I used to make them before the band. My child loved drinking these for Breakfast. A milkshake with the Protein of a steak.