Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study Tomorrow night!!

I am having my sleep study tomorrow night and for some reason am super nervous. I am a night owl and usually do not go to sleep until way after midnight. I was just reading the paperwok and it says they usually turn the lights out at 10. I need some wind down time, I don't even arrive there until 9 seems like I will be up all night. Does anyone have any suggestions or stories about their sleep studies. Thanks guys and as usual because of this site I know more about lapand than most medical professionals LOL! Tamara

Another question I am to have the upper endoscopy next week and was wondering what that entails? Do you get put to sleep and should I have a driver. Sorry sooo many questions. Thanks Tamara

I'm the same way, I'm usually up until past 2. I arrive at 10 to the sleep study on the 17th, I'm not sure when they'll expect me to go to sleep, although the day I have my sleep study I have school 11-3 an hour away, I drive straight to the doctors to get my letter of medical necessity from my PCP, then I drive straight to work where I am a waitress and contantly running around. I have to leave work early and drive straight to the hospital which is an hour from my town where I work and live. So hopefully I'm so beat from running around all day I just pass out. good luck with everything!! Let me know if you hear any good ideas to keep us occupied if we can't sleep or help us actually GET to sleep lol

Allison

Edited by Allison

Please let me know how it goes. I am waiting for a call to schedule my sleep study. I hate to sleep any place but my bed at home I am not sure how I am going to fall asleep.

I wish you best :sad_smile:

I had my sleep study on 3/11. There wasn't a set lights off time for mine. They allowed me to bring a book and read until I felt sleepy. I also brought my own pillow.

I was so nervous that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep-but I did. Not the best night's sleep I ever had.

The staff at the clinic I went to was really great. Overall it was a good experience.

I have had two sleep studies done and let me tell you, it sucks.. You will have crap attached to every orifice of your body. Stuff glued on your head. Stuff glued on your face. Straps across your boobs and waist. STuff glued onto your legs. They put tape across my jugular and throat with a microphone in there to hear my snoring.. everytime my heart beat the tape would move and pull on my neck... And then finally a nice little thing that stays attached to a pointer finger.

You are then told to go to sleep like this. Out of both of my sleep studies I slept for approximately 30 minutes both nights. When I had to go potty she had to come and unhook me and I had to wheel this medicine thing with me that all these cords hung on. It's the most uncomfortable thing I've ever had to do. With all that being said.. I have known people who actually slept. LOL.

I brought a movie and watched it and read a book.

One word of advice, when you come home, shower. That glue crap will be all in your hair.

You might want to call the office of the MD who's doing the study--some give the patient a sleeping pill if the patient is concerned that they can't sleep. Also if you explain to them that you are a night owl, they may let you start the study later in the evening--I work nights, so they let me do my sleep study during the day.

It's much like what CoolCrystal posted in the way that they hook all of these wires up to you to monitor how you are sleeping. My center even had a monitor in the ceiling so they could monitor movement and a microphone so you could talk to them and they could talk to you and also listen to your snoring. After a certain period of time of sleep they will come in and place you up to a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine which is really hard to adjust to so they can see if you sleep better with it.

To help you with sleeping, you should avoid caffeine on the day of the study. Wear comfy jammies and don't drink a lot before you get there because it's a pain to get up and go pee with all of the stuff attached to you. They should ask you if you are awake and feel alert enough to drive home. You will be tired afterwards because it's much like being in the hospital when you are woke up throughout the night. You definately want to go home and take a shower to get all of the glue out of your hair and off of your skin.

I didn't have fun with my sleep study. I hated all the wires. I tossed around all night and my legs were super twitchy. I really irritated the poor people trying to administer the test. First I couldn't sleep, then my legs were all weird, then they had to try three different CPAP masks on me. I know I totally screwed up this poor woman's evening of reading her romance novel. They all earned their fee that night!

I had my sleep study back in July and I would say lights out were by 11 - by the time they hook up all the wires, it will take a bit of time and I too, arrived around 9 pm. This is so not to scare you but ugh - what a bitch it was to have all those wires hooked up to your body and then they actually think you'll sleep - well you do, but not well (or at least not me).

I also had to have the next day a sleep latency test, which consists of 4 naps within an 8 hour day - the entire thing was not fun, but necessary - especially if you are looking to get LBS - this will help when it comes to insurance, etc.

After the SLT, about a month later I went for a cpap overnight - where they put the mask on for you - let me tell you - it was horrible. I decided against the mask since it was the worst sleep I ever got. I know I sound so negative and truly don't mean to - I just want to best inform you of what to expect...

Good luck and if you have any questions - ask away.

between coolcrystal, long2bfree and my post... we've pretty much covers all bases!

bottom line - it BLOWS!

Well I am all done with the sleep study and I have to say I hyped it up to be much worse than it is. I arrived at 9pm and by 9:30 I had ALL and I do mean all the wires attached! You have two bands around you one around your chest and one around your waist and they are kinda snug. You have glue and probes attched to your head 4 on your face and cheeks and two on each leg. There is something attached to your throat and this irritating thing that hooks inside your nose and goes down to your mouth to monitor oxygen flow. I did not have to have a CPAP machine. After you are hooked up you cannont get out of bed. They have to unhook you to go to the bathroom. Avoid that if you can. You have a call button like at the hospital. I watched the Miss USA pageant until around 11 and then called the tech went to the bathroom and they turned out the lights and shut the door. It was super dark and cool. I layed there mabye 15 minutes and kept chanting go to sleep you don't want to have to do this again. The next thing I know it was 4a m and they were waking me up taking off the wires, and making sure I was awake enough to drive home. They only need 6 hours of data which can include awake and asleep time so I told them as soon as they had enough wake me up and they did. They did not tell me the results but hopefully all is well and I will find out early next week. The techs there were awesome and they made it an ok experience considering what it is. To all of you going it is not as bad as you think. I swore I would not sleep, but I did. Good luck all! Tamara