Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't believe it's almost here. I'm scheduled to be banded on the 15th at 7:30 in the morning. I'm starting to get worried. I can't help but to wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Anyone else ever have second thoughts before their surgery?

That is the question of the ages!!! I am going through the exact same thing...I was supposed to have my surgery back in January (21st) and prayed and pondered if this is not the right thing for me, give me a sign...My surgery was scheduled for a Monday. Saturday I was doing my "last minute cleaning" and ended up getting a scratch on my eye from the Carpet Cleaner solution (got a patch on my eye and everything--It was lovely!!) and on Sunday Morning my surgeon (himself) called me from his cell phone to tell me he was stuck out of town and would need to reschedule... Was that a sign??? I took a month to really re-think my whole reason of WHY I wanted to have the surgery and why I had gained all this weight to begin with... I talked to everyone I know and people I don't know about what their opinion was, etc...and finally came to the conclusion that this was something I needed to really do, because I felt like I needed a tool to help me to do it...Rescheduled my surgery for March 21st...Spring break here...My boss wanted to be off that week and told me he would rather me wait until after that... I only work 4 days a week so on Friday I was set for surgery... The Saturday before my surgery, my 2 yr old started running a high fever, ended up having a seizure...had a small cough and runny nose. The Wednesday before my surgery, I get the FLU!!! So it was cancelled again... Is this also a sign? Should I try again? Should I try the "after surgery" diet for several months? I have no clue what to do...Would you try the after surgery diet before? My only concern is that I won't lose a significant amount of weight and then have the surgery and be tired of the diet...;)

I can't really answer that question for you...I can just let you know that you are NOT the only one going through it...Sorry...

Hey Dan,

I get banded next Thursday. I had a lot of reservations at first but my Dr. and staff have been so thorough that I really feel good. The only thing I'm really scared of now is the anesthesia. But I just keep thinking about the quality of my life and the pain I'm experiencing right now. The hope of some relief makes the risks seem smaller to me.

The only advice I would dare give anyone is to make sure your reservations aren't from not having enough information from your surgeon (or from not having a good feeling about him/her). Don't hesitate to bug them to death if you need more info!

I hope you have wonderful success and enjoy your new life!

Jeannie

I think it's completely normal to question and wonder if we're doing the right thing. I have my surgery in 6 days, but I'm completely ready. I know I need this tool to lead a healthier, more active, life. If I could do this on my own, I would have already. I just wish today was the surgery day! I want to do this, I need to do this, for me, for my husband, and mostly, for my kids. I want them to have a healthy mom around and I'm toally convinced this is the answer for me. I didn't have peace with my decision until about 2 months ago. You will get there. I wish you success in your surgery!;)

I couldn't believe I actually went through with it. I cried big time the day of my surgery for a variety of reasons ie. how did I get here, how can I be so big, etc. These are natural emotions. You will love your band. Just give it some time. Good luck on the 15th!

I also will be banded on 4/15, Tax day will never have the same meaning for me again. I know I'm doing the right thing. Just starving to death on this pre-op diet!!! Hopefully the next 5 days fly by for us!

I've thought about it over and over, but you know what keeps me going, is when I think about everything that I can't do. I think of how my life is now, and how I'm unhappy. I think of how I feel when I feel uncomfortable going out with friends because I feel like I'm not "good enough" to be with them because I'm so big and they're so skinny. And than, I think of how I felt when I finally went to Disney World last year (a dream come true), only to have that dream crushed because I was too scared to go on any of the rides because I worried about the seat belt not fitting. That's no way to live, so I need this tool. I need it to help me get my life back.

Hi, My suggestion is to write yourself a letter, tell yourself all the reasons you are doing this, sign the letter "Love" then read it when, if, the doubts hit you.........

I agree that it is normal to question if this is the right thing. But, from my personal experience I have had the surgery right there in the palm of my hand and now...it's all very unsure, and I have never wanted it more. So, for me to have had such a strong reaction to maybe not being able to have it, I know that it's the right thing for me. I hope that you get some peace about it. Good luck!!

I am also getting banded on April 15th at 9 a.m. at Buffalo General Hospital. I also had different thoughts running in my head but I just think of my children and family. Good luck on the 15th! Let me know how you are doing.

Chilly

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled on April 16th and I'm having mixed emotion too!! I know I have 6 days left... and I'm counting down every minute. The worst part is that i feel my emotions are taking over me.... I feel happy and strong one minute, then scared and weak the next!! I'm normally a strong individual, and I'm turnin into a WHIMP!!! lol I cant even understand why I keep flipin back and forth with these feelings. I think from reading everyones message, it looks like this is a common thing... I just don't know how to control this flip flopin... How do you stay positive, and stable in your decision???