Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont know what to do or what is wrong...

I had my surgery 12/19/07 and have lost almost 40 lbs. I had my first fill in Feb. they only filled it with 1/2 cc and I did not lose any weight. i just had my second fill yesterday and was filled with 4 cc's. I have good restriction now. My thing is, I have not been following the diet. I have not been doing my Protein Shakes and have pretty much been eating whatever I want. I don't know why. I know in my mind I shouldnt be doing this. My first fill I was able to still eat pretty much like normal. But now I am not. I have thrown up twice now since yesterday from overeating. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. How do I stop this behavior? I am almost regretting having the surgery. Has anyone else gone through this?:thumbup:

Sounds like it is time to take your band seriously. Either you are going to have to settle into eating like a bandster, or make arrangements to have your fill removed, until you are ready to make the commitment. To eat and constantly throw up or PB from improper foods or eating habits, can cause you serious problems.

If it is possible, go talk to someone, find out what your food triggers are, and deal with that before getting yourself so tight that eating is not an option.

If you feel you are ready to kick it into gear, then get logged onto some site like Fitday, or somewhere you can log your food intake, be ready to log in here, and ask for support.

We will be more than helpful!!! Sometimes we don't always say what people WANT to hear, but tough love is not easy!

I think many of us go through times of regret early on---missing our old way of eating. Sounds like you just got there. I think the weight dropping will be excellent incentive. In the meantime go over and look through the Before and After pics, and decide if you want to post yours there in a few months---it IS worth it in my opinion, but only you can decide if you are tired of carrying the extra weight around with you.....

I hope you decide to work your band!!!

Welcome to LBT----home to lots and lots of support if you so desire.

Kat

Once a doctor told me to think of dieting in this manner:

imagine you are your own child (and you are in the sense that you are in your own care). When you have to make a food decision, ask yourself this question, "Would I give this food to my child if it was not in her best interest?" If the answer is no, then don't eat it. Don't think of it as depriving yourself, but as taking care of yourself.

Try to remove the emotion from it.

It is a sort of logic I used to get me through the liquid diet phase, which I didn't find very difficult, actually.

Re the flaming golf ball from hell: I think he's referring to getting something stuck that doesn't want to dislodge easily. It hurts like.. uh... heck. :rolleyes:

How do I stop this behavior?

I say stop and look at things logically. First be sure your last fill did not make you a little too tight and good food is harder to get down, so you are resorting to softer food, that doesn;t fill you long enough.

Perhaps, this last fill is just right, but your eyes/head are not used to the new small amount your body needs now ( hence the vomiting).

Start with a smaller plate ( if you aren't already) and take a small portion (4 oz or less) of chicken or whatever you are eating. Weigh that portion so you know that it is 4 oz or less and add a small amount of a veggie. Sit at the kitchen table (not in front of TV) and take SMALL bites and CHEW well. Are you eating slowly?

Stop if you feel full before finishing the portion. If you are able to finish the portion of meat, then eat the veggies. If you ate all on your plate, STOP you are done for now, no matter if you are still hungry or not. Wait one hour before drinking and during that hour ask yourself how satisfied and comfortable you are.

After one hour drink something. You have to let your brain/head/eyes get used to the new portion size. Our eyes tell our brains that the amount we see in front of us could not possibly be enough, so we listen and shove more food in (that's why the smaller plate fools our eye,a bit).

Try to do this for one week to help retrain your stomach and your head and learn a new way of eating.

Keep measuring your Protein serving. We are not good at eyeing a portion. After a few weeks take a portion you think is the right size without measuring, then measure it and see how good your guess was. If you are still overestimating then keep trying this until you can get the portion size right. This is a skill you'll need long term.

We are in this for the long haul and the only way we can be successful, is to relearn our eating skills, that somewhere along the line we lost.

Don't get the mind set that you fail at diets and this is another one, it's not. It's a new way of eating and your band is there to help.

You can do this, but you have to put in a little effort to learn the new way of eating, that's what the band is trying to tell you when it sends the food back up.

:rolleyes:

Edited by shortgal

When you say "eating whatever you want", what exactly do you mean. Can you give us a few examples?

I don't do the Protein Shakes either, but I do drink the Isopure Clear (40g of protein) after I have a fill for the first few days to get all my Protein in, otherwise I eat plenty of tuna, fish, and chicken to reach my grams every day. So, I don't think you have to drink those shakes if you don't want to, if you are getting your protein in other ways.

One thing that went down really well when I was pretty restricted was tuna mixed with a little Light Miracle Whip, and put on multigrain crackers. It chews up really nicely into moosh and never got stuck or anything. It gives you a good amount of your protein intake as well. Bumblebee has this lemon pepper tuna that is amazing. I can eat it right out of the can and its very moist and tasty.

I wish you all the best sweetie!

Coolcrystal.

DITTO on the BumbleBee tuna. The lemon pepper is AWESOME!! Here it comes in three flavors. I dind't care much for the basil and sundried Tomato. I thought it was a little salty. There is an oriental flavor as well, that I haven't tried yet. I flipped over the lemon pepper and just keep buying that. You're right. You can eat it right out of the can.

Coolcrystal.

DITTO on the BumbleBee tuna. The lemon pepper is AWESOME!! Here it comes in three flavors. I dind't care much for the basil and sundried Tomato. I thought it was a little salty. There is an oriental flavor as well, that I haven't tried yet. I flipped over the lemon pepper and just keep buying that. You're right. You can eat it right out of the can.

How funny, I'm eating it right now at my desk! LOL. whatever you do, be careful with the asian flavored one if you try it. I got one to try it and then looked at the sugar, carbs, and fat on it and it was like triple what the lemon pepper was. The lemon pepper was very low and good for you and the asian one was .. wow... crazy! Its funny, every time I go to wal mart I clean them out of the lemon pepper one. HA HA. I buy like 8-10 of them!

lillysmom, what you are experiencing is natural. The first thing you need to do is slow down your eating. If you rush your eating you are more likely to PB because you can't feel the full sensation. I would start with that first before anything else. Keep your eye on the prize. The banded life is great but you have to give it time and effort. Good luck.