Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pakistani muslim bandster

I am happy to see other Muslims on this site! I am not banded yet, but I will be right after Ramadan. I never thought about fasting with the band. I"ll have almost a year before I have to worry about that, so PLEASE post about Ramadan and its effects with the band, so I can be prepared for next year. BTW, I am going to Dr Ortiz in Mexico, any thoughts? Anyone else wen to Mexico?

I went to Mexico through Dr. Luis Corvala at Hospital Angeles and had an excellent experience. I have also heard great things about Dr. Ortiz. Good luck to you.

The majority of what we have here for dinner during Ramadan is Soup, (shorba) I was thinking that would just fall right through??? most of it is puree'd. Anyone else? What do you eat during Ramadan?

I eat a lot of soup too. It tastes good and goes down well. We primarily eat a red lentil soup or a yogurt soup with rice/mint/chicken broth inside. I don't eat rice, bread or sweets at all eventhough my family does while fasting. I always have a couple of bites of salad and Protein from the main dish of the evening as well.

The morning meal is more difficult in my household because it is typically centered on various bread based items in the form of homemade bread, pastries, etc. with tea. I will often just have soup from the night before or make a couple of eggs.

What do you typically do for the morning meal?

Hello, This will be my 2nd yr of fasting with the band. The 1st was easy as I didn't have a fill. This yr. I will eat a normal dinner whatever I cook but in smaller portions. In the morning I am going to make Protein Shakes and I also bought some Protein Shots from Wall Mart. I usually didn't wake up in the morning but I know I need as much Protein as I can get.

As Salaamu alikum

Im not banded yet im also muslim i convertedt to islam married to pakistanian man. 2 months left in 6month process

Alhamdullah I am a muslim, have been banded for 6 months from Dr. Ortiz, in pakistan and have been fasting with a 7 cc fill in a 10 cc band, by God's will it has been very easy for me MASHALLAH, i can eat quite normally in sehr and in iftaar i have "pakoras" no dinner till sehr again. I have lost weight in ramadan too. I do excersise during fasting and it is awesome uptil now!

This Ramadan has been rough for me.

The last day in the hospital after the birth of my daughter, I had a bad vomiting episode following pain medication that severely irritated my stomach. Unfortunately my band slipped. I had surgery last Friday to have it removed and replaced.

This is my first completely non-fasting Ramadan due to illness. It makes me sad but I hope next year will be much better.

sorry to hear that Heathero, INSHALLAH it will all be better and next ramadan it will be better, i see you have achieved your goal, do you still have a fill? and getting banded again, was your stomach injured or swollen like it was the first 10 days when you cannot eat/drink anything even without a fill?

Thanks in advance for answering.

I am sorry to hear that too HeatherO. I hope that you will heal quickly. Hang in there. Hows that lil girl of yours doing? I am taking care of a 4 mo old boy who is just the sweetest snuggle bug that laughs up a storm.

Insha'Allah you will be up and running in no time!

{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}

Assalmo alikom Bandster friends!!!!!.

I wish all of you the best of iman and weight loss inshaAllah. I will be having my surgery on October 27th of this year 2009. InshaAllah I am very excited. Hope to share my experiences with you at a later date. Love and duas sister Heather in Nebraska

Assalaamu alaikum everyone,

I am an American Muslim as well Alhamdulillah. I haven't been banded yet but I'm going to make an appt right after I get my tax refund this month inshallah. I'm still trying to decide on my Dr. but so far I think I'm going with Dr. Almanza in Mexico.

I have thought a lot about what it would be like to fast during Ramadhan with the band but I like one of the other sister's idea of getting an unfill just before Ramadhan to help. I'd like to know how that turned out if anyone has tried that. That's deff a perk of the band IMHO, that it can be adjusted to fit with ur life.

My other concern as a Muslimah is how much I will have to bare for the operation.... For any of you who wear hijab, how did you deal with that and were your surgeons accomodating about your privacy and such? My doctors in the US are usually understanding of my modesty concerns but I'm not sure how they view Muslims in Mexico so I'm a little scared that they won't care. I know I can't go into the surgery fully clothed LOL I'm just curious if they let you only uncover as much as is necessary or if I'll be laying in a hallway somewhere waiting for surgery in nothing but a gown :thumbup:

P.S. How many Muslims have to be on this forum for us to get our own section like the Jews, Christians and Latter Day Saints? :ohmy:

Assalaamu alaikum everyone,

I am an American Muslim as well Alhamdulillah. I haven't been banded yet but I'm going to make an appt right after I get my tax refund this month inshallah. I'm still trying to decide on my Dr. but so far I think I'm going with Dr. Almanza in Mexico.

I have thought a lot about what it would be like to fast during Ramadhan with the band but I like one of the other sister's idea of getting an unfill just before Ramadhan to help. I'd like to know how that turned out if anyone has tried that. That's deff a perk of the band IMHO, that it can be adjusted to fit with ur life.

My other concern as a Muslimah is how much I will have to bare for the operation.... For any of you who wear hijab, how did you deal with that and were your surgeons accomodating about your privacy and such? My doctors in the US are usually understanding of my modesty concerns but I'm not sure how they view Muslims in Mexico so I'm a little scared that they won't care. I know I can't go into the surgery fully clothed LOL I'm just curious if they let you only uncover as much as is necessary or if I'll be laying in a hallway somewhere waiting for surgery in nothing but a gown :)

P.S. How many Muslims have to be on this forum for us to get our own section like the Jews, Christians and Latter Day Saints? :lol:

Hello & welcome :0)

I don't think wearing a hijab will be a problem but I have no doubt that you will have to wear a hospital gown. However, they keep you well covered with sheets so that the only people that should see more than you would feel comfortable showing would be the doctors and an occasional nurse. Afterwards you can switch to regular clothing but they will need to see your abdomen from time-to-time.

Ramadan will be no problem unless you are very tightly restricted. Also, it is not so much food that is an issue . . . it is getting enough Water. You may not need an unfill at all if you can get enough Water in during the early evening and early morning.

I hope your surgery goes really well and that you have a speedy recovery InshAllah.

Hi guys! I know it's like a year after this was written and look, it's Ramadhan again!

So I'll be banded this coming saturday, I'm kinda excited.