Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started mushys early and I am fine. Just once a day. I just need a little extra. I decided to because I read other banders starting mushy's after one week. I made a chicken Soup where I pureed all the veggies and broth. It made a nice thick soup that hits the spot. Of course I am only 12 days post op so I am not an expert.

Every surgeon's follow up is different. I would check with your doctor. If you are hungry, they will tell you if you can proceed with Soups or not.

I am six days post op and supposed to be on liquids only for 10 days. Has anyone violated this policy? I would love to have some chili or potato soup...

I started 'real' foods early myself - didn't kill me. Just remember portion size (VERY Important) and chew, chew, chew!

I would never advise someone to go against their surgeon's orders....please call your doctor and talk to them before you do it.

yes I started eating creamed Soups, cottage cheese and yogurt without a problem. and 4 weeks our I am eating rice/ chicken/ tuna I've stayed away from breads, I do eat scrambled eggs too. I get my first fill on the 16th. Good luck to you you'll be just fine

I was banded on 3/4 - I was sent home on full liquids and my list (every list is different it seems) included potato Soup. There is a great, really smooth one very available - Campbell's Velvety Potato in the soup in hand containers. It is made to drink on the go. There are a few small bits of potato and I made sure to mush them further with my tongue.

It definitely made me feel like was eating something. I am hanging on to it for after my first fill. I hear I may need the full liquid and/or mushie stuff then.

The best advice I can give you is to call your surgeon's office. Tell them you are hungry and would like to know if you can add something with a bit more substance. They know you best, they prescribed your diet to you for a specific reason. If they feel you are able to add something more, than they will give you the go ahead. If they feel it is not safe for you to do so at this time, then do as they say.

Just because someone else broke the rules without consequence, does not automatically mean it is ok for you to do so as well. You paid your doctor a lot of money and entrusted he/she to do what is best for you, so please, just call them.

Hey Heather. I was also banded on the 1st. Remember that everyone's docs have their own set of instructions....My doc's diet is Clear Liquids alternating with full liquids the 1st 2 weeks. Yogurt, puddings, and cream Soups are on my approved list and boy am I glad. I'm finding myself hungry and wanting something to chew on!! Just like Susan said, though, call the MD's office in the morning and check with them. It will probably be ok with them since your recovery has been uneventful. Good luck fellow April Fool Gal!

Would it kill you? Highly unlikely.

Could it cause you problems? Possibly---no way to know.

Would I do it? Not without consulting with my Dr.

I know it is hard! I had 2 weeks of clear liquids, before I moved on to 2 weeks of full liquids. I remember it! I remember thinking if I could just sink my teeth into something I might just survive. The best advice I was given (right here at LBT) was when those thoughts took over, go take a walk! Even if it was just around the yard! This time of year, Spring is hitting, there are lots of things to look at, flower beds to work----DO something! Do Anything! Get your mind off of food or the lack of it!

Increase Protein. Give yourself a manicure.

I am not trying to be flip, or holier than thou! I know it is sooooo hard! But until you talk to your Dr. hang in there! You will be proud of yourself for knowing you did the best possible thing you could for your future band health. If he gives you the go ahead, then you KNOW! You will not question every twinge you feel, whether or not you messed something up.

Dr.'s commonly change their own directions, when they find out how you are doing, how you feel, how liquids are going down, how long they hold you for, how the incisions are healing......give them a chance to work with you!!!

Hope you get some good direction from your Dr.

Kat

Edited by Kat817
need to learn to spell my own name!!!!

my doctor was fine with what I ate. As long as I wasn't having anything I had to chew he was okay with it. Soft foods like cottage cheese was ok with him. All doctors have their own script of what they want you to do....and all of those patients lived just fine. Some people leave with a fill right after surgery, some leave with clears for one week then regular food....at two weeks my doctor told me as long as I chew chew chew I could eat almost anything except salads, which I miss desperately. That I can't have until my next visit on 4/16. Good luck...talk to the office and I'm sure you get some direction.

I would never advise you to move on without talking to someone on your team. However, I was advised to talk to the dietician.....she was out for the next 5 days. Then the surgeon wanted to push my follow up back a week and the office was saying one thing. So I added a scrambled egg at dinner time since this was my hardest. It was on my next phase list of foods to eat and I lived to tell abou it. If I could have gotten some cooperation from my "team" I would have talked it over with them first. No one was available and it was frustrating. I feel so much better physically too.

That's all that matters, is your plan, your life......this is a tool not a threat....

good luck

sharon;)

bit of advise - egg drop Soup. i got so satisfied (probably the protein) on this soup for the first 3wks of post op, that the hunger pangs were easily met.

i did move onto solid earlier - but after a meeting w/my dr. i had already healed, the hunger had kicked in - and it was then time for the diet & exercise program to start...

it's NOT easy - don't EVER hesitate to contact your Dr on your progress or concerns, - they are there to help guide you through each stage, till you get to restriction...chin up!!