Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressing Dr appointment

I think it's all about rich insurance companies setting the standards for us to be so overweight before they will pay for it that we have seriously risked our health. Personally, I scraped together $8,000 and have booked an appt. with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico and I fly down there May 7. Why can't someone opt to have this done when they are 60 or 70 lbs overweight? Why weigh a ton and be almost dead to get it. It sure does suck!

You need to discuss with your doctor that this is the path that you have choosen and you have done other diets and failed. You want to begin now to start a healthier life and not postponing it any longer. You can do all this through your surgeon as well. My PCP had nothing to do with my surgery at all. I went to him to get a referral and he didnot recommend surgery either and wanted me to see a nutritionist. I gave him the list of the at least 20 diets I have been on and the weight losses. Obviously, they did not work. He was reluctant and I was persistent so he gave me my referral. The preop dieting and nutritional stuff all came from my surgeon, so you really don't need him - there are ways around it. Pick your surgeon and get a referral if you need one. If he doesn't give you one, contact your insurance company and explain your situation. These doctors do have to remember that they work for us, not the other way around. I can see if you were 20 lbs overweight and he wanting you to try dieting, but that is not the case. If he still refuses and the insurance company wont help, find a surgeon and ask them to recommend a PCP who they know is in support of weight loss surgery. You have to be your own advocate - you do not need to accept what doctors say regarding your care - you have choices and you need to use your voice. If you meet the criteria - fight for it. Good luck and I wish you well

ok, so I called my insurance company today and she told me that I can transfer Dr.s and they will still keep all the stuff I have done up to this point. I do however have to keep going through a Primary Care Physician to complete my requirements. I do not even get to talk to my surgeon until I get an approval from my insurance company. That is a rule that the surgeons office has. I would choose another surgeon but that is the only surgeon that my insurance named from my in-network Doctors. Anyway, I did go sign the release forms today to have my records sent to the insurance company and they are going to look at them and let me know if they will even approve me with what health problems I have. Thanks again for the encouraging replys.

My Dr tried to discourage me the first few times I mentioned WLS to her. At one point I thought she was trying to keep me from having it done by not filling out paperwork I left for her as quickly as I thought she should have. She has suggested several times to try and do it on my own - I have...and I know how that turns out. Then once I told her what my desicion was and that I was planning to do this, she became very supportive.

:rolleyes:I would rather keep my PCP but I will wait to see what the insurance company says before I go looking. If they are going to approve me, I think I will talk to my PCP one more time but if he says NO then I will go elsewhere. I kinda hate to change after 10 years but I certainly will if I have to.

My surgeon gave me a list of PCP's that support WLS... I found one that is amazing and on my insurance!

Maybe you should try asking your surgeon...

Good Luck!!!

Gee that is so sad...I just finished with my first appointments at Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA. They are wonderful. It went like a dream. I was accepted and now doing my little diet...will call the surgeon when I lose 6 of the 12 lbs. they want me to lose. They will take care of the insurance. And I got my testing for sleep apnea which is part of their process. I have 4 behavioral meetings in May..and most likely will be operated on in June. Try them they are terrific...especially Jessica one of the nurse/practitioners there.