Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rash..under my stomach (apron)

I have to ask because I NEVER EVER get rashes. Has anyone gotten a rash under that "flap" of belly fat. I wieghed 257 and currently weigh 220 so I haven't lost ALOT but I now get this re-occuring rash under my flap of fat. What the HELL is that. It 's not like a regular rash..no bumps or anything, it itches and it's almost like a diaper rash. When I use Gold bond powder after a couple of days it dries up. I am a very clean person ( I shower morning and evening) and I can't figure it out. When I went to the doctor the rash had dried out so he didn't really see anything except for a dark bruise looking thing. What is it and why do I have it????

It reminded me of when I saw severly obese people on Discovery health channel that hadn't lifted their folds to wash. I assumed they had some kind of fungus.

Help!!!!!! Is this normal???:drool::w00t::wink::confused::eek::thumbup::thumbup::w00t::lol::thumbup::confused2::confused2:

Been there done that....and it is awful. I use Monastat Vaginal cream (the leftovers from other irritations that come from being female). It works great. I also get this under my breasts during the summer. I started applying a mild antiiperspirant (sp?) there. Actually, I think that my bras last longer now that I do that....strange, I know but it works. Good luck!

I have had this rash off and on for years in my arm, breast and stomach folds. Each time I get it I use corn starch and in a day or two it is gone. If you use it after a shower be sure you are super dry as the corn starch will cake up and make a mess and not work like it should. During the summer I take a large swatch of soft T-shirt type fabric and place it in my belly fold and that also seems to help to prevent it from happening.

Thanks Mrs. Flipflop. I haven't had the surgery yet so that was with WW and Nutrisystem. It has taken me three years and a lot of won't power. I won't eat this or that. LOL I was able to get a Medicare advantage plan insurance in May and I am hoping they will pay for the surgery. I have finished all the evals and I am just waiting for a surgery date. I will be having a radio frequency neurotomy to my back on Sept 18th which hopefully will allow me to walk again without canes. If I hadn't lost the weight I did I never would have been able to have that procedure done. Once I am walking I hope shortly after that I have my lapband and get started with the rest of my weight loss journey.

ssfl- congrats on your weight loss!! You're doing amazingly!

In the past, before I had my Tummy Tuck. I used to put deodorant/antiperspirant under my apron after showering. Be sure it is dry before applying though. It doesn't work 100% of the time. Sometimes if it is extremely hot and humid I would get it no matter what.

Some people are not able to use that because of the aluminum in the antiperspirant but it is worth a try. Hope this helps somebody out there!

Sandybells

I am still dealing with this stuff....My newest area of concern is my butt smile....it has irritated me so much I even went to the colon/rectum surgeon! It is called periitis or something like that...Burn baby burn...he gave me a cream like a diaper rashe one!!!UGH....

What I don't get is my sugars are good and I weigh less...why the problems???

Hi. I have it as well. I had my lapband surgery Jan 26th. I hate it. I have lost 20 pounds and am ready for my first fill.....but the rash thing is really bothering me. I wonder if there is an over the counter thing I can pick up to cure it. I shower at least once a day and keep very clean and dry. I think it is a fungus.....grosssssss. I hate to go to the doctor.....It's too embarrasing.

I am starting to develope an apron with my weightloss. I have had a rash under the boobs before due to a poorly fitting bra... I am not looking forward to combating this during the summer... I will have it documented since it may help me later in the argument for ps if I should want to do it. I should call my patient advocate for my insurance company and ask her about it.

I was told by my doc's office to take pictures of every teeny tiny rash and got and to call or e-mail them about each and every one of them to use as documentation should I choose plastic surgery later on....

Hey everyone! I have finally been able to control this issue. First of all, let me say that I was diagnosed with acute psoriasis and that was a huge ordeal. I know this contributes to what I think is a skin yeast infection. For me, it was a combination of things.

Now, this sounds strange but for about a year now I have been keeping it at bay mostly by taking what I call a "bleach bath!" I read about it on the Psoriasis web site and thought I'd try it. Basically, a few times a week, I take a bath where I pour about a cup of bleach in with the water! May I remind you, I have sensative skin and I can do this! I soak at least 10 min. and then dry off. That is it! Occassionally, I still take a difflucan Rx but the baths really help. My skin has never been better and it sags even more now that I have lost more weight! I am at around 100 lbs off....I can't get my ticker to change (forgot pin #) so I will make a new one eventually!

Good Luck!:smile2:

I use FDS and it works great. Its like powder in spray form so it keeps that area nice and dry.

Unless it's been diagnosed as yeast/fungal, I wouldn't use an OTC antifungal--they can be VERY irritating to already-irritated skin. If it's not a yeast infection, it can make things much worse.

Skinfolds are moist and warm and the prime site for what moms used to call prickly heat--and that's how these rashes usually start. They can become infected---or they can simply be a terrible, painful nuisance.

For me, the one thing that has worked really well is Aveeno Active Naturals Anti-Itch concentrated lotion. I actually don't experience any itching from my rash, but this soothes the irritation and--more importantly--forms a nice skin barrier that protects against moisture.

If you plan on having reconstructive surgery at goal, it's a good idea to photograph the rash and/or darkening left by the rash (can't believe your doctor didn't know what this was---might be time for a new doctor!) periodically. Also keep all receipts for any skin protective lotions, prescription creams/ointments, etc. When it gets bad, return to the doctor for documentation. Over and over....establishing a record of medical treatment for skin breakdown will help get at least partial coverage for plastics.

It's probably a fungal infection. I got that under my breasts one summer. It's red, raw, and it hurts. You'll probably need medicated ointment from the doctor to get rid of it.

I also would get a horrible rash under my breasts. I used Desitin baby creme. Worked great, put in on at night and rash was gone in the mornig.