Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for long-timers

I'm curious as to whether long-time bandsters who are at goal ever have to think about fills? Absent serious changes in one's life--like a pregnancy or something--is it possible to just forget you have the band and never have to have it adjusted again? Or does the restriction fade over time even if you're not still losing weight?

Then, if the goal is just to not GAIN weight, is it still considered part of the surgical followup or a purely optional thing?

Yes, I know I'm looking long-term. :( I hope to have to face this question myself someday!

I'm not at goal but I do have a comment to your question. I think you will have to constantly monitor your progress and look for that amount of food it takes to fill you and how long you stay full. My port broke and it took me a while to notice these signs. Had I been more aware of what I was doing I would have had the port fixed sooner. I now pay close attention to what I am eating looking for signs that my fill is not where it needs to be.

I am near my goal, 6 pounds to go! My Doctor, who has become a good friend of mine, has told me that he wouldn't do any more fills for me because I might end up underweight. I honestly think like anything we get into, we have to be disciplined enough to watch what we are doing, I have to admit, I really am a food ADDICT!!! I love the taste of food- Thank God for the band, my food intake is restricted and if I go overboard, I upchuck things... (my son calls me bullimic, which is not a good thing!!!) However I feel everyone's sentiment, what if you start packing in the pounds, and your 10cc band is almost full, then what do you do???

Hey, good question.

For me, and this is just for me...I don't even think about fills. I really never did. I just knew I had to have restriction (took 2 fills) and then when I passed goal had to stop loosing (2 unfills).

Now, I weigh every few days or weekly and if I ever see the scales at 142, I need to diet.

If I diet but the scales go up to 145...then I know I need to go back for a fill.

I fluctuate between 137 and 141. But most people go up and down a few pounds anyways.

I just had a fill yesterday after a bit over 10 months and having maintained below 73 for all that time.

I just found I was getting hungrier week by week, I had started to prowl the kitchen after dinner looking for food, I was eating mid afternoon, could eat a whole sandwich, eating way more dinner than I used to etc etc.

I hadnt gained, but I could see that I might start to soon if I didnt reign it in. So I had .1ml. My doc didnt argue, he said good thinking, better to nip it in the bud now. I'd imagine it IS something you have to think about forever, because we do lose Fluid through evaporation. I had lost weight since my last fill - only 3kg but at a BMI of 22, 3kg is significant and that probably contributed too.

I asked my doc and he said probably yearly I'd need a teeny tiny top up. He wasnt worried about me becoming underweight. I can drop to a BMI of 18 without being underweight for starters, but I look and feel healthy so it obviously isnt a problem. As a runner himself he also appreciates my desire to be as light as is healthy because that means better running/less injury, so he's supportive of me losing more if I want to.

.1 hasnt made me appreciably tighter, but I have got that satisfied feeling between meals back.

Edited by Jachut

My friends - 4 who have had lapbands over 4 years now ,and the surgeon also said you need to go back yearly, and then may or may not need a fill.

Wow, I posted this question FIVE years ago! How cool that LBT is still here to help. :smile:

I'm nowhere near what could be considered "goal" so the answer for me is, well, we'll see. I'm actually thinking about getting a third fill in my new band, since there are times when I have absolutely no discernible restriction.

Wow, I posted this question FIVE years ago! How cool that LBT is still here to help. :smile:

I'm nowhere near what could be considered "goal" so the answer for me is, well, we'll see. I'm actually thinking about getting a third fill in my new band, since there are times when I have absolutely no discernible restriction.

yep this is a great,helpful site.

I thought that was a great question and was glad to read the replys. Very helpfull indeed.

I'm not at goal but I do have a comment to your question. I think you will have to constantly monitor your progress and look for that amount of food it takes to fill you and how long you stay full. My port broke and it took me a while to notice these signs. Had I been more aware of what I was doing I would have had the port fixed sooner. I now pay close attention to what I am eating looking for signs that my fill is not where it needs to be.

For me its a question of being just loose enough to eat, not gain weight and not PB. I am 10 lbs from goal so I'm going in for a slight tweak once I recover from plastic surgery. My goal is to get to a good fill where I can stabilize and not PB as often. I think that once I get there I'll probably be there long term without a fill. Depends on if the fill absorbs or not. I'll have to see.