Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help w/ protien powders ??

Hello All, I am a newbie here. I am planning surgery in June and am desperatley needing help with choosing a protien supplement!!!! They ALL taste like vomit:angry_smile: to me!! I need to know if anyone out there has a way to make these things taste better so I can get them down without gagging! I have tried several different powders (Unjury and such), and a liquid one called "Isopure". I just can't stand ANY of them!! Any help will be MUCH appreciated:smile:. Theresa P

Wow, you tried the two that I know of that taste best. The Unjury chocolate tastes like a chocolate milk shake to me. And the Isopure is a great change from the shakes. The Isopure is definately better in some flavors than others. I prefer the apple-melon one best, then blue raspberry and then the grape. You could try the unflavored powders but I found those even worse than the flavored ones. Of the powders I use Body Fortress chocolate with some SF raspberry Syrup but I think Unjury tastes better. Body Fortress is just much, much cheaper at Target. Just keeps trying them and I hope you find one you can tolerate. They do get old way too fast.

ick the grape to me tasted the worst and SMELLED AWFUL! i tolerated the pineapple one. Pre-surgery...my trick is using a straw that bypasses the front tastebuds! It makes it soooo much more tolerable. I really like slim fast optima choc royale, it's the only one that I actually enjoy drinking. I am ordering the unflavored unjury powder to add to it, and praying it doesn't change the flavor too much. I just had an Atkins shake and it was ok, not as sweet and lighter than most, which was nice, but still not as good as my slim fast! lol. nectar shakes are good in some flavors, but dilute them in more Water or crystal light sf koolaid than it says to! Or they will taste WAY too strong. The one i like right now is a tropical something....it has a coconut taste, pretty good! Everyone's tastes are different. Champion Nutrition shakes aren't too bad either, but again dilute them more Water or skim/1% milk than is called for or they are WAY thick. I haven't tried muscle milk yet, that's my next one. Myoplex...eh, not so good, but i can do it with my straw trick. I bite the straw so that I get it slowly and don't let the shake go back down the straw so i don't get air. I am hoping that in time I will be able to try that trick after banding...

I hope that helps!

You don't have to do protien powders. You can use tofu, milk, and fruit to make a shake. If you are drinking milk or eating yogurt and eating fish/lentils/meat, you may be already getting enough protien

Have a look at Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, books, DVDs & more They have a gazillion flavors and types (in all different sizes too) and some even have free shipping!

That's how I found my favorite, IDS Multi Pro in Belgian chocolate which I mix in just Water, and it tastes terrific!

But each of us is different and it's good you're starting early to find out which one fits you! (Sorry, but all the canned ones--and the unjury--taste just nasty to me!) :wub:

Thanks for the help everyone!! I will give these suggestions a try and hope for the best:rolleyes:, Thanks again... Theresa P

I like the chocolate powder ones the best. And, if you add in about 1 t. of Cocoa powder and a few packs of artificial sweetner, and a lot of ice... they really aren't too bad. The cocoa powder only adds 10 calories. My favorite is "New Direction". I also like the "Unjury" and the "EAS" powder. I wrote the same message a few weeks ago asking for help.

I use the Unjury unflavored and mix it with whatever type of liquid drink I like. Such as Crystal lite, etc....

Also love the Protein bullets from GNC

I don't like the Protein Shakes either. My doctor is handing out some powders from Chike. They say they are really good you add the powder to Water and shake it well, don't mix it. Their website is Chike - Gluten-Free Nutrition Drinks. 1 serving has 28gm of Protein with 170 calories. Other than that, just use a straw and PRAY!! I'll remember u when I'm drinking mine.

That Chike is awful stuff - tried it last weekend. I'm going to ask my doctor if the Boost Protient would work - they are yummy!