Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Can any of Dr. Miles or Schmitt's patients help me with a few questions I have? I have BCBS of AL PPO.

How much where you required to pay upfront? (with insurance)

What was the PREop requirement? (liquids for so many days etc?

What is the POSTop requirement? (liquids so many days, mushies.. etc)

I think that's all for now. We have a couple of vacations coming up and I would like to have a heads up on the money so I don't spend it on vacation lol and food requirements..... same.. need to be sure vacation goes along with them.

Thanks!!

Hey Wendy! Congrats on your surgery date. I just found out today that BCBS AL approved me!! Took FOREVER!!! What did you do when you found out? Did you call Dr. Miles office? or did they get in touch with you? I have emailed Neomi (a couple of weeks ago and then yesterday - b4 I knew), but she has not responded... How long did it take you to get on the schedule? I was at the support group meeting a couple of weeks ago and heard that they only schedule 1 case a day. I find that odd (I work in surgery and usually dr's have block times that they schedule in - especially high volume docs like miles and schmidtt).

=)

Shawna

Congrats on the approval!! I had faxed my paperwork in to Neomi and a week later I called to make sure they got it because I never heard anything. When I called, she told me I had already been approved. So ... that was around March 7th and my sugery was set up that day for April 24th. I have to go April 9th for the nutrition class that is required and then back on the 18th for preop testing. About 2 weeks later, I got the actual approval from BCBS in the mail. If I were you, I'd call. I've emailed twice since then and haven't heard back either. I'm sure they are very busy bc I used to hear back within the hour but haven't on the last 2 emails. Let me know your date when you get it!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!

I called yesterday and they said that she had been out of the office and would be in today. So I called today and of course she was on the other line, I left a message, so maybe she will call me back. I feel sorry for her, cuz you know she gets slammed everyday!

=)

I think Dr. Miles and Schmitt requires all their patients undergo a sleep study. I was really not happy about that either. But I did mine rather quickly after my initial appt with Dr. Miles. Not pleasant but I did it.

I got an email back from Neomi yesterday stating that I was approved and I could have my surgery on April 14. OMG! The only thing is I am going on a cruise on April 21. I don't know if it would be wise to do it so close to my cruise. I wouldnt mind doing it earlier, but I am betting that is highly unlikely, so I emailed her back with my concerns and awaiting her response. I am guessing that it will be early May. I know I am ready!!

Hope all is well with all of you!

Shawna

I'll be happy to swap with you. My friend here in the office just got her surgery date, May 2. I have to wait two weeks after hers! I would love to have mine April 14!

Congrads on hearing back from her and getting the date set!! Are they booked up until May?? Mine is set for April 24th but we are thinking of taking a company trip to vegas that weekend so I was thinking of changing it but haven't confirmed the trip yet. I wondered when it would be rescheduled to if I asked.

sleep study... I was required to do that too. HATE every minute of that night but was willing to do whatever it took. It was required by Dr. Miles, not my insurance.

Thats what I was told too. If you are diagnosed with sleep apenia, they require you to take the CPAP with you to surgery. I'm not sure if they automatically put it on your or just have it for stand by. What I wondered is why if it's required for this surgery... why not every surgery. I've been put to sleep several times and was never asked this. Maybe its due to the location they are working with.

The sleep study wasn't really that big of a deal... I just hated it because I knew they were watching me on a camera and the bed was VERY uncomfortable.

Congrads on hearing back from her and getting the date set!! Are they booked up until May?? Mine is set for April 24th but we are thinking of taking a company trip to vegas that weekend so I was thinking of changing it but haven't confirmed the trip yet. I wondered when it would be rescheduled to if I asked.

sleep study... I was required to do that too. HATE every minute of that night but was willing to do whatever it took. It was required by Dr. Miles, not my insurance.

The first date they gave me was April 14. But I am going on a cruise on the 21st and didnt think that would be too smart. Then they came back with May 6. I am going to the Nutrition class on the 9th and my pre-op appt is on the 29th.

They must have a method to the way they schedule, but I havent figured it out yet.

Neomi said that they didnt receive my release from Dr. Kim Schmitt from my sleep study. I called their office and they never received the download from that dumb card. They are supposed to be contacting the medical supply company about it, so now I am making sure I use that AWFUL cpap machine again in case they ask for another download. GEEZ what a nightmare! I cannot sleep at all with that thing!:scared2:

Did you get a letter back from the medical supply that you were in compliance? Surely, that will be easy to straighten out.

I haven't heard at all from the medical supply place. Honestly, I think they are a bunch of crooks. First of Dr. Kim Schmitt's office actually told me to exaggerate my symptoms so that the insurance company would pay for the sleep study. I did not have any symptoms of sleep apnea. Then when I had the sleep study the girl that observed me said that I didn't even stop enough to make bc/bs's requirements to use the cpap machine. Of course Dr. Schmitt said that I needed another study. Of course that time I had it. My numbers were 1 above normal. Plus she required that I sleep on my back which is not how I really sleep. I just think that it is a way for them to make more money. I know my sleep study cost over $6000. When the girl brought my machine to my house, I asked her how much this would cost me. She said that it was gonna be like $400, I told her that was too much and she said that we could lease it. Well yeah you know what it cost 2 times as much when you lease it. My first two payments were $150 and then it goes to $40 a month! I have a 200 major medical deductible on our health insurance but what really stinks is my husband's plant closed in February and we had to swap to my employer's insurance so I got stuck paying another $200 deductible. They bill $386 every month to my insurance. I would have been better off to buy it outright. The girl completely misrepresented the plan. Sorry just a rant! Now 2 more weeks of no sleep! LOL

The first date they gave me was April 14. But I am going on a cruise on the 21st and didnt think that would be too smart. Then they came back with May 6. I am going to the Nutrition class on the 9th and my pre-op appt is on the 29th.

They must have a method to the way they schedule, but I havent figured it out yet.

Neomi said that they didnt receive my release from Dr. Kim Schmitt from my sleep study. I called their office and they never received the download from that dumb card. They are supposed to be contacting the medical supply company about it, so now I am making sure I use that AWFUL cpap machine again in case they ask for another download. GEEZ what a nightmare! I cannot sleep at all with that thing!:scared2:

Unless something changes, I am scheduled for the nutrition class April 9th also. I really hope this class helps!! (Gives step by step what to expect ... cans and can'ts etc) See you there!!:biggrin2: