Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Albuquerque Support Group

Melanie, It is wonderful to know that the second fill makes such a difference! I will be going on 5/16 for my second fill but for right now I don't feel much restriction. I cannot believe how much weight you have lost already! Did you lose all that with the band? What do you think about the meeting for us ABQ bandsters? Can you make it on Sat. 5/3 in front of the Frontier Restaurant? I was thinking about going. dlsparks88 is organizing it.

5/01/08

I do think I am going to go on Saturday, unless something major comes up. I did lose all of it with the band. I just hit 50 pounds this morning, celebrated of course with more shopping :wub:

Hope to see you Sat!

Melanie, I haven't heard from anybody else so it might be just you and me! I'll be there at 2pm today.

5/03/08

I think I have to cancel. My husbands plane was due in this morning at 949 but his flight into Denver was delayed and he missed that one. He is on standby for another one that gets in at 1230 something but he didn't let me know if he got on it or not. If he doesn't get home, I don't have a sitter and won't make it. I will try to post and let you all know one way or the other when I find out. Ahhhhh!

Hi ladies,

Sorry I wasn't able to make it on Saturday. I would love to try again next time. Please post when another one gets planned.

Melanie

Hi my name is Carol. I'am thinking about lap band sugery. From my research it looks lie the choices in this area are El Paso, Denver, and Phoenix. No surgeons in Albuqueque. What ave your experiences been? I know that Dr Orris in Phoenix is contracted with my health insurance company.

Thanks.

Carol

Hi Carol,

I don't know much about El Paso or Denver, but I will tell you my experience with Dr. Orris in Phoenix. I had to go out there twice before the surgery. The first time they did pulmonary function, drew blood, h-pylori, EKG, nutritional consult, medical history, and meeting with the surgeon. They also will be able to tell you how much it will cost you out of pocket based on your insurance. The second visit was psych consult, chest x-ray, ultrasound, and the scope of your stomach. At that time, they hope to have all of your medical clearance from your PCP, medical records sent to them, as well as any history of going to Weight Watchers, Curves, etc. They submit to the insurance and you wait it out for approval. Once my insurance approved me, they wanted to schedule me like 2 weeks later. Since you are out of town, you can do your pre op visit the day before and they give you your prescriptions for afterwards at that time. Each of the first 2 office visits take about 3-4 hours. They made it pretty easy for me. You have to do a preop diet but they don't make you lose a certain amount of weight prior to surgery or anything like that.

It is a 6-7 hour drive, or US Air has several flights to and from during the day that if you buy them a few weeks in advance, aren't more than $125, which isn't too bad at all.

Which insurance do you have?

If there is anything I didn't cover, let me know and I will do my best to help. It has been an awesome experience for me so far, I only wish I had done it sooner.

Thanks for the information. I've been researching this all day. When I make up my mind to do something, I don't waste too much time. Anyway it looks like Dr Orris may be the way to go, as he has a contract with my provider (United Healh Care.)

What is the pre-surgery diet like?

I have United as well. The one thing about United, Dr. Orris takes it, but Dr. DeBarros doesn't so they consider his portion of the surgery out of network and they charge you for it. I found out 2 months after surgery that United went ahead and paid the out of network fees so they refunded me that portion. All in all, the whole thing didn't cost us very much because of that :) Fills are included, I think like 6? They are pretty aggressive with giving them, they want to fill you up, not a teensy bit at a time like others I have heard about. I appreciate that because the office isn't a quick trip across town.

Preop diet was basically watery Soups, Protein shakes, apple juice, Water, tea with meats like chicken breast, turkey, tuna. Was hard at first but it went by pretty quick.

I am in the process of getting insurance approval for lap band. I live in ABQ and am going to Phoenix to Dr. Terry Simpson for surgery. I would love to be able to talk to someone locally who has had this procedure.

Hi ladies,

Sorry I wasn't able to make it on Saturday. I would love to try again next time. Please post when another one gets planned.

Melanie

Melanie, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Two of us met Sat 5/3/08 at UNM. The other person was Dave (dlsparks88) who has been banded for quite some time. Our meeting was very informative and a great help to me. It seems like you have more restrictions in you life so let me know when it is convienent for you, I'll meet you any time for a little support!

I also have United Health Care and had I know at the onset about their coverage I probably would have gone to another doctor because UHC didn't cover Dr. Debarros. I am sure we ended up paying more out of pocket as a result. Having said that, I was really happy with WLIAZ and their staff. I am leaving this Friday 5/16 for my second fill and I am really looking forward to more restriction.

5/13/08

Thanks for the information. I've been researching this all day. When I make up my mind to do something, I don't waste too much time. Anyway it looks like Dr Orris may be the way to go, as he has a contract with my provider (United Healh Care.)

What is the pre-surgery diet like?

Hi Carol, I too went to WLIAZ for my surgery in Feburary. I also have United Health Care. Like Melanie said, Dr Orris is a network provider and Dr Debarros is not. They both do the surgery, you have no choice. Double check with your insurance and see how much it will be if you use them. I had to pay over 7K out of pocket for them and then another 2K for the hospital and I am still getting bills. The staff at WLIAZ couldn't be nicer and I was very satisfied with Dr Orris but there is the issue of coverage that you should consider with your type of insurance. Hope this helps.

5/13/08

I would like to plan another meeting, time and location to be determined based on inputs.

Please a provide a good date for you and approx. location on the board. I went to my fire support meeting two weeks ago, it was great -- everyone has story to tell and we want to listen.

So, please post date, and location preference, lets get it together -- it will fun and exciting to all.

Thanks, Dave :cursing:

Hi! I was banded on May 7 in El Paso with Dr. Applebaum at Southwest Bariatrics, and I too, live in Albuquerque:smile:. I had very little pain and am doing well. I just started soft foods today. I will have the first fill in June. I was wondering if it was painful and did you notice a big difference right away? Thanks!

NMThin,

Excellent that you have no pain. Results -- I believe they vary depending on age, weight, and female/male etc. I am 41 male, I started seeing results quickly, 1-2 pounds a week, and then I had my fill and progress kept coming. I made mistakes a long the way, eating to fast, drinking while I am eating, and eating bread (a lot) -- big mistakes. Other mistakes: not planning physical activity and planning my food intake.

But I am success today, lost 60 pounds, 10 pounds to goal (8 months after surgery. If you would like to discuss over the phone or in person, or via lapbandtalk -- let me know.

Good Luck.