Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any April 3rds?

hey what do you girls think about putting faces with names and posting our before pics? of course that means i would actually have to take one lmao

I let my 7yr old dd play games on my computer and next thing i know, it's dead!! glad to be back in the threads!

I have gotten extremely nervous. crying...starting to worry that I'll screw this up. my dh is so supportive. I just read a few of the bad experiences and started thinking...what the heck am i doing? I know deep down that this is what i need to help myself, but I'm more nervous about this surgery than any others. I had 2 laparoscopies for endometriosis in order to have my kids. then I've had ankle, hand and knee surgery to repair my graceful sports injuries of the past. This is the first time i keep thinking about mortality and keep getting freaked out. I found a counselor, but i'm halfway scared to say anything b/c i'm scared she'll tell me to postpone until i'm more comfortable. I've been looking into this since i first read about it in 2000. maybe it's normal to freak out before surgery, but y'all don't seem to be having the nerves that i am.

i know this is right for me...it's just the closer the date gets, half of me gets really excited and the other half freaks!

Sorry if this was a downer...just had to vent.

For me, I think it's a matter of complete faith in my surgeon. I have never had a major medical procedure, and honestly I just don't think about it. I have myself convinced that it's just another "test". I know all of the pre-op possibilities, but the limited probability of them do not outweigh my health, happiness, and finally feeling like I "fit" in my body. The benefits far outweigh the risks for me, and maybe I am naive to think that this whole decision is bigger than me, but I just feel completely at peace with it. I will probably be a wreck the day before, but honestly I won't even allow myself to look at the calender, there's just no reason to freak myself out for something that will turn out to be the GREATEST thing I could ever do for myself.

I completely understand your fears, but lets take it one thing at a time...

Anesthesia - what most people are afraid of - you've been through it more than once and know you don't have a bad reaction to it...

laproscopic entry and exit- you've been through that too...you know it's a tool that is used with skill and precision and they can get in and out without issues.

the actual banding - they are already in there...it's that last step, nothing past this point can't be fixed...if it slips, they adjust it, if it leaks, they replace it, if it erodes, they don't even have to deal with it surgically in most cases, it's an unfill. So then it's done. Be sure to have the gas-x strips, a small pillow for if you caugh to hold against your incisions, walk walk walk, sip sip sip...and you will be on cloud nine with the rest of us when it comes time for that first fill. We are here for you, and we are all going through this together. We will be dealing with the same things each day after surgery, and we will be here no matter what. So just take a breathe, look at some before and afters, and imagine your life 3,6,9,12 months from now and smile at your projected success. Because you WILL succeed!

Hi Big Band Fan,

I am scared too. And I am having mine in Mexico! So thing is, I would probably be more OK if I were not a mom. I have a 7yo daughter & a 5yo daughter, and they mean the WORLD to me. If something happend to me, it would change their lives drastically.

I have to have faith that things will be fine, and if worst case, faith that they would still be well loved and cared for.

Its normal to be worried. Actually, I think I did not know what worry was until I had my daughters! And I thank God for them every day. But I want to be a role model, not a sit-on-the-sidelines watch-life-go-by mom, either.

I had a much better day today. I've decided that I'm not going to stray too far from just a few threads - the positive ones. I've been researching this since 2000 and I'm fully armed with the knowledge of what can go wrong as well as how it can be fixed.

I called and talked with the nurse today and got my doc's official stats - 1900 bands in the last 2 years- 1 experienced erosion and 4 experienced band slippage. Not too shabby odds! She answered all my questions and put me at ease. Then I went by the office to weigh myself there compared to home. While I was in the waiting room, 3 ladies pulled me into their conversation and said it was the best thing they had done for themselves. When I was leaving, one lady gave me her phone number and insisted that I call her this weekend. When I got on the scale it was 298...still waaaaaaaaay off from where I want to be, but this is the first time I've been under 300 since my daughter was born in 2000!!! My BMI is 49.6!! Under 50!! Okay so it's only .4 under 50 but it's still under!!

Then I get home and read your posts. Kris I've printed yours and have put it in my notebook to pull out if i start freaking out again. And Alicia, I think you hit the nail on the head with me. When the kids come into your life there's so much more emotion and meaning to everything. I think that's what pushed me over the edge.

Thanks again for your words!! I'm back on track with everybody behind me! Come on April 3rd!

Amy

Hey Ladies,

You guys had great words for BigBandFan! and BBF you are going to do just great! Your surgeon has great odds and knows what he is doing. I am straying away from the boards posting with band problems as well. We can do this. We are strong and healthy women who are just a little fluffy!!!

God Bless You All,

Gina

My doc suggested Atkins 1 week prior, but I am having such a hard time getting on it! If its hard now, think how hard it will be AFTER....Ugh! I knew this would be no cakewalk, but I sure hope I can behave myself and control my cravings!

Have a great weekend all of you, THURSDAY will be here soon!

luckily i have a great surgeon here in richmond, so i don't have to travel. just curious as to when those going to Mexico are leaving and returning. want to be sure to wish you luck and say 'vaya con dios' - never took spanish so that's the only phrase i know besides 'la bamba'! :thumbup:

Amy

readytolose,

Hello. Congratulations on getting your band date. This is a very exciting time for all. I am also getting banded on the 3rd in Mexico. I can not wait. I am ready to be done with the pre-op diet!!! Much Luck.

Gina

Hey Ladies.....only a few more days. I am heading out tomorrow night to spend night at hotel then off in the early a.m. to Mexico! Can't wait, can't sleep! I will be thinking and praying for all of us on this day. May God bless you through your journey.

April 3rd Rocks!