Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I still have a ways to go to even know if I will be approved by ins. my bmi is 44. Any advice??? also I was reading about the pre diet anyone know what

that is? I cant wait to get the process moving alittle faster.:mad2:

At some step along the process, you'll probably meet with a nutritionist that will explain ( and hopefully give it to you in writing) the different phases of eating from pre-op to post-op. In general the pre-op diet is to prepare you for surgery by helping to shrink your liver which is in the area the Dr will work and the post op phases are to allow your stomach to heal after surgery.

Some Dr. have patients do a liquid protien pre-op diet, other Dr's use a low calorie high Protein diet and some Dr.s adjust the pre-op diet based on the patient's starting BMI.

Post op diet usually progresses from clear liquid, to fill liquid, to pureed, to mushies, to soft, to regular. The time frame between each stage varies with each Dr.

My doctor did not require a pre-op diet. I am 20 days out and I'm eattng normal. It all depends on what your doctor wants you to do. Every doctors rules are different.

I agree... I wish this process could get moving a little faster! I have all my appointments set up... both the testing at the hospital and the nutrionist are set up for a week from Friday, my last support group meeting is next week. Then I have to wait a week then another nutrition class and then the following week, the surgeon and the week after that the mental health counsellor.... Ugh... I wish I could put appointments together! Right now my last appointment is April 18th... after that insurance approval, which is probably a week... so I think that probably puts me into May for suregery! That's assuming all goes well! I so wish I could speed this up, but I guess I have been overweight for so long, what's another two months! Good Luck with everything and keep me posted on your journey!:shades_smile:

Shannon

I am not sure if you are talking about a pre-op diet or a diet required by most insurance companies before approval. Most insurance require a 6 month diet with your PCP before they will approve you for surgery. Check your policy and get started on it as soon as possible. I am only on month 2 and it seems to last forever. Good Luck :-)