Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite before first fill: how much could you eat?

Curious, I can only speak for myself...I'm 9 weeks out still no fill. I can eat almost anything. I don't (most of the time), not for fear of being sick, but because I want to be successful. I have not been sick at all, and all foods taste just as good as they did before. I can feel my port if I press my hand deeply into my abdomin, but otherwise I feel nothing...You should aske people in different stages of post-op...It seems people have a hard time at first because they still have an appetite and weight loss is slow (this is how I feel at the moment) but people who have had a few more fills and have been doing this a bit longer have had great success and seemed to really make a lifestyle change for the better...You will read about good and bad experiences...I believe this tool does work...So do some extensive research, and if it seems like something you think you are ready for, It certainly is worth the consideration. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Don't be too hard on yourself. The band isn't doing it's job yet. You had trouble controlling what you ate before banding and that is not going to suddenly change because you had surgery. You need to get your band filled to the right capacity to feel the restriction you need to control your portions - that is what the band is designed for. Don't feel bad that you need the band to do what it is supposed to be doing! All these people who admonish others for eating like a non-banded person when they are essentially still not banded (or not restricted enough to get the benefit of the band yet) are being kind of judgemental, I think. It is no crime to need restriction. If it were easy to stretch your pouch I would have done it a long time ago, trust me!!! I don't think it happens, especially when you aren't fully restricted.

I am 8 days out from banding. Yup, the hunger kicked in about day 6. For a couple of days I ate what I wanted, however it took a whole lot less to fill me. My doctor did not require a pre-op liquid diet - he might of suggested it, I truly don't remember. I was warned however that I should gain no weight, which I didn't. I have no restriction, and I get my first fill 4/14. After a couple of days of eating (scrambled eggs, toast, sandwiches, taco bell etc.) when hungry, stopping when full, I decided that I needed to give this a better effort and for the past two days I have stayed on Protein Drink and crystal light. I have a can of Soup per day, also but that has been it. Sweety might have been brusque in her tone and I feel also, that she shouldn't judge until she's walked that mile and all that, but she is somewhat right in that we should do what we are supposed to, to the best that we can. Who is perfect all the time? I know I'm not - probably wouldn't want to be if I could! LOL! No Fun!

Just remember that we're all here to support each other, not to condemn.

Penny:lost3lbs:

I am 8 days past surgery. I just started on mushies today. I am eating the recommended foods, but the portions are unbelievably small. I had 1/4 cup of oatmeal and 1/4 cup of applesauce for Breakfast. Two hours later, I was ravenous. (And, no, it wasn't head hunger). My stomach felt like it was eating itself up. So I've decided to eat the food I'm allowed and to eat it until I feel satisfied. Each one of us is different, and we all have to work out a plan that helps us be successful. I'm grateful to all of you for sharing your stories. It helps so much to know we're not in this alone.

Hey Brina, glad you posted this! I can tell you that right at the 2 week mark, it was like the flood gates had opened and my appetite came roaring back. I was HUNGRY! Right around there is when Dr. B gave me the go-ahead to start with regular foods and once I started eating regular foods, it was a bit easier. I am eating less than I did pre-band, but the scale isn't moving. I'm trying not to get freaked out since I know I have no restriction until that first fill. But just know that as you eat more substantial foods, that hunger will go away. I do notice that I stay fuller longer now than I probably did pre-band.

amen healthy, good point u drove home. i had my first fill 3/15 and had surgery on 2/11. no restristion after surgery nor after the first fill. i cheated before the fill, but trying to hang with it now. i have a 12 cc band and doc. only puts in 1cc per month. it will take me forever, and it sounds like its a healthy diet and a lot of will power. i hope the fills hurry and help too. i really want to eat. and i dont see where it helps at all with the head hunger and appetite

Healthy again and Jonathan,

I would say I'm direct and to the point not aggressive. I'm certainly not argumenative....what exactly am I arguing about? My response wasn't intended for the original poster but for the one's who say they are eating just as much as they were before they were banded and willingly overeating and gaining weight. That is unbelievable at this stage of this process. I know it's going to get harder for me but my way of thinking is that it's not enough to WANT to lose weight. You have to WANT to lose weight and take control of your life bad enough to do all the right stuff.

This band isn't a quick fix...we all know that. It's a tool we've been given to assist us. It's up to us to make it work. I'm sorry guys and gals...I don't like sugar coating things. I know we're here to give each other support and encouragement and I'm not trying to be mean BUT.......No it's not okay to be slacking this early on. Get some self control. I am HUNGRY right this minute. My husband had Pasta and garlic bread for supper while I drank boost and Water. The house smelled like an italian restaurant. It was tough but I'm not giving in. Think of the rewards for showing some self control.

Janet

Edited by Sweet_pea_2

I am 8 days out from banding. Yup, the hunger kicked in about day 6. For a couple of days I ate what I wanted, however it took a whole lot less to fill me. My doctor did not require a pre-op liquid diet - he might of suggested it, I truly don't remember. I was warned however that I should gain no weight, which I didn't. I have no restriction, and I get my first fill 4/14. After a couple of days of eating (scrambled eggs, toast, sandwiches, taco bell etc.) when hungry, stopping when full, I decided that I needed to give this a better effort and for the past two days I have stayed on Protein drink and crystal light. I have a can of Soup per day, also but that has been it. Sweety might have been brusque in her tone and I feel also, that she shouldn't judge until she's walked that mile and all that, but she is somewhat right in that we should do what we are supposed to, to the best that we can. Who is perfect all the time? I know I'm not - probably wouldn't want to be if I could! LOL! No Fun!

Just remember that we're all here to support each other, not to condemn.

Penny:lost3lbs:

I'm glad to see you've gotten back on the right track. I can only imagine how hard it must be. I'm not judging anyone. I admire each and every one of you who have taken this big step in trying to get control of your lives and to be healthy. I do support you....but if you want honestly...you'll get that from me. I'm going to be the first one to admit it if I falter. I know I'm going to be pretty miserable at times. I paid $15,000 for this surgery...out of my own pocket. I signed up for this...and I'm prepared to take it to the limit.:thumbup:

Janet

Sweet_pea_2

I just want to get one thing straight. I did very well pre & post op. in fact I lost 30lbs. during that time. I was even cooking for 4 other people and never cheated. It was after I got on regular food that I started to have problems. I'm a compulsive eater and that is why I got banded. I try very hard to stay on track ever day but it's very hard to break old habits over night. I don't get my first fill until 3/26. If you have that much self control then why did you get banded? You may like to be direct and to the point but don't be so judgmental. Until you get to this point you have no idea how hard it is.I hope you can stay on tract.

Edited by JillS

I wonder why most of you aren't getting fills until weeks 7 & 8? I know every doctor is different...but I wonder why there is such a difference. I'm getting my first fill at 4 weeks post-op & I cannot wait. I've done really well but since starting on mushy food, I am gaining my initial weight back. I'm barely eating anything--not starving myself--but using a lot of willpower (power I didn't think I had)!

I was banded just over 3 weeks ago and while I do get hungry I have just started back on normal food and find I have great restriction. Get full very quickly and food gets stuck if I eat too much or too fast.

I had luch with colleagues today and only managed half a childs portion and I feel I ate too much. I'm stuffed. I knew I wanted to stop eating but loads of people were there and have all been commenting on how little I've been eating so I was trying to eat as much as possible. Stupid I know but nobody in work knows I've had the band and I want to keep it that way. Feel awful now though :wink2:

First fill is in 2 weeks (almost 6 weeks post op) so hopefully I get more restriction as although I can't eat a lot in one sitting I get hungry quickly.

Edited by ailbhe

I just got banded Monday and I can't imagine eating like a ate before. I know it's too early for me to start feeling hungry but I'm sticking to this program EXACTLY like I have been instructed to. I only get three 8 oz bottles of Boost per day and at least 64 oz of Water for 16 days. My diet will advance to mushies on April 2nd. I don't intend to eat anything at all until they tell me to. How do any of you expect this to work for you if you aren't willing to do what you are told? This band is only going to work the way it's supposed to if WE do what we are supposed to. So you feel a little hungry....deal with it. Find a distraction. I preached about this before I was banded on Monday and people told me I needed to wait until after I was banded to give an opinion. I admit...I would love some warm Soup but it's not going to happen. If my doctor wants me to have it...then he will order it. Otherwise I'm sticking to the program and will be successful at it. It's only been 2 days and I plan on going for a walk tomorrow. I wish you all the best of luck but don't start doing things you aren't supposed to do so early on...you are setting yourself up for failure.

Janet:wub:

So...Sweet Pea, you were banded on Monday and will be on 3 bottles of boost for 16 days...check back in with us in two weeks and let us know if you are still preaching.

SJ

sweetpea2- believe me, we ALL cheat, we all do things not recommended by our doctors at some point and believe it or not you will too. It isn't helpful to have someone less than a week out from surgery telling you you are not doing a good job. It's kind of like someone with no kids giving you parenting advice. I'm not trying to be mean, but its a sensitive issue and those of us with food/weight issues have been told all our lives we aren't strong enough or smart enough or that we don't have enough willpower. My problem is that when I am hungry I want to eat. That is how God designed our bodies and is a great gift that we are that way. Hunger is not a bad thing or a sign of weakness,it is a signal from our body. After surgery we are not hungry for a while, but the time that lasts varies. About 10 days to 2 weeks after surgery I felt absolutely no different than I did before surgery. I could eat the same amount and though I tried really hard to follow my doctor's instructions the hunger sometimes won out and I ate quantities that were not recommended. The band is designed to work optimally when filled. It takes most people several fills to get the restriction needed to control their eating. I could not control my portions before the band so how could anyone expect me to control my portions with the band and no restriction? Why did you have the band? If hunger doesn't drive you to eat, why didn't you just lose the weight on a normal diet and save time and money? Just be aware that you are going to get really hungry and start feeling better physically and it may not always be as easy as simply not listening to your hunger. Please don't take this post the wrong way...I'm really trying to be helpful. I wish you all the best and hope you can continue to do well even if you don't have restriction! Just know that not everyone can.

No restriction...CAN eat anything...but forcing myself to eat Proteins and healthy-ish choices...although all i want is cheesecake, nachos, burgers, fries, chips, cake, candy...icecream, ahhhh...i miss food!

I clearly remember scaring myself after easily eating a huge four egg omelet, biscuit, and some other stuff. Until you get filled, maybe a couple of fills, you should have very little restriction. Talk to your Dr. if you are concerned. Remember, it is reversible. Just having it in without having a fill, is like having no band at all.