Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NutriSystem

K@t

Has any one tried it before, any comments about it? Any thing to say about it?

I have a pantry full of the stuff if anyone wants it! lol The first time I did Nutrisystem was right after my divorce when I was out to become 'all I could be'--that worked well for a while, lost what I wanted and was pretty motivated. then when I couldn't afford the food any more, I gained it all back and then some. That was close to 20 years ago. I tried it again last year, struggled for a long time to finally lose 10 lbs and got tired of the gravy or sauces on everything and quit eating it. I have gained back lots more than those 10 lbs. Seems for me, nothing works. I am now researching to find a way to pay for lapband.

I tried it for awhile. Some of the food is ok and some of it does taste like dog food. I still have some left if you would like to try it. The program work pretty well for a short period of time. I lost 20 and then I gained it back. The program gets to be really expensive

I tried it back in 1988-1989 and lost 70 lb. when I had only been planning on losing 50. I don't remember eating any dog food though. :thumbup:

After that they went into Chapter 11 and came back reorganized. So I switched to Jenny Craig.

Well, I was thinking about doing it for awhile to get a jump start with my band, but I was afraid of a few things that you guys have seemed to confirm here.....the food would taste horrible (the vote is out on that one), I would spend a lot of money and it would just sit in my cabinet, I would do it with success, but once I stopped it would all come back. It is really expensive and its not like I can continue to pay that much for the rest of my life, I supposed it would be cheaper and easier in the long run just to figure out a reasonable diet at home.:thumbup:

Have you considered WW? I tried them too. I prefer JC because they tell you want to do and you do it and you lose weight. :o But WW is more "for life" because you eat real food and you can eat anything you like as long as your points are below your daily limit. So you have to learn how to make good choices.

My surgeon requires weight loss before surgery so I need to think about this too. I am thinking I might do something like The Zone or South Beach because, even though I think those sorts of diets are kind of a gimmick, I think the eating is more like post-band eating with the emphasis on cutting out carbs and getting in more Protein.

What do you guys think? Are those diets reasonable and doable for 3-6 months?

my doc told me south beach was a good one to do. but my husband refuses to eat brown rice or wheat Pasta so that makes it difficult.

I convinced my dh to switch to brown rice for a while but the entire family bitched so much that we went back to white. I think I found my answer about South Beach then. :(

I have done both NutriSystem and Jenny Craig (as well as every other diet under the sun) and I believe that Jenny Craig is SO much better. NutriSystem made me feel like I was eating military food meant to survive in a bomb shelter for 100 years. Much of the Jenny Craig food is frozen rather than shelf stable, so I feel like it is fresher and more "natural." It tastes SO much better and has much more variety.

Most importantly, I actually had success losing weight on Jenny Craig, and I never lost a pound on NutriSystem. I'm sure some people like it and do well on it, but if you're choosing a program like that, JC is the way to go.

Good luck!

I did NutriSystem years ago, lasted about 5 weeks because the amount of food allowed just didn't fill me. They actually went bankrupt in Australia and closed down about 10 years ago.

NS = YUCK!

Jenny Craig = GOOD + expensive. I works if you can afford to pay for the food every week.

WW = works but you have to really work the program.

I did NS for a year back in 85. lost around 100 lbs and then gained it all back and then some. The food was pretty awful then, freeze dried for the most part. You would have to be really creative to make it food. The really bad part was the gas, cramping and "elimination issues" and most people lost thier gall bladder along the way. I didn't, but I do have stones. Anybody get thier GB out at the same time they got the band?

...cat

I did NS for a year back in 85. lost around 100 lbs and then gained it all back and then some. The food was pretty awful then, freeze dried for the most part. You would have to be really creative to make it food. The really bad part was the gas, cramping and "elimination issues" and most people lost thier gall bladder along the way. I didn't, but I do have stones. Anybody get thier GB out at the same time they got the band?

...cat

Cat,

My surgeon won't take the gallbladder out the same time he places a LB. He said that if one is having gallbladder issues then there is infection and said it's too much of a risk to do it at the same time. He advises taking it out before or after LB surgery.