Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I just received a packet from the Surgeon's office (consult date 21st) in the packet there was a list of 7 required tests one of which is a Esophageal Manometry. Has anyone had to have one done, I don't like tubes or anything put down my throat.

Now before I was trying to go through Tricare and was going self pay that was not a requirement of the other Surgeon I had planned on going to.

Has anyone else had thier doctor order one of these as a requirement?

Thanks

Different surgeons require different pre-op testing. For the esophageal test, you're required to have nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before the test. Most testing of this type is done with sedation... a small IV and they push the medication through the IV line. It takes less than 10 minutes and you feel nothing.

I just got insurance approval yesterday:thumbup: and my surgeon requires an Esophageal Manometry. It doesn't sound too awful bad. Ill be having it done soon.

Dr. R Greg Credi in South Bend, IN. Im scheduled for a Gall Bladder Ultrasound, a new sleep Study and the esoghageal manometry as my Pre-ops so far.

Hello, I have to have an esophageal manometry. It measures the pressure in your esophagus. No big deal, no pain I heard just discomfort. Did anyone have the test and still get the band.?

I just had this test done the other day. I was so nervous i was freaking out. It was very simple. not a big deal at all. Just a bad runny nose for the rest of the day. Just stay relaxed and it will be a piece of cake. Good luck!

Hello! I just received a packet from the Surgeon's office (consult date 21st) in the packet there was a list of 7 required tests one of which is a Esophageal Manometry. Has anyone had to have one done, I don't like tubes or anything put down my throat.

Now before I was trying to go through Tricare and was going self pay that was not a requirement of the other Surgeon I had planned on going to.

Has anyone else had thier doctor order one of these as a requirement?

Thanks

I was banded 7 weeks ago and doing great. I was going to have my surgery at a hospital that required the mannometry test . The day of the test I was scheduled to have a colonoscopy as well. They took me in to do the mannometry test and the nurse asked me why I was having it done? I told her it was a requirement for the surgery. She said at her hospital she had NEVER seen anyone have this test for lap band. She called the bariatric dept. right then and I decided as I was in the room that I would switch hospitals and not have this horrible test performed unnecessarily. I am SO HAPPY I made that decision. The test can be painful and very invasive. I was told that you canno't be sedated because it will affect the test's outcome. And it may include having to keep the tube down your nose into your stomach to test your stomach acids over night, YUCK. I would definitely find out why they have to do the test and if there is another way. NO-ONE was going to stick anything down my nose, no way. I just wanted you to know there are other options, I am living proof.

robby, thank you. how long did it take to get your results . I have to ask gastro to day to sdhedule one for me. But I had a surgery date of 4/28 which at this point will be pushed up. I just need to know how long will it take for the results and if they will still band me?

I dont know if they recieved my results yet. They reffered me to a specific doctor that they send all their patients too so i dont think it took to long. Call the office you went to and ask if they sent your results yet. Every office is different.

I'm curious about this too. I had my Pre-Op's that included the upper GI with Barium stuff (YUCK). My surgery is the 30th of April, and they called me yesterday and scheduled me for a Manometry because the doctor noticed 'slow swallowing'. I also have a hiatal hernia and some reflux. I worried now there may be a problem.

I'm curious about this too. I had my Pre-Op's that included the upper GI with Barium stuff (YUCK). My surgery is the 30th of April, and they called me yesterday and scheduled me for a Manometry because the doctor noticed 'slow swallowing'. I also have a hiatal hernia and some reflux. I worried now there may be a problem.

I had been on meds. for reflux for over 15 years and when I had my band surgery they also repaired a huge hiatal hernia and I didn't have to get a manometry test. I would take a barium swallow any day over the manometry test, that is a big YUCK in my book.

Well I had my Esophageal Manometry done. Wow, the upper GI with Barium is easier. After my upper GI they noticed slowed swallowing so they did this other thing just to check it out. They put the gel up my nostril and I had to sniff it in, for numbing, then they put the tube up my nose and down my throat. It was awful. The gagging was hard to control at first. It was a long 20 minutes. But now it's over.

I had the manometry and GI. It was a requirement for surgery in my program. I still had surgery this past Wednesday.