Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone used Dr Ricardo Kelly?

I am thinking I may have to be a self pay and came across the lapband surgery for $6,500 with Dr Kelly in Mexico and was hoping I could here some reviews from some of you guys out there. The site I went to was mylapbandsurgery.com . I am totally nervous about the whole surgery in Mexico idea but it is waaayyy more affordable than here in the States. Please help to make me feel better about the whole surgery in Mexico idea. Thanks for any and all help. :drool:

I really don't know anything about this doctor, but I had come across this web site as well. It made me run for the hills. It seems so scam/spam! The doc might be great, but with a web site like this he sure isn't portraing that.

I'm also getting banded in Mexico (Dr. Arturo Rodriguez) and there are several docs that have fantastic reviews (Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Rodriguez, Dr. Rumbaut), though they are a bit more expensive.

Good luck with your decision.

ETA: I did a quick Google search for him and this post was the only thing that came up on the first page that had to do with him.

I have scheduled my surgery with Dr. Ramos Kelly in TJ for the 19th of April. I have not found a lot of things about him on the web, but he has nothing but good review by previous patients. I have spoke to many of them and they are very reassuring that he will treat you like gold while in his care. I would like to mention that they price you quoted is for the surgery to be done in the clinic not the hospital. I personaly would pay the extra $800 or so to have the procedure done in the hospital it's state of the art. This way if anything happens (anything at all) such as an emergency they can meet your needs. While in a clinic they will need to wait for a ambulance to come and transport you, they don't have 911 like we do here in the states so they just get to you when they can.

I frequent Mexico often, for medical care and they are just as educated as the doctors in the states. Many of the doctors do some schooling her in the states. I have had previous medical care in Mexico and they are just as good. I would be glad to let you know my experience when I am through it. I am very excited, and anxious for the skinny person with in me to break through agian. I hope this helps.

Hi. I am getting banded on the 3rd of April by Dr.Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico. In the beggining I was the same as most folks about the whole "Mexico" thing. But after doing much research I am at total peace with it. It has alot to do with the choice of Doctor. He has been doing it for 15+ yrs and was a part of the FDA trials here in America. He is an inovator where the LAPBAND is concerned. OK, Im starting to sound like a commercial. My point is, I think it is well worth the little bit of extra money to have someone you trust and can research successfully do your surgery. Whomever you pick, be comfortable with it. Ussually if you have gut feeling about something you should go with it. Cheaper is not always better, especially where your health is concerned. Research the "Obesity Surgery Center" in Monterrey Mexico. Good luck!!

I am thinking I may have to be a self pay and came across the lapband surgery for $6,500 with Dr Kelly in Mexico and was hoping I could here some reviews from some of you guys out there. The site I went to was mylapbandsurgery.com . I am totally nervous about the whole surgery in Mexico idea but it is waaayyy more affordable than here in the States. Please help to make me feel better about the whole surgery in Mexico idea. Thanks for any and all help. :thumbup:

What sort of research did you do on him?

I would highly suggest you do research before you use this DR. do your reasearch.He is cheap for a reason..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did and I chose not to use this Dr. Do your research... Go to wasabubblebutt thread on how to search for a mexican dr. it is vital to your health and extreamly important.......................................!!!!! Please!!!

I had my surgery on 3/7/08 and I have lost 10 lbs and I am feeling great..

If you want more information pm me.

Dr. Aceves MD

Mexicali, Mexico

thanks for the insight. I am still trying to get my insurance to pay for my surgery here in SPringfield however, if that does not go through, looks like I will be a self pay and have narrowed my search down to either ortiz or acevez. I want it done so bad,,,,,,cant wait to be one of you. :-)

I had the lapband done with Dr. Ramos Kelly and when I got home. I had a severe infection at the port site and had to have the port removed. I missed a month of work and it took 6 months for my port site wound to heal. I just rececently 9/15/08 had the port put back in by my Dr in the US. The surgery with Dr Kelly should have taken 30-45 minutes. I was in there for 3 1/2 hrs. My husband was told different reasons why, they needed to get the band then the machine broke down and they had to get a part to fix it. We will never know for sure what happened. I just know that I came home with a life threatening infection.

I had the lapband done with Dr. Ramos Kelly and when I got home. I had a severe infection at the port site and had to have the port removed. I missed a month of work and it took 6 months for my port site wound to heal. I just rececently 9/15/08 had the port put back in by my Dr in the US. The surgery with Dr Kelly should have taken 30-45 minutes. I was in there for 3 1/2 hrs. My husband was told different reasons why, they needed to get the band then the machine broke down and they had to get a part to fix it. We will never know for sure what happened. I just know that I came home with a life threatening infection.

Sometimes when the cost is less for surgery it is more when you get home and have to fix the problems.

Personally, I would not go to that clinic. As Innertube writes above, cheap is cheap for a reason.