Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long have you had your lap band?

I would love to hear some great stories from people who've had their bands for a long time. I'd like to get an idea of what the future may hold for me,.

Thanks in advance for sharing

I too would like to hear from people who have had their lapbands for an extended period of time. It is wonderful to hear the stories of successful bandits who have had their band for one and two years. But, I can't help wondering... where are the people who have had their bands for 3,4,5,6 years? Are they still successful and are just so busy leading their improved lives that they don't have the time/or need to read/post on this site, or have they NOT been successful so have lost interest in this site?

i've only had mine for 6 months

but i'm loving it. i haven't lost 120 lbs

but i'm ahead of my drs projections.

i went for my 3rd fill today and he said

i'm where he thought i'd be after a yr

and it's only been 6 months. so we're happy.

I'm at 17 months, so not an old timer really. But I've passed my surgeon's goal and am almost at my own (his was 80 kilos and mine is 65). I've not had any major problems, I had a minor incident where I had a stomach bug and needed an unfill, but other than the VERY occasional PB, I'd have to say its all gone to plan for me as far as my band goes. (I still struggle with my food issues though, I'll be honest about that).

My Dad has had his band almost 3 1/2 years though. He has had some problems with reflux and finding the right fill level, but he still says its the best things he ever did. He no longer has sleep aponea and is on reduced medication levels for other things he'd had for many years (and is even off some medications all together).

We love our bands!

I'm at 17 months, so not an old timer really. But I've passed my surgeon's goal and am almost at my own (his was 80 kilos and mine is 65). I've not had any major problems, I had a minor incident where I had a stomach bug and needed an unfill, but other than the VERY occasional PB, I'd have to say its all gone to plan for me as far as my band goes. (I still struggle with my food issues though, I'll be honest about that).

My Dad has had his band almost 3 1/2 years though. He has had some problems with reflux and finding the right fill level, but he still says its the best things he ever did. He no longer has sleep aponea and is on reduced medication levels for other things he'd had for many years (and is even off some medications all together).

We love our bands!

Thanks for the post. Good to know that you and your dad have had only minor complications and still love your bands. Any more long-time banders out there? Would like to hear from you and your experience(s) with the band. Thanks

I have been banded just over 3 years now, been at goal since June 2006, am happy and complication free.

Thanks for posting Chickie. You are an inspiration. I visited coffee Talk to see your photos but wasn't allowed to use the site since I am not a member.

I notice that once you made it to goal, you unfilled your band. Didn't the hunger return after you unfilled the band? How do you maintain your weight without some sort of restriction? Also, I'm amazed at how quickly you lost the weight since it appears that you are not very tall and we shorter ones with a little less to have weight to lose often lose weight more slowly. I'd really like to hear more about your story.

Thanks

Thanks for posting Chickie. You are an inspiration. I visited coffee Talk to see your photos but wasn't allowed to use the site since I am not a member.

I notice that once you made it to goal, you unfilled your band. Didn't the hunger return after you unfilled the band? How do you maintain your weight without some sort of restriction? Also, I'm amazed at how quickly you lost the weight since it appears that you are not very tall and we shorter ones with a little less to have weight to lose often lose weight more slowly. I'd really like to hear more about your story.

Thanks

I will move the thread to a forum that is open to the public :wink: And here is my personal web page (it hasn't been updated in quite a while)

I actually got to goal (60kg / 132lbs) in June of 2006 (I was banded in Feb of 2005 - 16 months to get to goal). By September 2006 I was down to 51kg / 112lbs, and after several small unfills I was still losing. By Christmas we just took the whole lot out to stop me from losing more weight. I have stabilized at 49kg / 107lbs.

No, I am not tall at all, so the almost 300lbs I was carting around was killing me, and I knew that if I didn't work the band, and change my lifestyle I was going to drown in fat.

So I started running, became vegetarian, and started living life to it's fullest.

There really isn't that much to tell to be honest. My story isn't exciting or sexy... I just worked my ass off. And it paid off. :smile:

Thanks!!

I'm sorry to disagree with you but... your story is very exciting and sexy. Any one who can start on this lapband journey and travel the LONG road to goal weight has an exciting story to tell. Although there are many bansters who lose weight with the band, the number who actual reach goal and maintain goal weight are much less. We certainly need stories of those who lose any amount of weight with the lap band but we especially need repeated stories from those who lose all their weight and stay there. Question: Do you get hungry since you no longer have a fill? Thanks

Have had the lap band for a little over 3 years. No serious complications, still love my band. Lost over a hundred pounds but after being too tight for awhile, it had put strain on my esophagus, so my current doctor had taken half the liquid out to give my esophagus a break for a month. I had regained 20 lbs during that time and had to begin the journey to find the sweet spot again. I'm at about 1/2 to 1 c a meal food right now so I think I'm okay for now. Just taking it more slowly this time and am always wary of being too tight.

I have been banded just over 3 years now' date=' been at goal since June 2006, am happy and complication free.[/quote']

THat is awesome. Hope to be like you! :)

I've had my band for five years this month I've already had it revised a year ago I lost 105 pounds which was goal for me in a two year period. Maintained for a year. I gained back 50 in the last two years with my complications from my band slipping I don't regret getting it but it's frustrating going through the issues. I feel that I have had to start over but the restriction now is way different than when I had my band the first time around. I have the same band but it was repositioned from the slip. My doctor said that there's a 50% chance that my band will slip again. Frustrating.