Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded November 07 and am still in search of the "sweet spot", Have resigned myself to the fact it is all a process and restriction will occur soon (am at 9cc my band holds 13cc) ANYWAY--I am now loosing my hair at what seems to be a ridiculous rate. This is new!!! I was told in my group that hairloss is the result of inadequate protien intake so I am sure to get at least 50 grams per day. Is there anything else I can do???--It is strange--I can bear walking around obese but the idea of thin stringy hair just kills me!!!!

you might try starting by adding 1mg of folic acid to your suppliment. for some it takes a 5mg, but please be mindful that B Vitamins are important to keep somewhat balanced..

Pasting so I can be lazy and not re-type.

Biotin does not prevent hairloss. If it did, we wouldn't have any bald people, and expensive products like Rogaine, and hair Clubs for Men, and wigs, and surgical treatments for hairloss, and...

Have you been tested to show a Biotin deficiency? If you have a biotin deficiency, you will lose hair. Period. Not just the hair on your head. Eyelashes, eyebrows, arm hair, etc. Taking biotin only increases the amount of biotin in your system, and that will only have a significant impact on hairloss (ALL hair) if you are counteracting a deficiency. As of about 4 months ago, there was never a single study ever that showed an improvement of hairloss by taking Biotin in people that did not have Biotin deficiences.

[...]

If you have a, or a few deficiences, you need to know exactly what they are and not just start popping supplements... that can be very bad for you. (People think they're harmless, so not true.)

If you search here and read through the hairloss threads (tons of them), the one thing you will find repeated by seasoned bandsters is that it's a waiting game. The hairloss starts, persists sometimes for 4-6+ months (about a year was the worst I remember), and then almost overnight it stops. There is no one product that consistently shows results.

By the way, IF you have a Biotin deficiency, which you probably don't, and IF taking Biotin helps with your all-over-the-body hairloss, it really is going to help all over the body. In other words, not only will your eyebrows, eyelashes, and arm hair grow, but so will ALL hair.

There's really nothing you can do for it, so save your money. Body trauma, including surgery, and anesthesia are known catalysts for Hair loss. Like everything hair, it's a cycle, and it too will change.

Hair loss has much more to do with the fact that your body underwent major trauma than it has to do with Protein. Any advice that tells you Protein overload is the answer -- take it with a grain of salt at best. You can lose hair if you have extreme protein (or most things including circulation/poor blood levels, etc.) deficiences, but we're just not likely to get there.

Surgery, period, can cause hairloss. A significant body trauma, period, can cause hairloss. Body shocks, period, can cause hairloss. Bandsters have all of the above. I lost MORE hair when I had my GB out than when I had my band surgery, and my protein/blood levels are just fine. Throwing more protein into my diet would have just made me work harder to lose weight.

We tend to run to our hairdressers for advice on hairloss because we assume they're experts, but they are no more experts on hairloss than someone who mows your lawn is an expert on soil chemistry. They can tell you how to style, cut, color, etc. but I've never once heard a hairdresser give good advice on hair loss. They're big on throwing protein at you - protein shampoos, conditioners... umm hello, hairloss is at the follicle... hair breakage is in the shaft, and might be aided by slathering on different shampoos and conditioners, but keeping a hair from breaking doesn't do much good when it's released at the follicle.

I was banded in November also and I have been losing hair at a ridiculous rate. Everytime I wash my hair I'm devasted to see how much more is gone! I have a pretty short sassy haircut so I really can't afford to lose much more without looking bald. My dietician said I should try to get as much Protein over the recommended 50 grams a day as I can. She also suggested using whey Protein Powder in fat free milk twice a day. I did that for two weeks and ended up gaining 6 pounds! Perhaps I might not have gained but I have a broken foot so I am not able to exercise like normal. I also bought some shampoo/conditoner at my salon, cancer patients use it (or so I am told) to help slow their Hair loss. It is called Nioxin, I got the Shampoo, conditioner, and a scalp treatment for 20 bucks. I think it may be helping somewhat. Just a suggestion.

wheetsin isvery wise...my gf lose a lot of hair 4 months after being hospitalized and she DID NOT have WLS or was losing weight. It was just the shock of being sick. It passed and her hair is back to normal

It's normal for dieters to lose hair....thinning of the hair.< /p>

But it's for sure there has not been one case where someone lost ALL of their hair. And it's temporary.

This is the time for you to try new things with your hair. And a time to laugh.

Congrats on the weightloss.

im losing my hair to. its thin to begin with but i have this bald spot where my bangs begin. im trying to be patient. i havent been eating enough Protein so i need to focus on that. its hard to say what will stop the process. does anyone know?

andrea

There are so many threads about losing hair. My hair is still falling out but it has slowed down. Believe me, I have tried everything anyone has suggested.

I have been told there is nothing anyone can do and it will stop when it wants to.

I am a hairstylist and I also teach cosmetology. You need to get at least 80 grams of protien in so that you will not loose your hair. I have seen this with a few of my clients. I will tell you in the spring some people seem to loose a lot of hair. Almost like an animal loosing it winter pelt. And some people seem to loose a lot of hair in the fall. I am one of those people. Another thing you can do is massage your head really well for at least 5 mins every day. That will bring the blood flow to your scalp and the papilla which is the mother of your hair bulb. Will be able to feed better.

I know I have gotten plenty of Protein because that was the first thing stressed to me before I had surgery. A lot of doctors don't want their patients to use Protein shakes. My doctor insists that his patients drink them in addition to their meals to add Protein.< /p>

Massaging the scalp really makes sense. That's the first new suggestion I have heard of besides adding Vitamins, etc. Thanks!