Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Norfolk Surgical Group

I too have claustrophobia and have sleep apnea. Have you tried to head gear that just goes into your nostrils and is not a mask? That is the only thing I could handle. It doesn't cover much of your face and you don't feel so closed in.

I haven't used the cpap since my surgery (March 13) but my husband has noticed me snoring again so I really should use it. I do get better sleep so you really should give it a try. I know it is hard and very frustrating, but you will probably feel better.

Good luck!

Thanks its good to know that I am not crazy! I have the mask for the nostrils, its much better than the mask, my problem is the machine continues to ramp up during the night and it burns my nose and makes my ears hurt.... any suggestions? I really need to call the nurse I guess. I am supposed to wear it for 30 days and I have only accomplished 8 since last month. I don't want to hold up my surgery but this is sooo aggrevating! Thanks for the support! Are you in VA also?

I have an appt. with Dr. Fontana on 06/06/08!! :thumbup:They have checked with my insurance so hopefully that is one hurdle crossed. I am so ready to get this done. I had really hoped to have surgery before my son starts kindergarten in September but I know the process takes a few months. I am just happy to have the ball rolling!:thumbup:

I have an appt. with Dr. Fontana on 06/06/08!! :thumbup:They have checked with my insurance so hopefully that is one hurdle crossed. I am so ready to get this done. I had really hoped to have surgery before my son starts kindergarten in September but I know the process takes a few months. I am just happy to have the ball rolling!:eek:

that is great!!! i am a patient of him too! he is really nice and seemed very knowledgeable! he actually answered all my questions b4 i could even ask. the people r very nice and it has been a pretty smooth ride so far. good luck on your journey! keep us informed.:thumbup:

Della, Yes that was the same meeting. It is a small world. My mom is waiting for them to call her for her initial appt. I ended up being impatient and taking an appt 2 weeks earlier rather than waiting for an opening with Fontana, so I will be using Snyder. Brooks did my original seminar & I wasnt that impressed, but now that I have seen Fontana I can see why is popular because he seems straightforward and easy going. Brooks was kind of dry.

Bummer about the 1-year MD managed weight maintenance. How far through that are you? My insurance requires 6-mos and I have 2 already with my PCP, so hopefully that 4 months will fly by. I am hoping for an Aug. surgery date!!

Thanks for all the info & support!

that is funny that we were all at the same meeting. yeah i c dr fontana is pretty popular.i haven't met any of the other dr's. but my friend is seeing dr boustany for gastric bypass and she really likes him.

yes a year is a long time. i have done weight watchers since 05 untill jan of this year with minimal weight loss here and there and always gain it back because i am hungry. so i love the idea of the band making me feel full quicker so u don't feel like u r starving. i'm hoping that coupled with the last 3 months supervised will be enough. if not then i will only have 9 month left since i am done with the program.

Thanks its good to know that I am not crazy! I have the mask for the nostrils, its much better than the mask, my problem is the machine continues to ramp up during the night and it burns my nose and makes my ears hurt.... any suggestions? I really need to call the nurse I guess. I am supposed to wear it for 30 days and I have only accomplished 8 since last month. I don't want to hold up my surgery but this is sooo aggrevating! Thanks for the support! Are you in VA also?

Can you add Water to your CPAP? If not, ask for the machine that you can put Water in. It adds moisture so the burning shouldn't be bad.

I fight with the tubing of my machine and if things get a little lopsided it wakes me up because of the difference in the noise. I'm a very light sleeper and the pitch change is enough to wake me up. I also have to run a fan to drown out the noise of the cpap. Its not very loud, its just different. I also have to cover up the machine with a towel because the light on it bothers me.

People at work say I'm just weird but I sure would like to see them sleep with that contraption on. I think they would feel a little different if they did.

But, honestly, you really should try your best to wear it...especially if it is a prerequisite to the surgery. :thumbup:

I met with Dr. Fontana on 06/06, he was really nice as was his nurse. He would like me to try to loose 25 lbs. before we set up surgery, he says it would make surgery easier---I seem to carry my weight in the middle--right where he needs to get to! I am trying! I have appt. for blood work and EKG next week and psych. appt 07/31. So I am at least moving along in the process. Have to set up appt. with dietician and go to support group and get release from obgyn (had cervical cancer 3 years ago) and pulmonary (sleep apnea). I am so ready to get my band. Really did not want to see the # I saw on scales!! Highest I've ever been. Wish me luck on the dieting!

Hi all, I finally have my surgery date on 8/21 with Fontana and I am so excited. I just wanted to tell everyone who is stuck in insurance limbo to hang in there. My mom & I are going through this process together and I got in & got my date without issue but my mom got caught up in the insurance red tape so it looks like we wont be banded around the same time. At least I will have gone through it and she will know what to expect. She is more nervous than I am.

Even if it takes awhile to get that magical surgery date, it will all be worth the wait. Now, if I can endure that pre-op week of liquids that starts for me this Thursday, I will be fine. I am not worried about the week or 2 on liquids after the surgery since I wont want to eat then anyway, but this upcoming week while I am still starving will be rough. And finally saying my forever goodbye to my beloved diet soda. I have gone down to one per day (before that is ALL I drank morning, noon & night) but that final soda will be sad for me. Wish me luck! :thumbup:

Heather, congratulations on your band date. My mom, who will be 77 next month, had her surgery 5 months after me, ours was opposite, plus insurance paid hers, but I was self-pay.

It did help I was able to share my experience with her and gave her insight as what to expect. We also have a lot of laughs sharing our embarrassing lapband moments.

Good Luck!

Harley, Actually our situation is very similar. I am going first, not sure when my mom is going (she has no date yet) and I am self-pay where she is the one in insurance limbo.

I am looking forward to sharing the experience with my mom. I am glad things went well for you all & am glad to not go through it alone. I think her date will be October, so it wont be quite 5 months after mine, but long enough after mine that she will know what to expect.

Thanks for sharing your similar situation with me.

Heather, I always thought I had Diet Coke in my veins, LOL. There are days I think, boy a Diet Coke would hit the spot, then I think of how sweet they are and I don't think I could do more than a sip now.

Now it's either light lemonade or a screwdriver, LOL.

Good luck!

Carla, I'm surprised you still need the cpap machine, you're doing awesome with your weight loss. What do your co-workers think now?

I didn't know you slept at your job, that's very interesting.

Hi all, I finally have my surgery date on 8/21 with Fontana and I am so excited. I just wanted to tell everyone who is stuck in insurance limbo to hang in there. My mom & I are going through this process together and I got in & got my date without issue but my mom got caught up in the insurance red tape so it looks like we wont be banded around the same time. At least I will have gone through it and she will know what to expect. She is more nervous than I am.

Even if it takes awhile to get that magical surgery date, it will all be worth the wait. Now, if I can endure that pre-op week of liquids that starts for me this Thursday, I will be fine. I am not worried about the week or 2 on liquids after the surgery since I wont want to eat then anyway, but this upcoming week while I am still starving will be rough. And finally saying my forever goodbye to my beloved diet soda. I have gone down to one per day (before that is ALL I drank morning, noon & night) but that final soda will be sad for me. Wish me luck! :)

That's great that you have your date!! Congratulations!!:cool2: I just had my surgery Aug. 4th with Dr. Fontana. I can tell you that the whole experience was wonderful. From check in to check out! Everyone in the short stay unit was wonderful. I have nothing negative to say. I was very happy with my first surgery and hospital stay. I have had no problems and am doing very well so far. The liquid diet really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was only a little harder the last 2 days because it was the wknd. I had more free time and was used to going out to eat alot. But I lost 13lbs on it and felt pretty good. So good luck with your surgery and keep us informed!

ps sugar free popsicles were my best friend during the liquid diet and are unlimited pre op....:biggrin:

Della, Yes that was the same meeting. It is a small world. My mom is waiting for them to call her for her initial appt. I ended up being impatient and taking an appt 2 weeks earlier rather than waiting for an opening with Fontana, so I will be using Snyder. Brooks did my original seminar & I wasnt that impressed, but now that I have seen Fontana I can see why is popular because he seems straightforward and easy going. Brooks was kind of dry.

Bummer about the 1-year MD managed weight maintenance. How far through that are you? My insurance requires 6-mos and I have 2 already with my PCP, so hopefully that 4 months will fly by. I am hoping for an Aug. surgery date!!

Thanks for all the info & support!

hello heather, saw your surgery is today! just wanna wish you luck!! it really is easier than you probably think. everyone at ng is wonderful. they really make things quick and easy and everyone was really nice. let us know how you are when you can. again good luck!!:smile2: